DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 14, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #6,377 of 13,478
Yea it's legit. Plussound offers 3.5 balanced on there site my question is could you plug a 3.5 pro into a SE device ( so I can use with dx200 and my phone or nitendo switch )
Its strange I can find much info on 3.5 pro.
I think AMP8 3.5 PRO is mostly sold in China because somehow many Chinese users are using 3.5 balanced, basically as seen on Hifiman DAP. I don't think you can plug those 3.5 SE into this AMP.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #6,378 of 13,478
Doesn't just works a treat, it looks like a treat :D Yeah, these hybrid eartips are sold on-line. I assume you saw it at Portafest cause japanese distributors carrying it now?

Just got a set...lets see how they do with my IT04's...

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #6,379 of 13,478
Yea it's legit. Plussound offers 3.5 balanced on there site my question is could you plug a 3.5 pro into a SE device ( so I can use with dx200 and my phone or nitendo switch )
Its strange I can find much info on 3.5 pro.

A 3.5mm Pro balanced socket is recessed and is supposedly designated with a red outer plastic ring for easy identification, so you cannot plug in a SE 3.5mm plug into it as a normal SE 3.5mm plug will not be long enough to be pushed in. On the other hand, the 3.5mm Pro plug can be plugged into a SE 3.5mm socket, as the R- and L- pins are equivalent to the GND pins of a 3 pole TRS SE plug or the GND and MIC pin of a 4 pole TRRS mic headphone.

It's a stupid standard IMO, because unlike the 4.4mm standard which is designed specially for audio use, the 3.5mm Pro is hardly professional as it is trying to claim - anyone with some electronic component knowledge knows they are just recycling a bunch of 4 pole TRRS jacks and plugs components that are left over from smartphones orders which are ditching them thus these parts could be have for cheap. There's a reason why they aren't pushing this outside of China, nor should be something the audio community around the globe should embrace either IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #6,380 of 13,478
A 3.5mm Pro balanced jack is recessed and is supposedly designated with a red outer plastic ring for easy identification, so you cannot plug in a SE 3.5mm plug into it as a normal SE 3.5mm plug will not be long enough to be pushed in. On the other hand, the 3.5mm Pro plug can be plugged into a SE 3.5mm jack.

It's a stupid standard IMO, because unlike the 4.4mm standard which is designed specially for audio use, the 3.5mm Pro is hardly professional as it is trying to claim - anyone with some electronic component knowledge knows they are just recycling a bunch of 4 pole TRRS jacks and plugs components that are left over from smartphones orders which are ditching them thus these parts could be have for cheap. There's a reason why they aren't pushing this outside of China, nor should be something the audio community around the globe should embrace either IMO.
Cowon had that 3.5 balanced.

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #6,381 of 13,478
Cowon had that 3.5 balanced.

Technically Sony invented a similar pin layout first with their "separate ground" connection in the ZX2, and it wasn't a true balance connection as there was no negative pull in the amp design, rather the socket just have two separate GND pins for the left and right channel instead of sharing a single common GND pin. Hifiman and Cowon copied this as well but neither are true balance, which is why you can plug in a 3 pole TRS SE plug into these sockets safely.

The 3.5mm Pro is actually for balance usage as it aims to replace 2.5mm and 4.4mm which are used in amp design which does have a negative pull, thus they needed to have the recess socket to prevent a SE TRS plug to be inserted or else the amp will be short circuited by the GND pins on a TRS plug.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #6,382 of 13,478
This is what i got from pure DAP mango OS mode.
This is also the 3rd monitored chart, 1 x Android, 2 x mango pure dap Can this be better? Anyway, I'm fine with it. Its got quick charge after all...

This is about what I am getting out of mine as well in Mango Mode with mid gain and volume at 66 (Sony MDR-EX650 T/32 Ohm), occasionally bumped up to High gain for those songs recorded at a lower level. Like you, I am fine with the battery life - especially with the sublime sound quality!!!

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #6,383 of 13,478
Nice one @cleg thanks for sharing. Only I don't know if I agree on the resolution appreciation on comparison to AMP1Mk2... I find AMP9 very resolving, my perception is that DX229 leaves nothing behind

first of all, it's a matter of accents for me. AMP1-2 is more focused on microdetalisation, while AMP9 isn't. it's also detailed of course, but it doesn't try to highlight that aspect of the presentation

as a side note, I don't quite understand, why everyone cares so much about the detalisation. of course, it has to be good, but almost all modern DAPs are more or less in this aspect, but I'd happily trade a bit of microdetalisation for better treble layering or proper weight on mids. IMHO of curse

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #6,384 of 13,478
Anyone uses DC01 with Samsung Galaxy S9/S10? Do you have any problems using?

