DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #12,782 of 13,478
25 W -and I kept filling it with him,.. that's just my guess
The fact is that some users had problems with batteries, not all, so it is either a bad series of batteries

I wish they would stop using watts to describe these fast charging units. It is very BAD physics. A basic physics lesson for people is required:

power (watts) = volts x I (current/amps)

the fast charger units have a sensing chip that negotiates the required voltage for the unit and then matches the amps as per required.

volts is important as over volts will damage electronic equipment - if your item is 9v and you use 18v be prepared for permanent damage.

current (amps) is different - you can use a charger with my amps than the rated amps for your item without fear - the item will ONLY draw the current that it needs. So a 2a item with a 5a charger will *only* draw 2a of current.

As I said, basic physics. Using power (watts) is VERY BAD and very misleading. Criminal as far as I'm concerned.

Another thing to consider is the charging tech used - you need to make sure that the fast charger uses QCD3/QCD2 or the other 2 fast charging techs that are supported by iBasso with the DX220 unit. A differing charging tech will highly likely damage your unit as charging negotiation cannot be met.

I am always wary of Samsung fast charging units, since Samsung is like Apple - they tend to use their own proprietary CRAP, rather than common standards.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #12,783 of 13,478
I see ! I have been using Apple, HTC, Anker, and both my Dx220 and Max are all well performing :p

Yes, replacing battery in Dx220 is child play. You just need to be careful upon the WiFi antenna, the plug and unplugging. With the release of dx300, the Dx220 is still getting excellent supports from Ibasso, I don’t think Dx220 is going to be fading anywhere soon. So Far, Ibasso has been very reputable with supporting existed older platforms.

Nov 20, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #12,784 of 13,478
I wish they would stop using watts to describe these fast charging units
This is the only possible way.

volts is important as over volts will damage electronic equipment
The charging controller takes care of it: it takes the power (measured in Watts) from the charger and converts it to the proper voltage and current, proper for the battery. It may take e.g. 15W as 5V/3A, or 9V/1.6A, or 12V/1.25A, or 15V/1A, and converts this into the same power (with some loss) for the battery. The less current the better for the wires and connectors, and that's why QuickCharge and Power Delivery standards were invented. The controller and the adapter negotiate the voltage and the maximum current, then the adapter provides the selected voltage, and the controller takes the required current. "Overvoltage" may only happen with a defective controller or improper software that drives the controller, and both are inside the device.

A bad charger may lead to battery damage, but only if it does not follow the standard. E.g. does not provide declared current, or the voltage is not as stable as it should be.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #12,785 of 13,478
I see ! I have been using Apple, HTC, Anker, and both my Dx220 and Max are all well performing :p

Yes, replacing battery in Dx220 is child play. You just need to be careful upon the WiFi antenna, the plug and unplugging. With the release of dx300, the Dx220 is still getting excellent supports from Ibasso, I don’t think Dx220 is going to be fading anywhere soon. So Far, Ibasso has been very reputable with supporting existed older platforms.
A good brand must maintain its high reputation in the audio community with a high level of service in all areas.
Like this thread which is a source of healthy information exchange

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #12,786 of 13,478
20201123_192655.jpg
20201123_192705.jpg
20201123_192721.jpg

At last, I can bring all my AMP so can more often do AMP shuffling....

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #12,788 of 13,478
Another thing to consider is the charging tech used
Totally agree, a usb meter is really worth the £20, takes all the gassing out of it. You just put it in line and you know the charging protocol/tech and the amps / Mwph drawn.

I have two Anker chargers and two meters in line. Easy to check when a battery is truly "full" and how long it takes to charge, even good for testing how much charge is really in your battery pack too. The two I have also allow you to step down the speed if you want to recondition a battery.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #12,789 of 13,478
sorry guys quick questions. i havent been following this thread for quite a while, but would like to run UAPP on my dx220.

question 1. i need to use the Lurker fw right?
question 2. with the most recent updates to dx220 ie official firmware updates, is the sound with tidal/mango player sufficiently decent that i would not need to even use UAPP in the first place?

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #12,791 of 13,478
I can't answer your 2nd question because I've been using UAPP since the early revs when it was definitely superior in my opinion.

Answer to first question is I'm using standard firmware, no need for lurker.

Thanks very much! Sorry, but now I need to ask, how did u get uapp onto the dx220?

Nov 25, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #12,793 of 13,478
Hi all
Dx220 as a standalone dac , does player operates with a internal battery? or uses usb power?

Nov 25, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #12,794 of 13,478
Hi all
Dx220 as a standalone dac , does player operates with a internal battery? or uses usb power?

Used in Dac mode, the DX220 drains the internal battery.
iBasso justifies this with possible damaged source devices which couldn't handle the current in case the USB power would be used. In my opinion it would be possible to handle technically. When the DX220 would be designed in a way that the current is limited inside the USB specs, it would not be a fault of the DX220 if another device could not handle the power demand and getting damaged.
Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back