DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Apr 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #841 of 13,478
Yes that looks like a great fit.

Apr 20, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #842 of 13,478
Is anyone aware if the DX220 will support Bluetooth Receiver function? Particularly curious if this will work with LDAC, in Mango mode and with EQ still functioning. Also wondering if the USB DAC mode has any noticable latency.

I saw some comments that DX200 can function as a receiver (though nothing particularly mentioning LDAC or Mango), hopefully that is still the case.

1C0D17A0-578E-4979-BCD3-4C910D595C65.jpeg

Is this helpful?

Apr 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #843 of 13,478
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fearless-audio-iems-discussion-impressions.900055/
Hawaii Bad Boy

My reference is here:

Respect for your thought. However, Neither am I only one mentioning the opinions of DX200, nor the first one. Musical and UI experience the DX200 offers are claimed to be really bad. Someone here compares dx200 with sp1000 and points out dx200 is better, which, I believe, is weird.

Hi @Researcher I just want to say from the jump that I'm not replying combatively but in a collegial spirit (it's not always easy to tell online).

I don't know what kind of research you do but you know well that, in publications, you can find any argument for any perspective for any matter. You know that forming proper judgments is a complex process of gathering, analyzing, and cross correlating a diverse array of data.

Sometimes I have the time to do that and sometimes i don't. If I don't have firsthand experience and only a handful of reference points, I remain open to "weird" results. I wonder if you think it's "weird" that the DX200 is better than the SP1000 (WM1Z) because the math doesn't add up: DX200 > SP1000/(SP1000 = 3.5 X $) > DX200. In a market economy you can't keep on charging more for worse products but you can charge less for better ones. That's weird, but that's the way it works.

iBasso is disrupting the performance/cost expectations of the high end DAP market.

From an audio prospective, how is everyone here coming to the conclusion the 220 will sound "much better" than the 200 when using the same amp module? Obviously UI is improved etc, but as they are using the same DAC's where is this alleged audio improvement coming from?

I'm as buzzed as the next guy for the DX220 (unless the next guy is @icefalkon (grin)), but let me take this opportunity to offer some caution.

I say this in anticipation of the posts that will inevitably read, "Disappointed! I sold my DX200 at a loss. I can't hear any difference you liars and iBasso shills! I h8 U."

So... this is just a plea for measured expectations and patience with–burn in. One of the few people who currently own a DX220 told me that at first they couldn't tell much of a difference between the DX220 and DX200, but it was a different story after–burn in.

For my tiny part, my first hand experience with the DX220 was in noisy conditions.The DX220 sounds better than the DX200, or I wouldn't be buying one, but how "much better" we're all going to have to find out together.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #844 of 13,478
Here is an older picture that was shared back then when Dx220 was still a “leak”. This picture could also be from the earliest prototypes? Could someone (reviewers) be bold enough to crack open their Easter egg and post internal pics of dx220 :D

You can totally see the same old set of ceramic capacitors and new inducted coils. There is also newer Panasonic Capacitor.

So, I guess, from pictures, the Dx220 has improved design architecture over the Dx200. New coils means new power-rail with revamped design. Upgraded components and modified Amp1.

The voltage regulators, was it the stock Dx200 ? Or are they using Dx200Ti Regulators ? Nobody knows =/. But so far, the improved Hardware is there, and then listening to the Amp1 MKII would be a very different experience VS Stock Dx200 and Amp1 for sure. That means it makes a lot of sense for Dx220 to be better than regular Dx200.

**corrected**
0B5ECA3D-BF4F-4114-A9B5-95F5D6D7B3AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #845 of 13,478
Here is an older picture that was shared back then when Dx220 was still a “leak”. This picture could also be from the earliest prototypes? Could someone (reviewers) be bold enough to crack open their Easter egg and post internal pics of dx220 :D

You can totally see the same old set of ceramic capacitors and new inducted coils. There is also newer Panasonic Capacitor.

So, I guess, from pictures, the Dx220 has improved design architecture over the Dx200. New coils means new power-rail with revamped design. Upgraded components and modified Amp1.

The voltage regulators, was it the stock Dx200 ? Or are they using Dx200Ti Regulators ? Nobody knows =/. But so far, the improved Hardware is there, and then listening to the Amp1 MKII would be a very different experience VS Stock Dx200 and Amp1 for sure. That means it makes a lot of sense for Dx220 to be better than regular Dx200.

Now, even @edwardsean with his modified DX200EX and amp8EX is calling out the Dx220 to be better. This is something curious to me, but even if it is better, it would also make senses as ES9028Pro is a current demanding IC, and fairly new on the market. A better implementation that satisfy the current “peaks demands” and together with better shields could very much yield a different or better result.

@Whitigir, hey Vince! I haven't been posting much because I don't have the time I used to these days. As alway's it's so great having your take on all of this!

I have to clarify though:

After Axpona I posted that the DX220 sounds better than the–DX200, but I definitely could–not–say anything with certainty about the DX220(228) vs. DX208-EX. I mentioned that the many improvements of the EX, like detail retrieval, imaging cues, blackness of background were simply lost in the convention hall with open-back headphones.

