DX220-EX Impressions
Jul 6, 2019 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

icefalkon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there, I've started this thread to post my findings and impressions using the DX220-EX lent to my by @Whitigir .

First I have to say that when I got it, it was paired with the AMP8-EX he modded for me. I listend and had to stop before my ears got spoiled with the sound. I moved the AMP8-EX over to my stock DX220 where it's burning in nicely.

I then put the AMP1 MKII-EX on the modded DX220-EX and have that going into a Cavalli Liquid Platinum amplifier via Line Out.

I was previously using my stock AMP1 MKII in this configuration and had to see what the sonic differences are.

For testing, I will be using Audeze LCD2 Fazer's, Mr. Speakers Ether2's, and iBasso SR1's. Each impression will be with one of the above which I'll make known at the beginning of the impression.

Thank you,

Icefalkon

Enjoy the Music

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 41
The first test is using Ether2's.

At the start, I have to say the sound "quality" is much higher than my standard stock rig. The Cavalli LP is a great hybrid tube amp for under $1K and I'm listening to the DX220-EX/ASMP1-MKII-EX in Android mode. The soundstage is fantastic is incredibly wide and the vocals are hitting the sweet spot. I'm hearing nuances of the music that I've never heard before and that's one of my biggest turn on's with this hobby. Hearing things that are lost in the digital reproduction of songs. The EX mods have brought this already fantastic piece of kit to the next level of audio bliss. The timbre and bass are TIGHT and the vocals are amazing. When listening to The Scorpions, "Still Loving You", it sounded SO good that my wife had to stomp her feet to get my attention because I was zoned out. Yeah, it sounds THAT good. Towards the end of the song when Klaus Meine is singing the chorus and there's the background lead guitar is wailing, it sounds absolutely magical!

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #3 of 41
Please explain what the "EX" means.

Also provide info on what is exactly "modded" for the DX220-EX, AMP1 MKII-EX, and AMP8-EX.

Did @Whitigir perform all these mods? Can the mods be easily conducted by others?

Looking forward to this what could be interesting read.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 41
EX means EXtreme-Fidelity. It was original developed by my own experiences and personal opinions together with @bden59 to bring out the best potentials of the devices. The list of DIY components and how to is listed here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx200-220-amp8-amp1-ex-modifications.898918/

I will clarify it here that I am in no interests to Modify the devices for anyone. I am just an enthusiast that love portable audio and love to modify to bring the best out of some equipments. I am happy to share the details, but not interested in taking services requests.

Therefore, all of the mods can be done by any experienced technicians or even yourself if you are handy with Soldering station

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #5 of 41
Hi S2,

The EX stands for EXtreme Fidelity. He's the author and engineer of these mods. While anyone with skill can do them, as Vince has made it clear in the DX220 thread, this should only be attempted by someone skilled in soldering fine electronics.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 41
EX means EXtreme-Fidelity. It was original developed by my own experiences and personal opinions together with @bden59 to bring out the best potentials of the devices. The list of DIY components and how to is listed here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx200-220-amp8-amp1-ex-modifications.898918/

I will clarify it here that I am in no interests to Modify the devices for anyone. I am just an enthusiast that love portable audio and love to modify to bring the best out of some equipments. I am happy to share the details, but not interested in taking services requests.

Therefore, all of the mods can be done by any experienced technicians or even yourself if you are handy with Soldering station

Yeah...what he said...lol

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 41
I've switched over to the LCD2's and I'm listening to "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and the audio effects in the song sound fantastic. Where you have the background chorus, the mids come out even clearer than I've ever heard the DX220 put out. This sound signature is like honey, homemade chocolate chip cookies, a great steak...all wrapped up in one. WOW

Talk about addicting!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 41
I've switched over to the LCD2's and I'm listening to "I Wanna Know What Love Is" and the audio effects in the song sound fantastic. Where you have the background chorus, the mids come out even clearer than I've ever heard the DX220 put out. This sound signature is like honey, homemade chocolate chip cookies, a great steak...all wrapped up in one. WOW

Talk about addicting!

I love this! Pure excitements and enjoyments, when Steve’s Audiophile language is gone, and it is traded off for “food”, I know how happy he is :wink:

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 41
I love this! Pure excitements and enjoyments, when Steve’s Audiophile language is gone, and it is traded off for “food”, I know how happy he is :wink:

LOL shaddup! :wink:

My wife says the EXACT same thing!

When I'm excited about something the food analogies come out! I think it's easier for people new to the hobby to relate...lol.

At least that's what I tell myself!

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 41
I'm a big acoustic fan and Poison's "Every Rose Has A Thorn" sounds like I'm in the studio, actually IN the studio listening and watching this. The detail and soundstage is crazy. This sounds as good as some of the $10K systems I heard at the AXPONA show...and this amp isn't anything "high end". I can't help but wonder what this would sound like with say...a Manley or a Wells? Crazy.

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 41
I'm a big acoustic fan and Poison's "Every Rose Has A Thorn" sounds like I'm in the studio, actually IN the studio listening and watching this. The detail and soundstage is crazy. This sounds as good as some of the $10K systems I heard at the AXPONA show...and this amp isn't anything "high end". I can't help but wonder what this would sound like with say...a Manley or a Wells? Crazy.
Try dx220ex and Amp3-EX line out :wink: talk about soundstage and Analog delicacy .

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 41
Ha! I'm not ready for dessert yet dammit! We're only at the appetizer stage Vince! :wink:

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 41
Jul 8, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 41
Yesterday I switched over to the AMP3-EX with the balanced outputs. I'm using the LCD2 Fazors and playing DSD512 files. The sound is absolutely amazing. There is more oomph in the music and the details brought out by the unit with the DSD files is unlike anything I've ever heard before. I'm in Pure Mango with high gain and the volume sitting around 50. There is not any distortion whatsoever and the silence between tracks is deafening...just how I like it. I'm telling you, this player is brought to the top of my equipment list. I can only "try" to explain how good this sounds but it's more than I can put into words right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back