DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jan 30, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #10,681 of 13,478
I have 3.5 and 4.4 cables but don't have a 2.5mm one.

I tried everything. My FLAC library, streamed a lot of different music from TIDAL, listened to reference playlists, downloaded many new albums and DSD music. Tried music from nearly all genres.
The sound quality varies hugely between different types of muusic. But even the best sounding ones don't sound good enough. Nowhere near the soundstage and clarity you'd expect from Focal Clear + a TOTL audio player.
I also tried both Mango and Android OS, all three gains, all 7 digital filters, last firmware and its Lurker & Fidelizer variants, both AMP1 and AMP8
well what other TOTL you have try with Clear?

and do you know what Sound Sig you after?

Anyway... just want to step back and chill a bit...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #10,684 of 13,478
The beautiful thing about the DX220’s is the ability to swap out modules :)

It depends.
The advantage of non-modular devices is, you buy it once and that's it. Fiio M15 for example, you buy it and you'll have the access the all potential of the device. No more purchases for anything extra, the deal is done. But amp modules can be a rabbit hole. More things to worry about and buy.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #10,685 of 13,478
It depends.
The advantage of non-modular devices is, you buy it once and that's it. Fiio M15 for example, you buy it and you'll have the access the all potential of the device. No more purchases for anything extra, the deal is done. But amp modules can be a rabbit hole. More things to worry about and buy.

If you don't like the sound of the Fiio M15 you're stuck with it or have to resell it. With the DX220 you have so many options to choose from. Even more when you can mod those AMP modules.

Jan 30, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #10,686 of 13,478
It depends.

Ha, I went down that rabbit hole! But once I got AMP8EX that was it, I sold off all my other amps except AMP8EX the stock one. AMP8EX is a keeper and the best of the lot IMHO.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #10,687 of 13,478
Hey guys, my DX220 was working well with the latest firmware and latest L add-on. However, recently it went down and no matter what I try it won't come back up. I've had this issue before when I use it in DAC mode. When the battery drained it would shut down and it would take some work to get it to wake up. Usually it meant plugging it in and unplugging it and holding down the power/play button for a really long time. It always worked eventually, but this last time I can't get it to start up.

I've held down the power and power/play buttons repeatedly for minutes at a time. I've tried this plugged and unplugged into a multiple different power supplies. I even installed a fresh battery just in case. I also connected it to Windows without effect. I then tried the Android Tool. It displays that it found "one MaskROM device," instead of "loader device."

Has anyone run into this before with the unit going into maskROM mode? Any ideas how to get it to start up again? Should I try to reflash the firmware in maskrom mode with Android Tool?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #10,689 of 13,478
Any Rockchip SoC has built-in mask ROM for initial firmware loading. This makes it back to impossible to permanently damage such devices by flashing firmware or clearing its NAND flash.

But, to enter MaskROM mode, the SoC must be unable to read NAND flash, or unable to find a boot loader there. To do it intentionally, it is required to short some pins of the NAND flash chip.

So, if your device starts in this mode, it means either:
  • Hardware problem: NAND flash can't be read by SoC.
  • Unusual software problem: NAND flash has lost its content.
AndroidTool is able to flash full firmware image in MaskROM mode. It is no different from LOADER mode. So, you may try to flash the image from the first page of the thread (v.1.12 is available). In unfortunate case if AndroidTool would fail, it would be helpful to see both the text it showed on the screen, and the content of the latest log file (from Log folder near AndroidTool.exe).

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #10,690 of 13,478
From what I've read a Rockchip device will enter maskrom when it can't enter into loader mode. But, it seems like this usually? takes a hardware mod on the nand chip pins, which I never touched. It's really odd.

[We posted at the same time. Thanks Lurker. I'll to try to reflash the latest firmware.]

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #10,692 of 13,478
Hey guys, my DX220 was working well with the latest firmware and latest L add-on. However, recently it went down and no matter what I try it won't come back up. I've had this issue before when I use it in DAC mode. When the battery drained it would shut down and it would take some work to get it to wake up. Usually it meant plugging it in and unplugging it and holding down the power/play button for a really long time. It always worked eventually, but this last time I can't get it to start up.

I've held down the power and power/play buttons repeatedly for minutes at a time. I've tried this plugged and unplugged into a multiple different power supplies. I even installed a fresh battery just in case. I also connected it to Windows without effect. I then tried the Android Tool. It displays that it found "one MaskROM device," instead of "loader device."

Has anyone run into this before with the unit going into maskROM mode? Any ideas how to get it to start up again? Should I try to reflash the firmware in maskrom mode with Android Tool?

Thanks!

I had run into similar situation where dx220 wouldnt boot up properly. Only mine went into boot loop.
I was able to resolve by reflashing the rom using the android tool. The device was only resonsive under
android tool.

Jan 31, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #10,693 of 13,478
I had run into similar situation where dx220 wouldnt boot up properly. Only mine went into boot loop.
I was able to resolve by reflashing the rom using the android tool. The device was only resonsive under
android tool.

Definitely, I'm going to try flashing with Android Tool. I hope you got it working again!

Whit, if that doesn't work I'm going to take a scope to the board and see if anything is going on with the chip pins.

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #10,694 of 13,478
I tried to reflash the firmware with the latest Android Tool and firmware.

Initially it started to download the boot but then I got an IDB fail. I tried a few more times but I got a "boot fail" right at the start. Now, it no longer recognizes the unit at all and says "no device found."

I am going to take a look a inside and check the pins on the chips but I did clean pretty well when I was in there. I'm really not sure what's going on at this point.

Jan 31, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #10,695 of 13,478
After a few minutes, my unit was recognized again as a maskrom device.

When I try to flash the firmware, this is what happens.
Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back