DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #12,676 of 13,478
Well, you know what? Never mind! I spent over an hour comparing DX220 with Cayin N6ii and Lotto PAW 6000, cycling back to my Fiio M11. DX220 has the remarkable staging I'm after and a gorgeous sound. I'm just going to stay happy with the incoming treat!!!

So, you believe the DX220 is better than the Fiio M11? How did they compare on vocals/bass and detail? I'm looking to upgrade my DAP (from an AK 120 II) but can't demo the M11 or DX220 and compare to my AK DAP. I'm yet to compare the specs of the M11 to the DX220 either to see what the non-sound quality differences are.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #12,677 of 13,478
Today I ordered the DX220 with Amp 8 and 9
Today I discovered a DX300 is on the way

Well, you know what? Never mind! I spent over an hour comparing DX220 with Cayin N6ii and Lotto PAW 6000, cycling back to my Fiio M11. DX220 has the remarkable staging I'm after and a gorgeous sound. I'm just going to stay happy with the incoming treat!!!
Which AMP u used for N6ii ?
LP6000 is to segmented sounding.. but the best double pedal bass can be exp with LP6k...IMO
M11... M11 Pro is more proper IMO.

DX220 have quite unique sound... not a taste for everyone, but can be deceiving when you MOD it...
so IMO, you re investing on a device that upgrade able.
even I reMod my AMP8EX-FE to get the sound sig I preferred...
stay chilled... there is not something wrong with AMP8EX-FE.
It just my own desire to push this to a limit where as the goal of my own preferred sound signature...

20201030_191846.jpg

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #12,678 of 13,478
So, you believe the DX220 is better than the Fiio M11? How did they compare on vocals/bass and detail? I'm looking to upgrade my DAP (from an AK 120 II) but can't demo the M11 or DX220 and compare to my AK DAP. I'm yet to compare the specs of the M11 to the DX220 either to see what the non-sound quality differences are.

First of all - if you are considering the M11 I would say save a little longer and aim for the M11 Pro - everyone says it is better.

Here's what I'll say from today - obviously this is my opinion, based on my tastes and experienced via my ears - demos are essential to find out what's right for you.
N6ii - way too soft and slightly bloated in the low end. Or muddy. If not comparing to something else, it's a nice sound. But I found the M11 to have far more detail and a more controlled bass. Less bass, to be fair, but also more controlled. N6ii I tried with E02 which, after research, seemed to be my best bet. Perhaps I would have preferred T01. Ah well.

Lotoo PAW 6K - to my ears, a fraction more detail in the upper frequencies than the M11. But only a fraction. Definitely not enough to justify an upgrade. Didn't really notice the low end. I found the signatures very close.

iBasso DX220 - tried with Amp 9 which I wasn't originally aiming for (I wanted 8). First of all, this absolutely delivered the holographic image which everyone talks about. This was what I was after and I loved the staging and imaging. A solid few steps up from the somewhat two dimensional M11. I would say there's a touch more upper end detail in the DX220, while bass had more punch and reached down lower as well. Like I said, that soundstage was what I wanted and that really sealed the deal for me.

I would say that one thing that was made very clear was the remarkable bargain the M11 represents. Half (or less) the price of what I was testing and I thought it really stood its ground. I would still recommend it and won't be parting with mine any time soon. That said, received wisdom puts the M11 Pro a fair bit ahead.

I was listening on my usual dailies - Hifiman Ananda and InEar Prophile 8S. DX220 took my gear to the next level and showed that the M11 had been holding both sets back a bit.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #12,680 of 13,478
DX220 took my gear to the next level and showed that the M11 had been holding both sets back a bit.

Well, the DX220 is sound like a better long term solution for me.

Just been talking via live chat to a trusted retailer and he thinks the DX220 is a bit warmer and more detailed than the Fiio M11 and the M11 is pretty similar sounding to my AK 120 II unit.

