DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #436 of 13,478
That level is DMP -Z1 :wink: hahaha...even if Ibasso could pull it off...wont be cheap

$8K is kinda ridiculous for a transportable (not quite portable, but can be battery operated, and has carrying case) DAC/AMP with DAP capabilities.

I mean, if I was a billionaire, making at least $1 billion per year, or $480K per hour, sure, $8K would be the change I find in the folds of my sofa, so yeah, I’d be buying it.
But alas, billionaire, I am not. Spending $8K on a home system that lasts for decades makes total sense, and I can justify saving up for that. But $8K for a transportable, yeah, I don’t think so.

I think even $3K for the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch is kinda ridiculous (though in all honesty I'm teetering)

The DX220 at $899 + maybe a second or third amp at $150 each, yeah, okay. That I can justify for a device I’ll be sure to enjoy for at least a year, maybe two, and usable for maybe 4 years.

The portable market just changes too fast for me to justify spending too much on any one device. Anyway, that’s my stance today, might change my stance in a few months, LOL

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #437 of 13,478
$8K is kinda ridiculous for a transportable (not quite portable, but can be battery operated, and has carrying case) DAC/AMP with DAP capabilities.

I mean, if I was a billionaire, making at least $1 billion per year, or $480K per hour, sure, $8K would be the change I find in the folds of my sofa, so, sure, I’d be buying it.
But alas, billionaire, I am not. Spending $8K on a home system that lasts for decades, sure, I can save up for that. But $8K for a transportable, yeah, I don’t think so.

I think even $3K for the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch is kinda ridiculous.

The DX220 at $899 + maybe a second or third amp at $150 each, yeah, sure. That I can justify for a device I’ll be sure to enjoy for at least a year, maybe two, and usable for maybe 4 years.

The portable market just changes too fast for me to justify spending too much on any one device. Anyway, that’s my stance today, might change my stance in a few months, LOL

Well said. Of course, now you're making me second guess spending on the Solaris + whatever DAP I end up with!

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #438 of 13,478
UI looks better than the 200 hopefully its a good price

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #439 of 13,478
Well said. Of course, now you're making me second guess spending on the Solaris + whatever DAP I end up with!

Oh, i’m not trying to convince anyone of anything, nor am I saying my stance is firm.
Really just spouting my thought of the day. An opinion that could easily change tomorrow, lol.
Probably more me typing it out to try and convince myself to be rational, to stop my hand from finding and clicking on a buy the DMP-Z1 now, RIGHT NOW, button, hahahaha

Though honestly, the DX220 looks like it’s the exact fit for my needs, so hopefully, crossing fingers, it’ll overcome my frustrations with my current DAPs, for at least a couple of years, before I get frustrated with it and lust after the next DAP in a year, hopefully two years.

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #440 of 13,478

I mean, if I was a billionaire, making at least $1 billion per year, or $480K per hour, sure, $8K would be the change I find in the folds of my sofa, so, sure, I’d be buying it.
But alas, billionaire, I am not. Spending $8K on a home system that lasts for decades, sure, I can save up for that. But $8K for a transportable, yeah, I don’t think so.

I think even $3K for the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch is kinda ridiculous.

The DX220 at $899 + maybe a second or third amp at $150 each, yeah, sure. That I can justify for a device I’ll be sure to enjoy for at least a year, maybe two, and usable for maybe 4 years.

You put a lot of thought into justifying you spending 899 usd. I just buy what sounds good. I hand my debit card over and over and the shop gives me things to take home.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #442 of 13,478
You put a lot of thought into justifying you spending 899 usd. I just buy what sounds good. I hand my debit card over and over and the shop gives me things to take home.

Even assuming we could all do that, I still try to take these decisions carefully. It would get out of hand in a hurry if I just bought everything on a whim! Also trying to set a good example for my kids in that regard. That said, it would certainly be nice to just buy whatever I wanted whenever I wanted!

