DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 16, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #12,766 of 13,478
No problem... Sharing is caring, I asked the Modder to get the closest to my preferred Sound Sig, as he described, A warm vocal with overall tuned Neutral to Bright, with extra Mid Bass that puncy enough & tight... hahaha... there's one more caps that missing, cause is difficult to get here during Pandemic.

need Burn in again around 100 hours...

I get my AMP3 direct to Paul, so prob just be patient enough, and looking for used one, OTB AMP3 is not impressive, and pairing with DX200 will be very segmented listener... IMO.. but with proper MOD, its a Diamond that need to be Grind down...
Except having the only AMP that have Line Out in balanced from all AMP modular portfolio.
IMO, DAC/AMP with Line in in Balanced now is booming.. so having AMP3 will be an option for your DX150, DX200 & DX220 being transportable music player via M2M.
20201106_074018.jpg
Balanced M2M TRRS, 44TRRS to 25TRRS (source).
hope you now where I am getting... hehehe

Edit : my purpose is to Drive max my earbud to the highest it can produce SQ, in Mobile manner/config. Because my earbud need all the technically that DX223 can give. But still in DAP form...
And this earbud is scalable following the DX223 increase..
IMHO...
BTW, forgot to share...
Never try DX220Max... but i do hope it sound as transparent, musical with grand soundstaging as this..
20201113_122211.jpg

DX223 via LO 2.5TRRS - M2M 2.5TRRS to 4.4TRRS - Romy LessFox BX2...

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #12,767 of 13,478
Nov 17, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #12,768 of 13,478
Alright gentlemen, I was able to confirm this instant regarding Amp8 and Amp8EX.

You can not, definitely Do not, try and modify your module into a Single ended or using those 4.4 male to 3.5 female adaptor.

I saw the feedbacks where someone tried it but had severely degraded sound performances. That is because the channels are shorting out.

For the very same purposes of using discrete amplification Design and SE single ended, Ibasso did make Amp7. Save yourself some troubles and get that instead

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #12,769 of 13,478
BTW, forgot to share...
Never try DX220Max... but i do hope it sound as transparent, musical with grand soundstaging as this..

DX223 via LO 2.5TRRS - M2M 2.5TRRS to 4.4TRRS - Romy LessFox BX2...
I never had the chance to really try out that gigantic Amp. One thing for sure is that the Dx220 and Amp3 is a very capable source out to many amps.

The Max has pretty gigantic staging for DAP and portable players I have observed. It is behind DMP Z1, but the DMP is not a portable DAP lol

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #12,770 of 13,478
Yes, it was the first one I came across . ...

Thanks!

You can not, definitely Do not, try and modify your module into a Single ended or using those 4.4 male to 3.5 female adaptor.

what about the iBasso 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adaptor? Since it's made by iBasso, I presume that it's OK to use with amp8?

On a different note, has anyone had their DX220 unit simply forget about the microSD card in Mango player? When I pressed on music ==> artists, the ONLY artist showing was the single artist on the internal storage. When I went to internal storage, it showed all of the artists/files on the microSD card, it's just Mango player wasn't letting me select them from album or artist, I had to go to file system. I ended up having to re-scan the microSD card for it to work properly.

If I understand it correctly, resetting the unit is simply holding down the power on/off button for 10 seconds, correct? Does the unit acknowledge that the unit has been reset or is it all "silently"?

Given the issues that I've been experiencing - odd and very poor sound quality (muddled, bass heavy, no treble or detail) on several occasions now, I am concerned that my player has a major issue. I suspect that it is with the 3.5mm input, more than the microSD card or something else within the unit. One moment it works properly and sound quality is excellent, and then randomly, sound quality goes down the drain badly and rebooting the phone etc doesn't fix it. Very frustrating experience so far.

Nov 18, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #12,771 of 13,478
Thanks!

what about the iBasso 2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced adaptor? Since it's made by iBasso, I presume that it's OK to use with amp8?

On a different note, has anyone had their DX220 unit simply forget about the microSD card in Mango player? When I pressed on music ==> artists, the ONLY artist showing was the single artist on the internal storage. When I went to internal storage, it showed all of the artists/files on the microSD card, it's just Mango player wasn't letting me select them from album or artist, I had to go to file system. I ended up having to re-scan the microSD card for it to work properly.

If I understand it correctly, resetting the unit is simply holding down the power on/off button for 10 seconds, correct? Does the unit acknowledge that the unit has been reset or is it all "silently"?

Given the issues that I've been experiencing - odd and very poor sound quality (muddled, bass heavy, no treble or detail) on several occasions now, I am concerned that my player has a major issue. I suspect that it is with the 3.5mm input, more than the microSD card or something else within the unit. One moment it works properly and sound quality is excellent, and then randomly, sound quality goes down the drain badly and rebooting the phone etc doesn't fix it. Very frustrating experience so far.

2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced wouldn't be an issue because both are balanced. The problem occurs when you try to go balanced to single ended (like your 3.5mm). Because balanced has two separate negative lines and SE has only one, this can potentially result in a short between separately amped left and right channels (not saying the short would only occur on the negative) On the other side of the equation, a converter which allows a balanced jack to connect to a single ended port (so if you wanted to use your balanced ear/headphones on your phone or computer, for example) would be no problem at all.

Holding down the power button for 10 seconds doesn't reset the unit. Just reboots it.