So, it looks like the M11 would be a sidewise move in terms of SQ (but a much better screen etc). So, gonna go compare the DX220/M11 specs and mull things over.

edit: headphones used with the new unit would be:

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD540 Gold Reference
Audeze LCD2
CCA C10 IEMs (potentially looking to upgrade to the Moondrop Blessing 2 down the track).

I'm an older guy (51) with higher range hearing loss in both ears (no hearing aids, my hearing loss is above the workable range of hearing aids so they're of no use to me and my hearing condition).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #12,681 of 13,478
Well, the DX220 is sound like a better long term solution for me.

Just been talking via live chat to a trusted retailer and he thinks the DX220 is a bit warmer and more detailed than the Fiio M11 and the M11 is pretty similar sounding to my AK 120 II unit.

So, it looks like the M11 would be a sidewise move in terms of SQ (but a much better screen etc). So, gonna go compare the DX220/M11 specs and mull things over.

edit: headphones used with the new unit would be:

Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD540 Gold Reference
Audeze LCD2
CCA C10 IEMs (potentially looking to upgrade to the Moondrop Blessing 2 down the track).

I'm an older guy (51) with higher range hearing loss in both ears (no hearing aids, my hearing loss is above the workable range of hearing aids so they're of no use to me and my hearing condition).

I personally came from M11 and after shortly owning both M11 and DX220, it was an easy choice.

Sound-wise:
  • M11 is a flatter and neutral presentation. Smooth but lacks excitement for me. Noise floor is high for sensitive IEMs (> 17-ohms recommended by Fiio but your headphones shouldn't be a problem)
  • DX220 Amp1 is a little more exciting than neutral. Deeper blacker background and holographic.
  • With DX220, you have the choice of amps! Amp8 (and EX) and Amp9 takes this up 2-3 notches (no contest with M11 in my view)
UI/build
  • M11 looks and feels (heavier) more premium than DX220
  • M11 has cellphone like Android snappiness
  • M11 player was half baked when I had it (hard to navigate, corrupt Japanese characters, problems with USB DAC mode, etc)
  • DX220 is light and portable
  • DX220 UI and player might feel more primitive
  • DX220 Mango OS mode turns this into pure audio machine and it delivers on sound quality
Overall, I agree with the earlier comment that M11 is a lower-tier player. I think DX220 competes with M11pro/M15 and N6ii.

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #12,682 of 13,478
I personally came from M11 and after shortly owning both M11 and DX220, it was an easy choice.

Sound-wise:
  • M11 is a flatter and neutral presentation. Smooth but lacks excitement for me. Noise floor is high for sensitive IEMs (> 17-ohms recommended by Fiio but your headphones shouldn't be a problem)
  • DX220 Amp1 is a little more exciting than neutral. Deeper blacker background and holographic.
  • With DX220, you have the choice of amps! Amp8 (and EX) and Amp9 takes this up 2-3 notches (no contest with M11 in my view)
UI/build
  • M11 looks and feels (heavier) more premium than DX220
  • M11 has cellphone like Android snappiness
  • M11 player was half baked when I had it (hard to navigate, corrupt Japanese characters, problems with USB DAC mode, etc)
  • DX220 is light and portable
  • DX220 UI and player might feel more primitive
  • DX220 Mango OS mode turns this into pure audio machine and it delivers on sound quality
Overall, I agree with the earlier comment that M11 is a lower-tier player. I think DX220 competes with M11pro/M15 and N6ii.

The amp modularity sold it on me. I also wanted a more holographic soundstage. I'm reading praises for both amp 8 and amp 9 (and even amp 7) - amp 9 makes me very curious since it apparently has a micro valve (tube) in it and I prefer valve amplification to solid state (actually, I prefer single ended triode valve amps lol to be more precise).

Watching a video comparing the M11 to the DX220, both were snappy enough for me - yes the Fiio unit is a faction snappier, but it's not the most important thing for me as a user and both are snappier than my now very old AK 120 II unit.

