DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 27, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #9,227 of 13,478
3 days in with the dx220. Early impressions.

• Very low hiss on low gain with super sensitive IEMs. Much better than M11. Nice!
  • So much power on tap... Haven't tried it with super low sensitivy/high impedance loads, but it drivers my PM3 very well.
  • With power comes dynamics and it has it in spades.
  • Optical out to my Hugo 2 is perfect for at home.
  • So far the only thing I'm missing is a solution to my DLNA issues. I used to use AK Connect all the time with my AK players. I just put the DAP in my backpack/carry bag and control audio playback (playback control, local files & Tidal) from my phone using Bubbleupnp. Ibasso should really make that a standard feature.
    I know people say you can install Lurker mod and that gives you playstore but I'm note really so keen to mess with unofficial FW since it's running very well now. Any suggestions for free DLNA apps that would give this functionality?

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #9,228 of 13,478
On the new firmware, the battery is having problem. Previously, I can connect to my PC and charge to full at the same time.
Now the batter meter continuously drops when in DAC mode. Sad

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #9,229 of 13,478
3 days in with the dx220. Early impressions.

• Very low hiss on low gain with super sensitive IEMs. Much better than M11. Nice!
  • So much power on tap... Haven't tried it with super low sensitivy/high impedance loads, but it drivers my PM3 very well.
  • With power comes dynamics and it has it in spades.
  • Optical out to my Hugo 2 is perfect for at home.
  • So far the only thing I'm missing is a solution to my DLNA issues. I used to use AK Connect all the time with my AK players. I just put the DAP in my backpack/carry bag and control audio playback (playback control, local files & Tidal) from my phone using Bubbleupnp. Ibasso should really make that a standard feature.
    I know people say you can install Lurker mod and that gives you playstore but I'm note really so keen to mess with unofficial FW since it's running very well now. Any suggestions for free DLNA apps that would give this functionality?

You can download Yalp store and install neutron or AK connect can be side load.

Neutron can use UPNP/DLNA and other network streaming like smb.

Neutron can be purchased from the website and you just link with email address via IMAP.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #9,230 of 13,478
You can download Yalp store and install neutron or AK connect can be side load.

Neutron can use UPNP/DLNA and other network streaming like smb.

Neutron can be purchased from the website and you just link with email address via IMAP.

Neutron did the trick. In the network settings you do have to enable the "Media Renderer (UPNP/DLNA)" option and then it will broadcast the DX220 on the network as a DLNA renderer. This is what's missing in most of those apps, and I've tried a lot.

Nice one man! Happy days now.

EDIT: small drop in enthusiasm... I can stream Tidal over DLNA, but can't browse files on the DX220 remotely. Perhaps there's a setting in Neutron I haven't found yet.

So for anyone wondering, I'm using BubbleUPNP on my phone and stream Tidal over DLNA to DX220 running Neutron. But I would like to be able to also control local music playback on the DX220 over DLNA.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 1:12 AM Post #9,231 of 13,478
On the new firmware, the battery is having problem. Previously, I can connect to my PC and charge to full at the same time.
Now the batter meter continuously drops when in DAC mode. Sad

No, the DX220 never charged in DAC mode, also not with previous firmware versions.
I have noticed this with an older firmware version before and asked Paul about this issue:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx220-thread-for-software-requests.906199/page-19#post-15109052

This was his reply:
If the DX charges while being plugged in it will discharge any operated device. It has been set up so it does not do this.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #9,233 of 13,478
Hey now - someone else has confirmed what I reported back here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-611#post-15322925

I am toying with rolling back to the prior FW unless they can release a quick fix for this pretty important issue...

We shall see - no report or comments back yet from @Paul - iBasso or iBasso on this specific issue.

Cheers,
Tim

I have to go up from 100 on high gain and high output on Amp 9 to 140 at least with the EQ on. Seems drastic.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #9,234 of 13,478
I would not have kept the DX229 if it wasn't for Neutron. For me DX220's lifeless without neutron. :)
What do you mean exactly "DX220's lifeless without Neutron"? You mean sound is different with Neutron? Or functionally DX220 is "lifeless" without Neutron? Due to Neutron EQ? Or what exactly?

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #9,235 of 13,478
Neutron did the trick. In the network settings you do have to enable the "Media Renderer (UPNP/DLNA)" option and then it will broadcast the DX220 on the network as a DLNA renderer. This is what's missing in most of those apps, and I've tried a lot.

Nice one man! Happy days now.

EDIT: small drop in enthusiasm... I can stream Tidal over DLNA, but can't browse files on the DX220 remotely. Perhaps there's a setting in Neutron I haven't found yet.

So for anyone wondering, I'm using BubbleUPNP on my phone and stream Tidal over DLNA to DX220 running Neutron. But I would like to be able to also control local music playback on the DX220 over DLNA.

It is in the "sources". You can add many other sources. It will scan files and folders and you can play from it. But sometimes it has lag and not responding when having poor connection.

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #9,236 of 13,478
Traveling gadgets and audio addiction

DX220EX , MangoOS
Amp8EX
IER-Z1R and stock 4.4 cables
6BCA3EC6-3F3F-47B9-A05A-B6AE3A10CCAA.jpeg

Nov 28, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #9,237 of 13,478
AMP7 or AMP8 for use with IEMs and sensitive headphones?

Nov 28, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #9,238 of 13,478
Dx220 updated a wonderful update firmware
Now, my dx220 can play with external DACs smoothly via usb connection. Hiss, noise were solved.
I am using Onkyo HF player. Dx220 connected very great with RME ADI-pro fs. Give amazing sound quality
But stopped after several seconds play with Ayre qb 192kp.
I think dx220 will be perfect if can play tidal or Spotify via usb connection as my lgv50 doing
Please open audio usb features of Dx220's OS

Thanks

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #9,239 of 13,478
I noticed a big increase battery use with the latest firmware on amp8... It sounds very very fine but the consumption increased a lot, I see that im not alone so maybe its a general issue?

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #9,240 of 13,478
Hi @Paul - iBasso, just a general feedback that the new firmware is odd on USB-PD charging. Connecting to a Anker PowerPort 5 USB-PD charger, Anker PowerPort Atom PD4, and a Lenovo USB-PD charger for thinkpad, it wouldn't show Quick Charging. This is when the battery is around 41% full.

And...

Happy Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back