DX220-EX Impressions
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #16 of 41
Hey Steve,

There's a huge smile on my face right now, knowing that there must be a huge smile on your face right now.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the 220EX! And, I have to hand it to you. You wore Vince down, no mean feat! Now you can enjoy the 220EX always.

I just finished my 220EXmod, and have just started taking it through the burn in process. I'll post some impressions after I give it some time.

But, I'm going on memory as to how the modded version sounds compared to stock.

As you listen can you post A/B comparisons between 220EX and 220 stock?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 41
Hey Steve,

There's a huge smile on my face right now, knowing that there must be a huge smile on your face right now.

I'm so glad you're enjoying the 220EX! And, I have to hand it to you. You wore Vince down, no mean feat! Now you can enjoy the 220EX always.

I just finished my 220EXmod, and have just started taking it through the burn in process. I'll post some impressions after I give it some time.

But, I'm going on memory as to how the modded version sounds compared to stock.

As you listen can you post A/B compassions between 220EX and 220 stock?

1 up for everything said ! LOL

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 41
Absolutely! I'm finding the differences to be pretty big. The sound with the DX220-EX is richer, fuller...lol more "juicy". Of course the stock version is fantastic and has already earned it's place in the best DAP's in the last 15yrs. But that being said, playing the same tracks side by side, you can definitely tell the difference with the EX. It's more lively, the depth of the sound is just CRAZY. The depth of the stock is fantastic, but the EX mods absolutely bring that to the level ABOVE the next level.

Wow..I'm gonna use that in my next review. lol

Jul 12, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 41
OK, so I've paired up the DX220EX with the AMP8EX today to give it some time. The AMP8EX is not burned in yet, but HOLY CRAP it sounds absolutely phenomenal. I pulled out the iBasso SR1's today to see how they would sound and as expected, they sound great. However, the LCD2's sound better. I have a bit of a problem...I never burned in the SR1's and I barely burned in the Ether2's...lol. The only cans I have that are absolutely burned in are the LCD2's. I'm going to switch out to the SR1's for a week straight and then have to figure something out for the Ether2's. While they sound fantastic, they can't even be called "open back", they're like having "no back". You hear EVERYTHING that is going on in those headphones...and loudly. LOL my wife hates them.

Oct 19, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #20 of 41
Now that I've had the DX220EX and the AMPEX for a few months I think it's time for an update.

The AMP module has burned in beautifully and has matured in sound beyond my wildest dreams. The clarity and tone sound beautiful with whatever music I've thrown at it. Everything from classical, classic rock, country, and EDM. One thing I have noticed is that it keeps it's sound signature even at very high volumes when piped out to my house speakers. That's pretty amazing and no other AMP module has performed like this one. The closest was the AMP3EX if I remember correctly.

The crunch of guitars with this AMP blows away the previous AMP module, without a doubt. The soundstage is wide open...but...in other tracks it's as intimate as being in a small jazz club. When playing "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield, it's as if you're sitting in front of her while she's singing. WOW...just wow. Try that on your current AMP module and compare it to what I just wrote. Amazing. Another thing that's matured is the punch of the AMP8EX with electric guitars. Perhaps punch isn't the right word... the crunch is more accurate. It's impactful and feels like it's right in front of you.

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 41
Interesting development on the DX220 thread...

Oct 19, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #23 of 41
Well, we gotta remind ourselves that there are people getting paid to ruin things for others, anything that can ruin a company rep, product rep, or hinder and slow down their business ...etc
Yeah - now it is locked for crying out loud! Hopefully the admins can figure a way to unlock that thread and either move all the special run info to a separate, dedicated thread or just ban the users that can't play nice with others and abide by the forum rules...

Anyways, Vince - I hope you realize how grateful most of us are for you sharing your mods and making the special run happen.

Cheers,
Tim

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 41
Never had a chance to compare.

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 41
I got DX220 EX with AMP8 EX. I notice the bass quantity is a little too much. What filters or settings would help me tame it down?

Full burnt in ?

Feb 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #28 of 41
That is interesting, it should be dynamic punches instead of being overwhelming bass emphasis

The different signatures can be alternated by using different modes aka Pure Mango has more bass quality VS Mango in Android VS Other media players

Digital filters will help, but that is up to your personal experiences. Try and see which one is your best preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back