Again, I need to stress that I never wrote/thought that the 220 sounds better than the 208EX!

I'm dying to compare at home: 220+amp8EX vs. 208EX. I honestly don't know which will come out ahead, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was the EX!

What I'm sure of is that the DX220 beats the–stock–DX200.

To be straight forward, part of the reason that I'm getting the 220 is in the hope that you may get around to making a 228EX! I'm thinking of the 220 the way I came to think about the 200, as a base to work from, and it seems to me, simply, that it provides a better base.

But–I don't mean to presume upon you. You may never mod the 220 and that's fine.... Just fine.... Totally fine. Absolutely, really, totally, just fine....

I'll just have to go it alone, what, with all my vast knowledge of electrical engineering I got from my training in French philosophy. Yeah, I'll be fine. I'll just go on Mouser and eyeball some capacitors to see which ones have the same size and colors and slap them into my new DX220. You measure capacitor values by color right? Just tell me if I use the yellow ones or mustard color ones. Nope, forget it, I can do it myself. Don't feel guilty when it all blows up....

Aw, C'mon Vince please 228EX!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #847 of 13,478
Hi @Researcher I just want to say from the jump that I'm not replying combatively but in a collegial spirit (it's not always easy to tell online).

I don't know what kind of research you do but you know well that, in publications, you can find any argument for any perspective for any matter. You know that forming proper judgments is a complex process of gathering, analyzing, and cross correlating a diverse array of data.

Sometimes I have the time to do that and sometimes i don't. If I don't have firsthand experience and only a handful of reference points, I remain open to "weird" results. I wonder if you think it's "weird" that the DX200 is better than the SP1000 (WM1Z) because the math doesn't add up: DX200 > SP1000/(SP1000 = 3.5 X $) > DX200. In a market economy you can't keep on charging more for worse products but you can charge less for better ones. That's weird, but that's the way it works.

iBasso is disrupting the performance/cost expectations of the high end DAP market.

I'm as buzzed as the next guy for the DX220 (unless the next guy is @icefalkon (grin)), but let me take this opportunity to offer some caution.

I say this in anticipation of the posts that will inevitably read, "Disappointed! I sold my DX200 at a loss. I can't hear any difference you liars and iBasso shills! I h8 U."

So... this is just a plea for measured expectations and patience with–burn in. One of the few people who currently own a DX220 told me that at first they couldn't tell much of a difference between the DX220 and DX200, but it was a different story after–burn in.

For my tiny part, my first hand experience with the DX220 was in noisy conditions.The DX220 sounds better than the DX200, or I wouldn't be buying one, but how "much better" we're all going to have to find out together.
I had the DX200 with stock amp1 both 1Z and sp1000 are light years ahead in SQ terms , in what I understand playing well is, the scale and realism of the DX200 with stock amp does not match neither 1Z or Sp1000, in this hobby if we are comparing prices and make math we go mad, sometimes for only 3 or 5% of detail and scale we pay 2 and 3 time more, this quality price rate does not work in hiend audio

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #848 of 13,478
It is ok to disagree on the point of views. However, to say “light years ahead” from A compared to B....the differences must be Extreme!

If that is the case, allow me to give my 2 cents. I agree there are places that Wm1Z would do and or deemed to be better, but it is all on personal preferences. In my point of view, such extreme differences such as light years between WM1Z and Dx200 does not exist.

I sold my WM1Z after 1 year of owning Dx200, and then I sold my Dx200 to jump straight on the Titanium unit. It is all about personal preferences, and WM1Z is still very high performances in my point of view. To what I have experienced so far, the Dx200 would not shy away from competing against Wm1Z, let alone such extremes of ‘light years”. But let’s just leave it here, and get back onto the Dx220.

**actually** I misread the most Vital part here “Stock Amp1”. In this senses, I agreed, the Dx200 and Stock Amp1 can be very far behind in timbres when compared to WM1Z, and for someone who Adore Sony signature and Timbres, the differences can be considered Extreme

My apologies

One of the strongest Pros on Ibasso platform is the Swapable amp modules. The lesson from DX200 and Stock Amp1 did give Ibasso an indent. I think this is the reason why the Dx220 comes with Amp1 MKII instead of the normal Amp1

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #849 of 13,478
That is your opinion, I respect, but I still say with the amp1 the DX200 is light years behind the 1Z and SP1000, lacked body, refinement and realism, for what I eard all my life, for the price the dx was great but can not be compared with the other 2

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #850 of 13,478
That is your opinion, I respect, but I still say with the amp1 the DX200 is light years behind the 1Z and SP1000, lacked body, refinement and realism, for what I eard all my life, for the price the dx was great but can not be compared with the other 2

In your opinion as it is my opinion and I own the WM1Z and have compared to the AK from a friend who lent it to me for some time, that the DX200 is there but different. With the AMP8 the 200, IMO, is better than the WM1Z.

The DX220 is like a matured athlete and in many ways, to me, sounds different compared to the DX200. Compared to the WM1Z, with the stock AMP1II, steps ahead in dynamics and musical presentation. It has an ease and yet dynamic about it that can be captivating and with the Ether II, it is supreme!