You're having a lot of issues with your unit - as you may remember, you and I both bought at pretty much the same time.
Though it's unrelated (I believe) I think I'm right in saying that you're using AMP9 but also hoping to drive full size cans. Amp9 power output is really low. It's ok for IEMs but I honestly wouldn't go beyond that. I also fairly firmly believe that AMP9 really does need a burn in period to get rid of some rough edges. I also have this amp but am having far too much fun listening with Amp8 to go through the burn in process with 9, so it currently sits unused in its box.

For the issues you are currently reporting, my first advice is as follows:
1) Download the Hiby Music app and use this instead of Mango. To my ears (and bearing in mind I'm using Amp8) Hiby does a better job in terms of sound quality in general. It also seems a little smoother than Mango in operation. Again, bear in mind that I favor the folder navigation option rather than artist/album/genre. But give Hiby a go and see if that helps with the disappearing SD card.

2) The sound quality issue could be down to incorrect amp/headphone pairing, or an issue with the amp, or an issue with the player. To be honest, given the price and the fact that you only purchased very recently, I would get in touch with your dealer and, failing that, iBasso and arrange a replacement of both the amp and the player (just to be sure). You shouldn't be having this much trouble with a brand new unit. As a comparison (again, different amp model) mine has been absolutely fine (touch wood).

Best of luck and keep us informed!!

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #12,772 of 13,478
2.5mm balanced to 4.4mm balanced wouldn't be an issue because both are balanced. The problem occurs when you try to go balanced to single ended (like your 3.5mm). Because balanced has two separate negative lines and SE has only one, this can potentially result in a short between separately amped left and right channels (not saying the short would only occur on the negative) On the other side of the equation, a converter which allows a balanced jack to connect to a single ended port (so if you wanted to use your balanced ear/headphones on your phone or computer, for example) would be no problem at all.

Holding down the power button for 10 seconds doesn't reset the unit. Just reboots it.

You're having a lot of issues with your unit - as you may remember, you and I both bought at pretty much the same time.
Though it's unrelated (I believe) I think I'm right in saying that you're using AMP9 but also hoping to drive full size cans. Amp9 power output is really low. It's ok for IEMs but I honestly wouldn't go beyond that. I also fairly firmly believe that AMP9 really does need a burn in period to get rid of some rough edges. I also have this amp but am having far too much fun listening with Amp8 to go through the burn in process with 9, so it currently sits unused in its box.

For the issues you are currently reporting, my first advice is as follows:
1) Download the Hiby Music app and use this instead of Mango. To my ears (and bearing in mind I'm using Amp8) Hiby does a better job in terms of sound quality in general. It also seems a little smoother than Mango in operation. Again, bear in mind that I favor the folder navigation option rather than artist/album/genre. But give Hiby a go and see if that helps with the disappearing SD card.

2) The sound quality issue could be down to incorrect amp/headphone pairing, or an issue with the amp, or an issue with the player. To be honest, given the price and the fact that you only purchased very recently, I would get in touch with your dealer and, failing that, iBasso and arrange a replacement of both the amp and the player (just to be sure). You shouldn't be having this much trouble with a brand new unit. As a comparison (again, different amp model) mine has been absolutely fine (touch wood).

Best of luck and keep us informed!!

Nope, amp 1 (stock amp) and CCA C10 IEMs - when the unit is working, the combo sounds fantastic. I've tried Sennheiser HD600 in the DX220 and had the same sound quality issues. I have a cheaper pair of Sennheisers too (can't remember the model) and the same sound issue happens with them. It's not the headphones, of that I am utterly confident. The odds of having 3 headphones have problems, is very small. And those very same headphones work fine in my AK 120 II and iPhone 6.

I'll try the Hiby music app, but I do prefer viewing music by album/artist, so mango player would be much preferred. One of the reasons why I went with the DX220 over the Fiio M11 was because I preferred the UI of the Mango player.

If it was a mismatch/pairing issue, then the bad sound quality would persist the entire time, not just come and go.

I've just received my Reech and Peacock Spring 1 IEMs and had a chance to listen on Monday night - no sound issues. Didn't get a chance to listen last night, but will test and see what happens. From a sound point of view, I find them inferior to the C10s - they're rather bland, recessed treble and their soundstage is narrower than the C10s, with instrument placement being worse too. I'd even say the C10s have more detail. Bass is better on the Spring 1 though - better definition and detail. Vocals are slightly recessed with the Spring 1's too, at least compared to the C10s. And the C10s are way more comfortable in my ears. A disappointing purchase.

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #12,773 of 13,478
I'll try the Hiby music app, but I do prefer viewing music by album/artist, so mango player would be much preferred. One of the reasons why I went with the DX220 over the Fiio M11 was because I preferred the UI of the Mango player.

That is still an option in Hiby Music. I just don't use it. My caveat was to do with the fact that I find Hiby smoother in operation (but that I do not use the album/artist option)

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #12,774 of 13,478
That is still an option in Hiby Music. I just don't use it. My caveat was to do with the fact that I find Hiby smoother in operation (but that I do not use the album/artist option)

Ahh! Thanks for the clarification.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #12,776 of 13,478
The one I took out was thickened and soft. I think it might be the cause of its malfunction because it was plugged into a fast charger

We've all been there, buddy....

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #12,779 of 13,478
What quick charge did you encounter the issues with?

yes, that was what I was going to ask too. iBasso have warned me not to use the 18w Samsung 9v fast charger (I returned it for a refund).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back