Also, same said video, I preferred the DX220 UI to the Fiio UI. I'm very fussy with UIs and very touchy with them. I don't like clutter and I like things k.i.s.s. Plus, larger icons and text on the DX220 are easier for my tired and poor old eyes (yes, eye problems too).

Interestingly, the weight on the DX220 is heavier (177gm vs 240gm from memory) - it's also slightly smaller, which I like too, since I am not a fan of massive phones in my pocket (I find them very annoying to be brutally honest).

I like the look of MangoOS so far - I'm still looking for a video that shows more in depth the MangOS.

edit:

As it stands, the DX220 unit sells for AUD $1399 here in Australia and it looks like I'm going to be lucky (first for me lol!!!) to score an ex-demo unit (complete with all box and accessories) from a retailer for AUD $950 - $400 AUD+ off the price...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #12,683 of 13,478
The amp modularity sold it on me. I also wanted a more holographic soundstage. I'm reading praises for both amp 8 and amp 9 (and even amp 7) - amp 9 makes me very curious since it apparently has a micro valve (tube) in it and I prefer valve amplification to solid state (actually, I prefer single ended triode valve amps lol to be more precise).

Watching a video comparing the M11 to the DX220, both were snappy enough for me - yes the Fiio unit is a faction snappier, but it's not the most important thing for me as a user and both are snappier than my now very old AK 120 II unit.

Also, same said video, I preferred the DX220 UI to the Fiio UI. I'm very fussy with UIs and very touchy with them. I don't like clutter and I like things k.i.s.s. Plus, larger icons and text on the DX220 are easier for my tired and poor old eyes (yes, eye problems too).

Interestingly, the weight on the DX220 is heavier (177gm vs 240gm from memory) - it's also slightly smaller, which I like too, since I am not a fan of massive phones in my pocket (I find them very annoying to be brutally honest).

I like the look of MangoOS so far - I'm still looking for a video that shows more in depth the MangOS.

edit:

As it stands, the DX200 unit sells for AUD $1399 here in Australia and it looks like I'm going to be lucky (first for me lol!!!) to score an ex-demo unit (complete with all box and accessories) from a retailer for AUD $950 - $400 AUD+ off the price...

Two quick points:

1) Might be a typo but in your edit you talk about the 200. I wouldn't go for the 200, stick to the 220.
2) Amp 9 had a lovely sound (and I bought it) but the power output is really quite low (200mw I think). With everything on high gain, I was able to get acceptable 'indoor' level on the Ananda but it was struggling a little and certainly wouldn't be loud enough if I was outside. Considering you're looking to drive full size headphones, I wouldn't have Amp 9 as the only amp. (being the compulsive bugger I am, I bought 9 and 8)

Oh yes, that was the other thing:
I'm 50. I don't have any recorded hearing loss but obviously we lose some of the upper frequencies the older we get. I had begun to think that I would not be able to experience real "out of head" soundstage since everything I tried failed to deliver. I got it with the 220, very much so.

Oct 31, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #12,684 of 13,478
Two quick points:

1) Might be a typo but in your edit you talk about the 200. I wouldn't go for the 200, stick to the 220.
2) Amp 9 had a lovely sound (and I bought it) but the power output is really quite low (200mw I think). With everything on high gain, I was able to get acceptable 'indoor' level on the Ananda but it was struggling a little and certainly wouldn't be loud enough if I was outside. Considering you're looking to drive full size headphones, I wouldn't have Amp 9 as the only amp. (being the compulsive bugger I am, I bought 9 and 8)

Oh yes, that was the other thing:
I'm 50. I don't have any recorded hearing loss but obviously we lose some of the upper frequencies the older we get. I had begun to think that I would not be able to experience real "out of head" soundstage since everything I tried failed to deliver. I got it with the 220, very much so.