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #851 of 13,478
I had the DX200 with stock amp1 both 1Z and sp1000 are light years ahead in SQ terms , in what I understand playing well, the scale and realism of the DX200 with stock amp does not match neither 1Z or Sp1000, in this hobby if we are comparing prices and make math we go mad, sometimes for only 3 or 5% of detail and scale we pay 2 and 3 time more, this quality price rate does not work in hiend audio

I can appreciate what you’re saying as I don’t think of the stock DX200 w/ stock amp 1 when I think of the DX200. Whether you want to factor in e.g., amp modules, DSD512 capability, modding, etc. is up to you. When I A/B my modded DX200 + amp 8 it turns the tables on gear costing multiples of its price. If I understood you correctly, your point about quality/price not working in high end audio is my point as well.

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #852 of 13,478
But opinions of what plays well or not so well are variable, I have a friend that think that understand of everything in sound and few years back when we had car Sq audio installs, the installer an "hobby" musician that besides making all the install made all the tuning in the TA and crossover frequencies etc, that friend of mine that was an hi-fi doctor (he thinks) goes to the set up of the and changes the set up that the installer made (hours of work) and tell me now this shi#&t is playing... The sound was horrible... So the notion of what is good or bad is diferent from person to person no matter how we are engeniers or comum persons, back to the topic, the dx220 for the price must be very good

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #853 of 13,478
I can appreciate what you’re saying as I don’t think of the stock DX200 w/ stock amp 1 when I think of the DX200. Whether you want to factor in e.g., amp modules, DSD512 capability, modding, etc. is up to you. When I A/B my modded DX200 + amp 8 it turns the tables on gear costing multiples of its price. If I understood you correctly, your point about quality/price not working in high end audio is my point as well.

Same here ! I don’t consider Amp1 stock when I talk about Dx200. The Dx200 has removable module for a reason ! The real and main thing here is how much of quality design and components had gone into what made the Dx200, the only one of it kind that is portable and can even play Native DSD512.

I am loving my Dx200Titanium EX-Modified , but can’t help to be so curious about what have gone into the Dx220 x_X

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #854 of 13,478
I had the DX200 with stock amp1 both 1Z and sp1000 are light years ahead in SQ terms , in what I understand playing well is, the scale and realism of the DX200 with stock amp does not match neither 1Z or Sp1000, in this hobby if we are comparing prices and make math we go mad, sometimes for only 3 or 5% of detail and scale we pay 2 and 3 time more, this quality price rate does not work in hiend audio

Funny.

By that I mean first one guy comes out of the woodwork with ridiculous claims and then here you go Denis with some more to top that sundae off with. This happens after every freaking audio show where iBasso is and either Sony, FiiO, AK is...every time.

Light years? Really? That's just not true on any scale.

"for what I heard all my life"...? lol that's a bit over dramatic don't you think?

As for AMP1, we are all aware that AMP1 was the weakest of the lineup. YOU had the SP1000 and the AK380...and so did I. So did some others here...why, this sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I listened to the DX200 with AMP4s, and frankly, it was as close as possible to the other "premium" DAP's in every aspect of sound quality...different but right there. The underdog here was the DX200, and guess what, it came up blow for blow dead even with both $3K players in most of our A/B tests with anything OTHER than AMP1, 2, or 3. Build quality is excellent on all three.

The DX200 goes in for the win with the exchangeable AMP modules, ease of upgrading said AMP modules and customer support. (damn you @edwardsean you beat me to that lol) ESPECIALLY customer support IMHO. It's funny, you don't see a guy like Paul going around the various AK rooms offering help and insight, and...oh yeah...taking peoples comments back to the company for refinement do you? Naaa you don't. I know, because I've been in the AK rooms and haven't seen anyone do that.

Thing is, we all hear things differently. So I will say..how about you do what I did...put your players together with a DX208 this time...do a blind test...and see who sounds BETTER...Then once that's done, when you get a DX220 in your hands...you can do that again...and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #855 of 13,478
In your opinion as it is my opinion and I own the WM1Z and have compared to the AK from a friend who lent it to me for some time, that the DX200 is there but different. With the AMP8 the 200, IMO, is better than the WM1Z.

The DX220 is like a matured athlete and in many ways, to me, sounds different compared to the DX200. Compared to the WM1Z, with the stock AMP1II, steps ahead in dynamics and musical presentation. It has an ease and yet dynamic about it that can be captivating and with the Ether II, it is supreme!

I can't agree more. We both got our Ether 2's the same day and have been burning them in with the DX220. The pairing is out of this world. No joke, no exaggerating, and no fluff. These headphones sound better on the DX220 than most of the $2k+ ones we heard at the Axpona show. The DX228 with @Whitigir mods brings that to an entirely different plane. But whatever, if you think that the DX200/AMP1 sounds "light years" behind the others...that's your right. Truly. I did notice that you made sure not to mention any of the more powerful and refined AMP modules though in your statements. Anyway @denis1976, it's all good. As @Paul - iBasso would say...

Enjoy the music.

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back