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #443 of 13,478
Even assuming we could all do that, I still try to take these decisions carefully. It would get out of hand in a hurry if I just bought everything on a whim! Also trying to set a good example for my kids in that regard. That said, it would certainly be nice to just buy whatever I wanted whenever I wanted!
I tell my kids do what I say and not what I do. My eight year old paid for the home groceries with her allowance her mom gave her. I dont give her an allowence cause I just bought a headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #444 of 13,478
I tell my kids do what I say and not what I do. My eight year old paid for the home groceries with her allowance her mom gave her. I dont give her an allowence cause I just bought a headphone.

I did something even better: Not have any kids and spend all money for my own toys. Hahahaha!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #445 of 13,478
TBH I can't remember the last time a product (any product) came out with an update that's cheaper than the original. If it's really the reported $899, the DX220 is a very tempting package. My only concern is whether or not will be seeing a DX300 by the holiday season.

As someone who got a DX150 to wait for the DX200 upgrade. I'll probably be waiting some more.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #446 of 13,478
TBH I can't remember the last time a product (any product) came out with an update that's cheaper than the original. If it's really the reported $899, the DX220 is a very tempting package. My only concern is whether or not will be seeing a DX300 by the holiday season.

As someone who got a DX150 to wait for the DX200 upgrade. I'll probably be waiting some more.

Where is the $899 reported other than unsupported speculation in this thread? I've seen other unsupported speculation saying $999, and even that seems aggressive unless iBasso doesn't want to sell any more 200s.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #447 of 13,478
I haven't seen the price verified either. So when it launches, I might decide not to move forward with a purchase yet.
So many things in my purchase queue, and my last purchase, a new rather expensive headphone, put a gigantic dent, so if the DX220 comes in at $1200 not including extra amp modules, might have to wait a bit.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #448 of 13,478
Maybe they haven't decided yet the AMP module that will be delivered in the box? Otherwise looking at the upgrades, I would not expect anything much more than the price of DX200, which is listed for $869 on the iBasso webshop.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #449 of 13,478
Where is the $899 reported other than unsupported speculation in this thread? I've seen other unsupported speculation saying $999, and even that seems aggressive unless iBasso doesn't want to sell any more 200s.

Yea fair enough, most my information is from this thread/affiliated links I've clicked through to, so you'll have to point me towards the $999 price.

A couple pages back there was a screenshot posted of specs and price. Since all the specs turned out to be true, I'm going with that info.

I haven't seen the price verified either. So when it launches, I might decide not to move forward with a purchase yet.
So many things in my purchase queue, and my last purchase, a new rather expensive headphone, put a gigantic dent, so if the DX220 comes in at $1200 not including extra amp modules, might have to wait a bit.

If I was a better man I'd say it won't be $1200, but who knows.

--

@DarginMahkum - interesting point. I can see iBasso selling this with/without AMP, if they're assuming people are coming from the DX200/DX150 and already have the AMPs. Also the variance from $869/899/999 could be AMP options? ($999 for DX220 + NuTube? LOL jokes guys)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #450 of 13,478
Yea fair enough, most my information is from this thread/affiliated links I've clicked through to, so you'll have to point me towards the $999 price.

A couple pages back there was a screenshot posted of specs and price. Since all the specs turned out to be true, I'm going with that info.

If I was a better man I'd say it won't be $1200, but who knows.

--

@DarginMahkum - interesting point. I can see iBasso selling this with/without AMP, if they're assuming people are coming from the DX200/DX150 and already have the AMPs. Also the variance from $869/899/999 could be AMP options? ($999 for DX220 + NuTube? LOL jokes guys)

They speculate $999 here. I'm not disagreeing with you (and admittedly have no basis to do so), I just think it would be insane for iBasso to price the upgrade at $30 more than the current gen, unless they don't care if they never sell another 200 again (which also seems insane, but here's hoping!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back