DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #11,281 of 13,478
iBasso Audio via FaceBook 55 minutes ago: "We are making a special run of the AMP8 EX. There are a few slots left open. The order would need to be placed today as we are ordering parts to fill this run. The price is 280 USD including shipping. You can make payment using order@ibasso.com with PayPal. We will need your full name, address with post code, email address and phone number. This is for today, the date noted on this post."
That is so awesome!!!! thanks @Lurker0 for the info

Guys! Join in on the fun!!!

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #11,283 of 13,478
God, today I received a proper good QC charger and omg, 50% battery charged in 30 minutes and I just used the "slow" port, I would like to try this evening with the usb-c port which is supposed to charge more efficiently. Its a very good deal to buy a good charger in order to have the quickest way to charge our devices :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #11,284 of 13,478
Well I've got my Amp 9 and the volume wasn't up to my preferred listening levels.
It was 100 in mango mode and the volume I listened on amp 1 mk2 balanced was about 20% more.

So I tried hotswapping trick and boy did that work!
The Amp 9 is now even louder then stock amp on balanced.

Sound wise I still have the burn in to go through so can't judge, but seems decent as of now.

The hiss since hotswapping is very noticeable through my CA Atlas and so is the very weird ringing sound when I move the DAP or increase the volume.
I heard Zeos talk about that issue on some video involving Nutubes and some DIY amps or smth.

I think the hotswapping works even better if you boot the DAP with stock amp, plug in smth through balanced port and then hotswap as opposed to single ended. Need to check that though...

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #11,285 of 13,478
Well I've got my Amp 9 and the volume wasn't up to my preferred listening levels.
It was 100 in mango mode and the volume I listened on amp 1 mk2 balanced was about 20% more.

So I tried hotswapping trick and boy did that work!
The Amp 9 is now even louder then stock amp on balanced.

Sound wise I still have the burn in to go through so can't judge, but seems decent as of now.

The hiss since hotswapping is very noticeable through my CA Atlas and so is the very weird ringing sound when I move the DAP or increase the volume.
I heard Zeos talk about that issue on some video involving Nutubes and some DIY amps or smth.

I think the hotswapping works even better if you boot the DAP with stock amp, plug in smth through balanced port and then hotswap as opposed to single ended. Need to check that though...
Are you serious? I mean, swap the modules on a hot way it increases the sound quality? And what’s the theory behind it? No trolling, I’m asking seriously because I want to know

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #11,286 of 13,478
Are you serious? I mean, swap the modules on a hot way it increases the sound quality? And what’s the theory behind it? No trolling, I’m asking seriously because I want to know

I have no clue but my guess is the DAP on boot up checks the module and adjusts the power delivery then.
You hotswap and the DAP still thinks its the same amp module and sends the same power to it making the amp play louder then intended.
This sounds like something that could potentially damage the amp though, I am aware of that.

Mar 3, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #11,287 of 13,478
I have no clue but my guess is the DAP on boot up checks the module and adjusts the power delivery then.
You hotswap and the DAP still thinks its the same amp module and sends the same power to it making the amp play louder then intended.
This sounds like something that could potentially damage the amp though, I am aware of that.
Well, all that you said it makes sense to be honest but im not sure if someone more technical can provide us more details to be sure that your first statement its true and of course, the second one

Mar 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #11,288 of 13,478
Well, all that you said it makes sense to be honest but im not sure if someone more technical can provide us more details to be sure that your first statement its true and of course, the second one
There are several posts on hot swapping amps to get more power out of AMP9. But iBasso implemented the new gain switch just for AMP9 precisely to get that more power without that risk, and, "eventually" delivering the enough power for some needs - maybe that´s not enough for some headphones still? I continue to use the LOW setting on the switch for AMP9, it can easily drive both my IEMs and Headphones. My 2 cents

Mar 3, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #11,289 of 13,478
There are several posts on hot swapping amps to get more power out of AMP9. But iBasso implemented the new gain switch just for AMP9 precisely to get that more power without that risk, and, "eventually" delivering the enough power for some needs - maybe that´s not enough for some headphones still? I continue to use the LOW setting on the switch for AMP9, it can easily drive both my IEMs and Headphones. My 2 cents
What risk? Interested on know more about it, if I can swap from amp8 to amp1mk2 and then do a hot swapping to amp8 again and obtain more power, then I would like to know the risks, just to know

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #11,290 of 13,478
What risk? Interested on know more about it, if I can swap from amp8 to amp1mk2 and then do a hot swapping to amp8 again and obtain more power, then I would like to know the risks, just to know
The risk is that you shouldn’t plug/unplug any powered device. Current peaks, shortcuts, etc. i.e. If you misalign the pins when changing amps you can ruin the amp, dx220, or both

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #11,291 of 13,478
I just now noticed the switch. I am idiot xD

Yes it is now almost enough while still not maxed out but 95 on mango and 140 android.
But I guess I better not hotswap just to make sure nothing goes wrong. Also swaping makes the hiss a lot louder.

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #11,292 of 13,478
20200304_053053.jpg

Still my solid company during Biz trip...
DX220 + AMP8EX-FE

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #11,293 of 13,478
Been trying out the DX220 + AMP9 Fidelizer Masterpiece mod this evening. Very impressed! I try not to rely on my memory for music - especially the amount of time it's been to send the DX220 there and back. I compare to my iPhone, and there definitely appears to be a better/larger difference than before. Everything appears to be a little tighter and better placed - and just feels more enjoyable. The differences are noticeable with the CA Solaris, and even more so with the Focal Stellia. I tend to prefer the Solaris for the exemplary bass (it's just right for me), whereas the Stellia win for clarity, imaging and amazing soundstage. The hiss is still there with the Solaris. The Solaris doesn't sound quite as good with the DX220/AMP9 Modernizer as my main amp, but the difference isn't crazily huge (which is a surprise considering my main tube amps are crazily huge!).

Will also try and find time this evening to try out the AMP8 Signature mod. I should have the AMP8-EX by the end of March to also compare.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #11,294 of 13,478
Good all around combo of gear + music :)

IMG_4340.jpg

Edit: wife just grabbed the Stellia and DX220/AMP8 mod before I could even listen properly, and once was listening, smiled and said "I'm listening to these, you can go upstairs to listen to those big amps with those uncomfortable headphones (LCD4)". Don't think I'm getting it back this evening...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #11,295 of 13,478
Before the first 10 hours with the amp9 burned in I was disappointed with it somewhat and found the stock amp better ( through balanced). Now I figured it was much to do with the ~200 hz range boost making the CA Atlas lose detail and sound muffled.

How does the Amp9 change with burn in ? And does anyone else find they need to re-adjust EQ when going to amp9?
Ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back