I saw this notice "So far, we found that the DC01 has compatibility issues with the Samsung S9 and S10 smartphones. It works flawlessly with other Android smartphones."

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #6,385 of 13,478
Via Penon audio

https://penonaudio.com/ibasso-amp7amp8.html

iBasso AMP8 3.5pro 3.5mm Balanced Headphone Amplifier Card for iBasso DX150 DX200

When using OPAMPs to develop an amplifier, it is almost impossible to achieve high voltage output and high current output, especially, on a portable devices. Some engineers have used the TPA6120 in the buffer stage to achieve 750mA output current. However, the TPA6120 has a 10ohm output impedance, which isn’t ideal for low impedance IEMs or headphones. So, we decided to use discrete components which are usually used in desktop amplifiers to develop the AMP7 but the development process is much more difficult when using discrete components. After long development period and with our final design, we present the AMP7 card that has both high voltage and high current output and at the same time maintains low output impedance with extremely good measurements. AMP7 complements the premium performance of the DX150 and the DX200, giving you even more choices when playing the music you enjoy.

———————————

There used to a picture advert somewhere posted. But i can’t find it

Strange, really. in the morning there was a couple, this 1's blurred, but the pro looks like this...

upload_2019-7-14_22-31-40.png

Jul 14, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,386 of 13,478
The explanation for 3.5mm Pro is only available in Simplified Chinese, so you won't find much information in English. But here are the pictures from the inital announcement:

Capture1.JPG

Showing the extended red plastic ring of the plug that is 5mm in diamter and 3.5mm long to go into the recessed socket.

capture2.JPG

A very dishonest picture showing the supposed size advantage over 4.4mm socket.
Anyway whom has seen an actual 4.4mm socket should know the most outside protection ring is NOT part of the 4.4mm socket standard and is not a requirement. The size advantage is actually almost non-existent.

Capture3.JPG

An actual 3.5mm Pro socket. Very cheap looking and doesn't hold a candle to the two contact point per pin of a proper 4.4mm Pentaconn, it's really all about reusing existing 3.5mm TRRS tooling and keeping cost down, rather than because it is actually good for the end user or getting further improvements.

The 3.5mm Pro standard is useless as it is not really much better than the already more provalent 2.5mm balance standard and is technically inferior to the better designed 4.4mm standard, it just further fractures the balance connection standard. Stay away from it I say and don't give it any more market exposure.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #6,387 of 13,478
This is about what I am getting out of mine as well in Mango Mode with mid gain and volume at 66 (Sony MDR-EX650 T/32 Ohm), occasionally bumped up to High gain for those songs recorded at a lower level. Like you, I am fine with the battery life - especially with the sublime sound quality!!!

Cheers,
Tim

Sublime it is !
Let's just enjoy the Music...

Cheers to you, too
Benj.

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #6,388 of 13,478
first of all, it's a matter of accents for me. AMP1-2 is more focused on microdetalisation, while AMP9 isn't. it's also detailed of course, but it doesn't try to highlight that aspect of the presentation

as a side note, I don't quite understand, why everyone cares so much about the detalisation. of course, it has to be good, but almost all modern DAPs are more or less in this aspect, but I'd happily trade a bit of microdetalisation for better treble layering or proper weight on mids. IMHO of curse

These details exist on all frequencies.
Why (i myself) insist / chase on those details ? That's part of my entertainment, for me that's how I perceive to be close to the actual venue of that state of performance captured in the recording.
A good performance isn't perfect. somebody coughed, captured. The drummer hailed to the guitarist to get ready for the riff, to the vocalist for brace for the opening notes, captured.

Of course, i most truly respect your preference, weight on mids & the high freq. layering to complete a good listening experience...

Jul 14, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #6,389 of 13,478
Anyone uses DC01 with Samsung Galaxy S9/S10? Do you have any problems using?

I saw this notice "So far, we found that the DC01 has compatibility issues with the Samsung S9 and S10 smartphones. It works flawlessly with other Android smartphones."

Seems that most of the people who have issues with DC01 and S9/S10 have phones with Exynos processor and corresponding chipset. Otherwise, if your S9/S10 uses Snapdragon processor, there are no issues. If I'm not mistaken, all US Galaxy phones, at least on Verizon, use Snapdragon. I'm using Verizon S9 w/DC01 without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back