DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 2, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #8,371 of 13,478
What made you chose the DX220 over say a M11 or Hiby or anything else? Just wondering what made you go for the TOTL Ibasso DAP over something cheaper if you're coming from a smartphone and that's your comparison.
You have burned in the DX220 100+ hours correct? Burned in the Aeon's for 400+? Burn in is real and can and does change the sound. If you haven't burned both the DAP and headphones in you might try that before you judge. I know the Aeon's opened a lot for me after burn in.

I chose it based on the internet reviews. I was lurking for DX200, then DX220 was released and after reading positive impressions I decided to buy it. I bought DX220 and Aeon together, my expectation was "the ultimate portable audio setup". Haven't burned in them much yet.

DX221 (2.5mm output) + Aeon is quite unimpressive so far. The sound is overly thin (thin but not bright, energetic) Of course this can be caused by the pairing being bad rather than two devices being independently bad.

Dan (MrSpeakers founder) also thinks that AMP8 pairs with Aeon much better.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #8,372 of 13,478
I chose it based on the internet reviews. I was lurking for DX200, then DX220 was released and after reading positive impressions I decided to buy it. I bought DX220 and Aeon together, my expectation was "the ultimate portable audio setup". Haven't burned in them much yet.

Hold your final judgement till after you burn them in. That means 100+ for the AMP8 and I think it's 400 for the Aeon's. It might make a difference. For me at least I had to burn in every Mr. Speaker headphones before I liked them.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #8,373 of 13,478

DX221 (2.5mm output) + Aeon is quite unimpressive so far. The sound is overly thin (thing but not bright, energetic) Of course this can be caused by the pairing being bad rather than two devices being independently bad.

Curious if you have the dx220 on high gain?

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #8,375 of 13,478
I heard a huge difference between the Sony ZX300 and the iBasso DX220.... Soundstage, definition, separation, more low and high frequecies, I hear more and more details which I never heard before.
Only days ago I discovered that in a jazz track by the National Youth Jazz Orchestra there were two different sax players....
If someone finds that the DX220 is not the ultimate portable audio player, maybe change your in-ear monitors or headphones.
With the Sennheiser IE 800 S it's umbelievable, I reached my top of the top setup and I cannot be happier now.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #8,376 of 13,478
Yes. High gain, no EQ and the stock digital filter if it makes a difference (slow roll of linear)
Weird thing is, I've tried my Ether Flow open 1.1 and they sound just fine. But it does sound better when i'm using my external amp (woo audio wa7).

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #8,377 of 13,478
I heard a huge difference between the Sony ZX300 and the iBasso DX220.... Soundstage, definition, separation, more low and high frequecies, I hear more and more details which I never heard before.
Only days ago I discovered that in a jazz track by the National Youth Jazz Orchestra there were two different sax player....
If someone finds that the DX220 is not the ultimate portable audio player, maybe change your in-ear monitors or headphones.
With the Sennheiser IE 800 S it's umbelievable, I reached my top of the top setup and I cannot be happier now.
wait until you try the dx200+amp8+tia trio :)

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #8,380 of 13,478
Audio bliss :)

ntlyYWt.jpg

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #8,382 of 13,478
Sorry, a question: does the DX220 support 512GB micro sd? Thanks
It supports the standard, which is up to 2tb, whenever they become available.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #8,384 of 13,478
Pick up any 2017+ flagship smartphone, open its music app and do some music playback operations (skipping songs, moving the timeframe slider, browsing through albums etc.). Then do the same things on DX220

DX220 isn't too bad at its own but it feels prehistoric in such comparision.

And DX220 is a "TOTL" DAP. If even its performance is that poor, how do cheapers DAPs with even lesser spesifications perform? Many cheaper DAPs have 1-2 GB RAM and less powerful CPU so are they usable at all?

I think your missing the point. IBasso aren’t manufacturing phones but music players - so judge them based on that criteria.

I like the fact that the O/S is idiosyncratic and quirky and sometimes clunky. I also like the fact that my DX209 is so musical when playing my flac files, is near to a top of the range machine and also let’s me use Spotify & other streaming services and is also very reasonably priced

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #8,385 of 13,478
I think your missing the point. IBasso aren’t manufacturing phones but music players - so judge them based on that criteria.

I like the fact that the O/S is idiosyncratic and quirky and sometimes clunky. I also like the fact that my DX209 is so musical when playing my flac files, is near to a top of the range machine and also let’s me use Spotify & other streaming services and is also very reasonably priced

No I am not missing the point. I don't expect playing PUBG Mobile at ultra settings or a 40 MP camera from a DAP. All I want is flawless music playback from audio files and audio streaming service. The music experience is severely affected when it takes a century to load the next track...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back