DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Aug 16, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #7,472 of 13,476
Aug 16, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #7,473 of 13,476
I only use a Mac.

Do you have only USB-C ports on your mac? It was established earlier in this thread that it doesn't work well with newer MacBooks that only have USB-C.

USB DAC also does not work with my iPad the way the DX200 did (without any issue).

I think its pretty well established that there's a problem with the USB DAC function. At the very least, I'm not the only one.

The DX220 sounds amazing, especially with AMP9, but if you need USB DAC or Bluetooth stuff to justify dropping $900 on a device, go for something else. It looks like some of the FiiO stuff does USB and Bluetooth as advertised.

Aug 16, 2019 at 3:23 AM Post #7,476 of 13,476
Yeah, unfortunately I'm coming to terms with the fact I need to spend another $350 on a FiiO Q5 to get my $900 DX220 to do something iBasso advertised it could to do on its own :frowning2:
With Amp 8 ?

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #7,478 of 13,476
Aug 16, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #7,479 of 13,476
You using dx220 with stock amp and the fiio amp ? Or using line out and bypassing the stock dx220 amp ?

I don't have the FiiO yet, I said I was considering buying a Q5 to do all the things the things the DX220 was supposed to do, but doesn't.

I am not saying the DX220 is bad at playing music. If all you need it for is playing 24bit FLAC or DSD, with a sweet amp like AMP7/8 or AMP9, it is excellent. What I am saying is that anything beyond that doesn't work as advertised. So don't buy it for USB DAC or Bluetooth DAC functionality. I am also saying that this observation is a sincere disappointment, because I don't see a good reason the DX220 should not do these things as advertised. The fact that the DX220 is an excellent music player isn't really an excuse for not fulfilling advertised functionality, IMHO.

Again, it is an excellent music player. I only bring this up to warn off people who are lured to it by its promise of USB DAC and Bluetooth DAC functionality.

Aug 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #7,480 of 13,476
Just got a Dx220, love the sound with amp9 so much. But hate when it highlighted bad recording. (Not as forgiving as wm1a which I used)
I pressed DAC in Mango OS but nothing in PC. Should I install anything ?

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #7,482 of 13,476
I don't have the FiiO yet, I said I was considering buying a Q5 to do all the things the things the DX220 was supposed to do, but doesn't.

I am not saying the DX220 is bad at playing music. If all you need it for is playing 24bit FLAC or DSD, with a sweet amp like AMP7/8 or AMP9, it is excellent. What I am saying is that anything beyond that doesn't work as advertised. So don't buy it for USB DAC or Bluetooth DAC functionality. I am also saying that this observation is a sincere disappointment, because I don't see a good reason the DX220 should not do these things as advertised. The fact that the DX220 is an excellent music player isn't really an excuse for not fulfilling advertised functionality, IMHO.

Again, it is an excellent music player. I only bring this up to warn off people who are lured to it by its promise of USB DAC and Bluetooth DAC functionality.

I just tested a few options. Bluetooth as a transmitter and receiver with two Bluetooth dongles (BlueWave Get and an advanced Sound Accesport Air cheapie) - works flawlessly. Also connects to my LG sound bar just fine. As a BT DAC for my iPhone 6s Plus: no problems streaming tidal or Apple Music. I have no problems connecting to the DX220 on a MacBook Pro (admittedly an older model with USB A sockets) in DAC mode but I am getting crackling sounds playing Tidal or Spotify. So right now not usable for me as a DAC due to the crackling but I’m not sure if that’s some issue on my end. It connects just fine.

If anyone has comments on the crackling issue, I’m all ears. But the Bluetooth functionality for me appears to work as advertised - what are you running into?

Aug 16, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #7,484 of 13,476

Sell it. Recoup your money and get the FiiO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back