Yes, it was a typo, meant DX220! I have corrected this now.

full size headphones at home, the CCA C10 IEMs when out and about. I was thinking of getting the amp 8 & 9. I will admit, the 9 was first on my list, but I didn't realise that it was so low powered, so will go the 8 first and then 9 later. Thanks for the heads up. I am also a compulsive bugger. I think it comes with the age :wink:

You are lucky then! I have an 80% hearing loss at 8khz in the Right ear but dips @ 6khz and above 8 khz too. The Left ear is better, but not by much. A combination of not looking after my ears when I was younger, and of course, old age.

Oct 31, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #12,685 of 13,478

edit:

As it stands, the DX220 unit sells for AUD $1399 here in Australia and it looks like I'm going to be lucky (first for me lol!!!) to score an ex-demo unit (complete with all box and accessories) from a retailer for AUD $950 - $400 AUD+ off the price...

You are right, thanks for catching that :wink: It looks like M11 is 211g vs DX220 240g.

For simplicity, it sounds like DX220 Mango OS will be a fit for you. A side note is that if you are a streaming service (Tidal, Spotify, etc) user, then you have to go back and forth to Android mode and Mango OS (play only from memory).

Good luck!

Oct 31, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #12,686 of 13,478
You are right, thanks for catching that :wink: It looks like M11 is 211g vs DX220 240g.

For simplicity, it sounds like DX220 Mango OS will be a fit for you. A side note is that if you are a streaming service (Tidal, Spotify, etc) user, then you have to go back and forth to Android mode and Mango OS (play only from memory).

Good luck!

I doubt many people can reliably tell 30g in the hand, so it's not a biggie. Both the M11 and DX220 are heavier than my AK 120II, but not badly so. My iPhone 6 is 129gm, so not much difference. I do like the slimness of the AK unit, but you can't have a decent screen and a slim unit, and with my eyes getting worse, a larger screen is a better option these days.

I don't really stream, so not an issue.

Item should be shipped on Monday via express post, so I'll probably get it Wednesday/Thursday (Sydney to Brisbane).

A question - what is the 2.2mm burn in cable for?

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #12,687 of 13,478
Does anyone have the user manual in PDF form? it's not available on the iBasso website...

Oct 31, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #12,689 of 13,478
Oct 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #12,690 of 13,478
I doubt many people can reliably tell 30g in the hand, so it's not a biggie. Both the M11 and DX220 are heavier than my AK 120II, but not badly so. My iPhone 6 is 129gm, so not much difference. I do like the slimness of the AK unit, but you can't have a decent screen and a slim unit, and with my eyes getting worse, a larger screen is a better option these days.

I don't really stream, so not an issue.

Item should be shipped on Monday via express post, so I'll probably get it Wednesday/Thursday (Sydney to Brisbane).

A question - what is the 2.2mm burn in cable for?

Ah....here we go.....

So there is a school of thought that some audio gear sounds better with a certain amount of use - that's "burn-in", the hours spent playing audio.
Generally this is limited to headphones/earphones and tubes but can extend to any gear, I guess.
The theory is that this equipment sounds better after X amount of use, so some people will leave it playing pink or white noise for X number of hours before use.

I am going from memory, so could be way off, but I think the 220 has recommended burn in of 200 hours. Happy to be corrected, I am not super confident of this, I could be mixing it up with something else. The burn in cable is to allow you to play it for the required amount of time to reach optimum sound production, without having to actually hear the sound being produced.

There is much division (and derision) regarding burn in. Personally, I believe in it (though I don't understand why companies don't have a burn-in process as part of production) for headphones and earphones. Not sure about DAPs. Either way, my approach is to use it (whatever it is) from day one and burn in through regular use. Would I accept unsatisfactory sound in the hope that burn in will fix it? No, I wouldn't. Am I open to the idea that sound reproduction will change over time due to physical wear/use? Yes I am. Am I willing to get into a heated discussion about whether this is a real thing or not? No, I am not.

Sidenote - so you went with the 220? Well done! We can compare notes! I am itching like an addict to have my new stuff in my hands and playing sounds into my ears!!! Currently the player has been shipped but not the amps, which is useless!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back