DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Sep 13, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #7,906 of 13,478
Listened to the DX220 Max last week at the Guangzhou Headphone Show on the IBasso stand . It’s substantial in the hand and weighty but not as portably unmanageable as I was expecting . The sound signature is super but it left me thinking just how good our DX220 with amp8/9 already is

First of all–what!? I can't believe a demo version is already out.

Can you talk a little more on your impression of the Max vs the standard 220 with amp8/9?

Sep 13, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #7,908 of 13,478
How long does the battery last in the Mango OS compared to the Android OS? I use 16/44.1 FLAC files, so the time with those type files would be great.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #7,909 of 13,478
Look what Santa brought me early to begin reviewing...looks absolutely gorgeous!!

Let the burn in begin!

Congrats, man ! That's another winner right there...

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #7,910 of 13,478
Listened to the Max using my own IT04 IEM’s and custom silver 4.4 cable .. sound signature to me was still the immediately recognizable IBasso style but with all the characteristics , tone-layering-separation-soundstage-imaging-power , improved in the same way if you compare the original DX200 with Amp1 to say say DX220 with Amp8 (my preference over amp9) . So to my subjective listening and 50somthing ears , without doubt a big improvement, but absolute ‘Night and Day’ not. Highly enjoyable and was very conscious I was holding and listening to a potential future Ibasso DAP presumably still in trial development . I will emphasize ‘holding’ because it did feel really ‘solid’ due to the larger size and heavier weight but still a level of portability , bag rather than a pocket for sure but not necessarily desktop only as I had assumed.

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #7,911 of 13,478
DX220 doesn't support aptx hd

According to the specs it doesn't but an user reported that it works. He said:

But! I just got a pair of B&W PX, and the DX220 is telling me it is connected via AptX HD. My understanding is that the DX220 doesnt do AptX HD, so not sure if this is real or not.

So someone with the DX220 and an aptx HD headphone can try and tell the result

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #7,912 of 13,478
According to the specs it doesn't but an user reported that it works. He said:

So someone with the DX220 and an aptx HD headphone can try and tell the result

Apt HD appears to be working though iBasso itself doesn't seem to be able to confirm it. What is clear is that the DX220 believes it can do AptX HD, and will only stream 24bit/48khz tracks over BT in Android Mango player if the DX220 is set to AptX HD. If you switch it to simply AptX it will not longer player 24bit/48khz tracks.

On that note, stock Mango player will not downsample songs that exceed the capabilities of the given bluetooth codec. So the most you can stream over Bluetooth using the stock player is 24bit/48khz using AptX HD. Other players, such as Neutron and UAPP, can be configured to downsample songs and this allows you to freely listen to your library of higher-res files using an AptX HD headphone.

On a related bluetooth note -- iBasso has confirmed to me that in terms of two-way bluetooth, the DX220 can only use SBC as a BT receiver. So my inability to get the DX220 to use AAC or AptX on my MacBook when working as a Bluetooth DAC is not a bug. I imagine the DX160 and other devices marketed as two way bluetooth are limited to SBC when receiving (though can do LDAC/AptX/AAC when transmitting).

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #7,913 of 13,478
Apt HD appears to be working though iBasso itself doesn't seem to be able to confirm it. What is clear is that the DX220 believes it can do AptX HD, and will only stream 24bit/48khz tracks over BT in Android Mango player if the DX220 is set to AptX HD. If you switch it to simply AptX it will not longer player 24bit/48khz tracks.

On that note, stock Mango player will not downsample songs that exceed the capabilities of the given bluetooth codec. So the most you can stream over Bluetooth using the stock player is 24bit/48khz using AptX. Other players, such as Neutron and UAPP, can be configured to downsample songs and this allows you to freely listen to your library of higher-res files using an AptX HD headphone.

On a related bluetooth note -- iBasso has confirmed to me that in terms of two-way bluetooth, the DX220 can only use SBC as a BT receiver. So my inability to get the DX220 to use AAC or AptX on my MacBook when working as a Bluetooth DAC is not a bug. I imagine the DX160 and other devices marketed as two way bluetooth are limited to SBC when receiving (though can do LDAC/AptX/AAC when transmitting).

In developer options there is an area that shows avaible Blutooth codecs. Here is the screenshot from my phone. What codecs does the DX220 show ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190914-211004_Settings.png
    Screenshot_20190914-211004_Settings.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Img-1568484767233.jpg
    Img-1568484767233.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #7,916 of 13,478
I think it does. I have Amiron Home which tells you if aptxhd is activated. It tells me. If I connect to a dap which only supports apt x you won’t get the notification message. I also have the PX and it sure as sure sounds like aptxhd. For whatever reason I don’t have developer option on the menu,so the 220 is selecting the best codec.

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #7,917 of 13,478
I think it does. I have Amiron Home which tells you if aptxhd is activated. It tells me. If I connect to a dap which only supports apt x you won’t get the notification message. I also have the PX and it sure as sure sounds like aptxhd. For whatever reason I don’t have developer option on the menu,so the 220 is selecting the best codec.

You mean Amiron Wireless? Because Amiron Home is the wired model and Amiron Wireless is the Bluetooth model.

I own Amiron Wireless too. If it says "aptx HD active " when connected to DX220 we can 100% validate that DX220 supports aptx HD.

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #7,918 of 13,478
Yes yes. I own both models of Amiron. It’s says aptxhd and it sure as hell sounds like it. It is a shame that the ibasso doesn’t flag up the codec in the same way as fiio or Pioneer. Just a niggle. It’s a shame to that Mango OS doesn’t allow choice of using Bluetooth in the same way as Fiio Pure music does but,again just a minor niggle.

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #7,920 of 13,478
Hi everybody
Sorry for the questions that will follow but i am not used to technical considerations :
- what makes that the sound seems so different between mango os and mango player in android mode? With the amp9 it really noticeable! And i dont get why.
-is mango os laggy for everyone compared to the mango player in android?
Thanks for answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back