DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #10,098 of 13,478
Have you ever encountered "Sound quality defective " DX220 or amp modules ?

My DX220 and AMP8 is fully functional without any issues. Everything works flawlessly, volume, EQ and gain are alright.
My only concern is I sometimes find the sound quality below my hopes.

Is it likely that my DX220 or AMP8 is defective ?Paul checked the serial numbers and no issues were found. Sending the units to China and to here back would be very very expensive, it would be an useless effort ?

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #10,099 of 13,478
Is any one using the 220 with some wireless devices like Sony wh-1000xm3 or Bose qc35/700 or sennheiser pxc or this line? Just to know if they sound good through Bluetooth

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #10,101 of 13,478
Have you ever encountered "Sound quality defective " DX220 or amp modules ?

My DX220 and AMP8 is fully functional without any issues. Everything works flawlessly, volume, EQ and gain are alright.
My only concern is I sometimes find the sound quality below my hopes.

Is it likely that my DX220 or AMP8 is defective ?Paul checked the serial numbers and no issues were found. Sending the units to China and to here back would be very very expensive, it would be an useless effort ?

Is it at all possible the DAP is revealing some poorly recorded material?

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #10,102 of 13,478
Is it at all possible the DAP is revealing some poorly recorded material?

Possible. Some of the very high quality recordings I found sound good.
Most of my FLAC library's recording quality is just above average but they often sound poor out of my DX220. I should've said "I hear details I've never heard before, amazing!" but I hear unwanted noises and flaws, especially within highs.

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #10,104 of 13,478
Most of my FLAC library's recording quality is just above average but they often sound poor out of my DX220. I should've said "I hear details I've never heard before, amazing!" but I hear unwanted noises and flaws, especially within highs.
my experience with the dx220 was the same and I was returning it

Jan 10, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #10,105 of 13,478

The Sabre 9028 Pro DAC chips inside the DX220 have the reputation that they are analytical and reveal bad recordings or bad file format conversions (poor mp3 for example).

When some of your recordings are really good and others are bad, this might be the reason, but bad recordings are not a fault of the DX220.

About the unwanted noise:
Another user owning the same headphones should be able to confirm if the pairing with the DX220 Amp8 causes waterfall hiss or not.
My quite sensitive SE846 have no hiss, from my point of view the Amp8 design is quite good, but i've read that i think Solaris have a very low amount of hiss.

It could also be that your headphones have a defect or are simply not as good as you expect.

If you have still your Amp1mk2, i would swap the current Amp8 to the stock Amp1mk2 and verify with other headphones if the unwanted noise is still there. In this way you can exclude that the DX220 has a defect. Then it could be either the Amp8 or your headphones.

In my personal opinion the DX220 Amp1mk2 and even more so Amp8EX-FE sounds pretty amazing paired with my Shure SE846 IEMs and also with my full size Fostex TH900 mk2.
When you are not satisfied, my guess is that either your headphones are crap (sorry to say), defect or you are unlucky and have a defective unit.

In my opinion the iBasso engineers did a really great job in terms of circuit design and sound quality. Hats off!

When somebody says that the DX220 has a bad sound quality, i really don't know what this person is talking about. I definitive can't confirm this.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #10,106 of 13,478
Coming from N8 background I was quite impressed how this mod combination expands the sound spectrum range to boundless.
The depth and width this thing provides is enormous with extreme clarity. This is a different level of bass I've heard on any IEMs.
DX220 was already sounding excellent but this mod (fidelizer body mod/amp8exfe) is definitely upgrade which you can clearly distinguish.
I congratulate iBasso for its great DX220 invention which has so much potential to improve upon.
Thanks for your impressions

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #10,107 of 13,478
The Sabre 9028 Pro DAC chips inside the DX220 have the reputation that they are analytical and reveal bad recordings or bad file format conversions (poor mp3 for example).

When some of your recordings are really good and others are bad, this might be the reason, but bad recordings are not a fault of the DX220.

About the unwanted noise:
Another user owning the same headphones should be able to confirm if the pairing with the DX220 Amp8 causes waterfall hiss or not.
My quite sensitive SE846 have no hiss, from my point of view the Amp8 design is quite good, but i've read that i think Solaris have a very low amount of hiss.

It could also be that your headphones have a defect or are simply not as good as you expect.

If you have still your Amp1mk2, i would swap the current Amp8 to the stock Amp1mk2 and verify with other headphones if the unwanted noise is still there. In this way you can exclude that the DX220 has a defect. Then it could be either the Amp8 or your headphones.

In my personal opinion the DX220 Amp1mk2 and even more so Amp8EX-FE sounds pretty amazing paired with my Shure SE846 IEMs and also with my full size Fostex TH900 mk2.
When you are not satisfied, my guess is that either your headphones are crap (sorry to say), defect or you are unlucky and have a defective unit.

In my opinion the iBasso engineers did a really great job in terms of circuit design and sound quality. Hats off!

When somebody says that the DX220 has a bad sound quality, i really don't know what this person is talking about. I definitive can't confirm this.

To my experience, not only bad but "average and "above average " quality recordings also sound miserable. Recording quality of music before 2000s is not up to today's standarts and most of them sound bad out of DX220. So I have to give up all rock, metal, classical etc. music I love and I can only listen to a few reference quality modern recordings ? What is your experience about this matter ?

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #10,108 of 13,478
To my experience, not only bad but "average and "above average " quality recordings also sound miserable. Recording quality of music before 2000s is not up to today's standarts and most of them sound bad out of DX220. So I have to give up all rock, metal, classical etc. music I love and I can only listen to a few reference quality modern recordings ? What is your experience about this matter ?
Not my experience at all. I have bought plenty from HD Tracks but a lot of my stuff is ripped from CDs and the sound, if it is a good recording, and that is from he 70s, 80s, 90s etc., sound very good. Using IEMs, and very good headphones, no real issues and I listen a lot. Also use the DX220 as a line out to my electronics and other good desktop amps. Quality matters but there is a lot out there that is good and very listenable with good stage depth, transparency and musicality.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #10,110 of 13,478

No, that's not my experience.
Most of my recordings are ripped Cds in Flac 16 bit format.
Yes, the recording technology has improved over the last decades and this can be clearly recognized e.g. microphones in the 60/70 sound different than 80's or later. Most of my songs are 80's or later, but not all of them.

I don’t know what you expect, an old recording is still from this time, it doesn't sound like a new recording only because it is played with a contemporary player - but i definitive wouldn't say it sounds bad.

To name some examples of older recordings, i like the Dire Straits, early U2 or Golden Brown from The Stranglers and i love their sound. Or Kraftwerk as an non-rock example. Beautiful analogue synthesizer sound.

@flarex3
Do you have an example for an old "average" recording as you call it that sounds "miserable" with the DX220 but quite good with another device?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back