DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #2,972 of 13,478
How does the sound compare with the ZX300? Apologies if you've already posted a comparison.

I'd be curious to hear others compare them too but for me the ZX300 was much worse overall. The comparison may be unfair to due lack of power with the iem I used. The ZX300 butchered everything past bass. I had to apply a heavy boost to its "middle" to salvage the IER-Z1R on it but ultimately the sound was too unnatural. This is when I was able to hear more detail and picked out on the sort of exquisitely precise positioning of sounds notably in depth, which gave me notable enjoyment. My burned in DX220 with amp8 does not remind me of that. But on the whole it's much better. I do not really need to EQ for mids and treble. I think the sound is probably meatier and the soundstage may be overall bigger. I'm not sure about clarity. Unless I have one of the extremely sensitive and easy to drive Campfire iems I wouldn't worry at all about picking the DX220 over the ZX300. But there was one thing I valued that I thought the ZX300 did better, and it may be associated with cheap caps.

May 15, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,975 of 13,478
Going to apply Ultimate Mod on my friend's iBasso DX220 today so I compared with iBasso DX200 side by side and found something interesting.

60361540_2916143678403439_8708820266005823488_n.jpg

The change of their new single cap has the same value as what I picked for my mod before. No wonder why some of my friends said it sounds very similar to my mod. I'm glad that iBasso did things right for this AMP1 mk2 update. :D

Regards,
Keetakawee

Nice :L3000: thats going to be one awesome sounding dx220 when its finished (post some pics :thumbsup:). I have so many mod ideas on my todo list but hardly any free time. I never even got to swap the dacs on my dx150 before I sold it. Still have the 2 AK4493 in my parts drawer next to 2 WM8741 dacs still waiting to go in my xuelin :worried:

May 15, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #2,976 of 13,478
I'd be curious to hear others compare them too but for me the ZX300 was much worse overall. The comparison may be unfair to due lack of power with the iem I used. The ZX300 butchered everything past bass. I had to apply a heavy boost to its "middle" to salvage the IER-Z1R on it but ultimately the sound was too unnatural. This is when I was able to hear more detail and picked out on the sort of exquisitely precise positioning of sounds notably in depth, which gave me notable enjoyment. My burned in DX220 with amp8 does not remind me of that. But on the whole it's much better. I do not really need to EQ for mids and treble. I think the sound is probably meatier and the soundstage may be overall bigger. I'm not sure about clarity. Unless I have one of the extremely sensitive and easy to drive Campfire iems I wouldn't worry at all about picking the DX220 over the ZX300. But there was one thing I valued that I thought the ZX300 did better, and it may be associated with cheap caps.

Yes in my early listening I tend to agree. But...... the caps they used are not cheap, they are top notch- it's probably the capacitance is greater on the Panasonic's I don't know what the value of the Nichicons were that he replaced. But nichicons are good stuff.

And I don't think that soundstage of Sony has anything to do with the caps. I think that might be some dsp post processing.

Of course it's just a hunch. Btw Is fast charging working for other people?

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #2,977 of 13,478
Love the hair George! And it's 900 US here in the states. So I guess you like the 220 ha ha.

he don't like it..... he loves it

May 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,981 of 13,478
Lol, I'll try balanced tonight, I'm getting some work done and I'm on puppy duty. It does sound very impressive. Tons of space between everything.

I don't know about tons but right, separation was the one thing I singled out unequivocally as being present in my last impression of the IER-Z1R with the burned in DX228. Strangely I didn't think the soundstage of the DX228 had expanded dramatically but at some late point in my burn-in I got the impression the device matured spatially. In my experience the DX228 can also sound more impressively at an earlier point than later on in a certain way. Earlier on to me it sounded big and bold, direct and sort of engrossing. Not straight out of the box. At around 100-120 hours that mellowed.

Yes in my early listening I tend to agree. But...... the caps they used are not cheap, they are top notch- it's probably the capacitance is greater on the Panasonic's I don't know what the value of the Nichicons were that he replaced. But nichicons are good stuff.

And I don't think that soundstage of Sony has anything to do with the caps. I think that might be some dsp post processing.

Of course it's just a hunch. Btw Is fast charging working for other people?

I can only refer you to lantian's posts regarding the caps. Fast charging isn't working for me.

May 15, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #2,982 of 13,478
I don't know about tons but right, separation was the one thing I singled out unequivocally as being present in my last impression of the IER-Z1R with the burned in DX228. Strangely I didn't think the soundstage of the DX228 had expanded dramatically but at some late point in my burn-in I got the impression the device matured spatially. In my experience the DX228 can also sound more impressively at an earlier point than later on in a certain way. Earlier on to me it sounded big and bold, direct and sort of engrossing. Not straight out of the box. At around 100-120 hours that mellowed.

I can only refer you to lantian's posts regarding the caps. Fast charging isn't working for me.

Your ears have gotten used to the signature of the dx220 that's why it doesn't have as big of impact. :wink: and I'll find out the capacitance of the nichicons when I have a looksee. Which might be a bit.

May 15, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #2,983 of 13,478
Everyone can talk, and criticize, but not everyone can get the works done.

In the modifications world, we respect people who can actually pick up an iron, knows how to read schematic, realize what needs to be done, and understand the “how, and why”. I can assure you that when someone don’t even know how to “pick up and work around a solder iron”, will always criticizes on “mod”, and real “DIY” always respect one another

:)

I am with what @Paul - iBasso stated . An excellent design are highly responsive, hence with each modifications there are perceivable changes, whether it is positive to the person who modified it or negative, they have the choice to tune it to their preferences. Also, every manufacturer have their own sound signature and guidelines that they would love to keep. Ibasso has done a pretty consistent jobs of keeping up their own house sound, and that is why Ibasso using what (the components of choices) they do.

From my point of views, for a device of sub $1,000 to have similar build, components, and even better engineered than some $3,000 devices....Ibasso is the only one who can pull it off. This is the reason why I am staying with Ibasso, and there are other reasons: fast firmware release, supporting older devices, friendly customer services, friendly toward DIY people, friendly after sale services, always open to new ideas, feedbacks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back