DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 3, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #5,762 of 13,478
Do you use express courier? Do you have to pay any customs duty? Thanks
No customs for us because under $1000. Received via DHL. AMP9 sounds lush straight out of box on first impressions on MDR1A and CA Andromeda. Highs may even have a little more sparkle without being harsh. (Compared to AMP1mkii and AMP8) definitely fuller sounding in a great way!

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #5,763 of 13,478

Amp 9 goodness. Opening up more now

Coincidence; I was listening to 'The Dancer' from that same album last night, also on DX220 with AMP9.. sounded extremely lush and musical, and with outstanding clarity and detail too (mind you, I'm listening on my 'detail monster' Stealthsonics U9 IEMs) :)

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #5,764 of 13,478
No customs for us because under $1000. Received via DHL. AMP9 sounds lush straight out of box on first impressions on MDR1A and CA Andromeda. Highs may even have a little more sparkle without being harsh. (Compared to AMP1mkii and AMP8) definitely fuller sounding in a great way!

The same as here, no customs under 20 € - serious!

" ... even have a little more sparkle without being harsh. (Compared to AMP1mkii ..." ? Oh, that alone sounds like music for me, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #5,765 of 13,478
Noice :) AMP9 time.........

If you bump the DX220 with AMP9 you can hear a little tube shimmer like a bell. Tapping lightly on the AMP9 casing from left side to right side with your finger and you can hear the tubes ringing and panning from left to right.
In normal listening and moving about I havent heard the tubes ring but it's definitely not a setup for an active listening session. Fortunately with my USB-C Dock and Bluetooth remote I can enjoy at my desk without even touching.
Turning up the volume or skipping tracks.. I also use the BT remote on the train or walking around the city so I dont have to worry about dropping the DX220. :)

I can highly recommend a USB-C Dock and BT remote. :)

I'm using a front end interface called Automate that can also be setup as your default launcher. Easier to read song titles, nice large album covers - swipe left right for track change swap between all your audio apps and have quick access to shortcuts and a slick clean uncluttered interface, even for Neutron. Tap song title to tap through to the audio player and after you select a track it will revert back to Automate.

I've emailed the developer and they'll add support for a shortcut to Mango Player in next release. I've used Automate on a 10" tablet in the car for a couple years in place of Android Auto / Apple Car play. Works wonderfully just the same on the lil' DX220. :)

DX220 AMP9 by Hilton, on Flickr

Automate. by Hilton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #5,766 of 13,478

If you bump the DX220 with AMP9 you can hear a little tube shimmer like a bell. Tapping lightly on the AMP9 casing from left side to right side with your finger and you can hear the tubes ringing and panning from left to right.
In normal listening and moving about I havent heard the tubes ring but it's definitely not a setup for an active listening session. Fortunately with my USB-C Dock and Bluetooth remote I can enjoy at my desk without even touching.
Turning up the volume or skipping tracks.. I also use the BT remote on the train or walking around the city so I dont have to worry about dropping the DX220. :)

I'm using a front end interface called Automate that can also be setup as your default launcher. Easier to read song titles, nice large album covers - swipe left right for track change swap between all your audio apps and have quick access to shortcuts and a slick clean uncluttered interface, even for Neutron. Tap song title to tap through to the audio player and after you select a track it will revert back to Automate.

I've emailed the developer and they'll add support for a shortcut to Mango Player in next release. I've used Automate on a 10" tablet in the car for a couple years in place of Android Auto / Apple Car play. Works wonderfully just the same on the lil' DX220. :)

Ouch... How bout lifting, changing song and putting back the DX220 to table? Will it introduced noise into the audio?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #5,767 of 13,478
Ouch... How bout lifting, changing song and putting back the DX220 to table?
No problem at all - even docking and undocking I cant hear tube ringing. Putting on table or picking up with no music playing you will hear a small amount of tube ringing. They can't make the damping perfect but it's definitely good enough! ( i should clarify it's very very low level ringing)

I'll report back tomorrow on my daily commute in the train with it in my jacket pocket. :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #5,768 of 13,478
Are there any possible ways to reboot (wake up) the DX220?
I don't understand the question. If you mean, what to do when DX220 hangs, then disconnect it from a computer or charger and press and hold Power button for 10 seconds to forcibly switch it off.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #5,769 of 13,478
Can't wait for mine to be delivered on Friday!
How is the hiss with the Andromedas?
For reference with Andromeda S I can't hear any with Amp1mk2 SE but can hear a tiny amount with Amp8 - both on low gain.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #5,770 of 13,478

Same issue on Oriolus BA300S :D

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #5,771 of 13,478
Can't wait for mine to be delivered on Friday!
How is the hiss with the Andromedas?
For reference with Andromeda S I can't hear any with Amp1mk2 SE but can hear a tiny amount with Amp8 - both on low gain.
Just listening now.... Definitely a little more hiss than the AMP8 and AMP1mkII - about the same level of hiss as on the FiiO Q5 w/ AM3B. So it's not great but it's not really bad either.

Surprisingly though, the bass and sub-bass is still present with AMP9 and Andromeda's. Because the Korg nutube's that I've seen reviewed on other devices have an output impedance of around 10ohms which is too high for the Andromeda's.. So iBasso must have done some electronic wizardry to get the output impedance back down again. The Andromeda's sound very lush, full and round sounding with great extension and sparkly highs. There's definitely a lush slightly warm tube like wetness to the sound with both my MDR-1A and Andromeda's. So far I'm really enjoying the AMP9 and not missing the slightly wider seperation and meatier power of the balanced AMP8 or the AMP1MkII reference sound.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,774 of 13,478
Linda Ronstadt - What's New - w/ The Nelson Riddle Orchestra - One of my favourite pieces for listening to new equipment.

AMP9 w/ Andromeda on low gain. Hiss is very acceptable and barely noticeable and only in the quietest moment.
The Horns that push forward @ 2:25 in the bridge of What's New are marvellous, full and very natural, Linda's voice is very up close personal and breathy and yet dynamic when she stretches out , you can hear the room and separation of instruments, strings are beautifully rendered and the high hat shimmers beautifully... A lovely experience for sure!

On Left in Neutron - on Right w/ Automate as the front end launcher.
AMP9 Linda Ronstadt by Hilton, on FlickrAMP9 Linda Ronstadt by Hilton, on Flickr

Jul 3, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #5,775 of 13,478
Wow what an experience. iBasso DX220 is an Awesome DAP, Amazing Campfire Audio Andromeda IEMs , Lush and beatifully rich AMP9 with the new Korg Nutube.

JRiver as server (locally on DAP) and JRemote playing back to the "Player" of JRiver to get the full unadulterated hi-res audio. Falling in love with my music collection all over again. :)

JRiver JRemote DX220 by Hilton, on Flickr

JRiver JRemote DX220 by Hilton, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back