DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #9,109 of 13,478
I'm mostly asking the question because many people will have the opinion that something like Amp8 is only necessary for power-hungry IEMs, and headphones. As I'm talking about using Legend X IEMs - which are not difficult to drive, would it be a waste of time using an Amp8? Should I simply stick with the DX220 stock amplification, or would there actually be any tangible benefit from using an Amp8, and it's additional power - even with an IEM like Legend X?

Amp8 doesn't just give more power, but the sound signature is quite different too especially from amp1 mkII.

AMP8 has a whole lot more body to the sound and midrange, and bigger and wider soundstage and less analytical than the stock amp. It takes the sound to a whole new level. I use u12t and it's somewhat similar to Legend X and I haven't touched AMP1 MKII after getting AMP8.

Nov 19, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #9,110 of 13,478
Amp8 doesn't just give more power, but the sound signature is quite different too especially from amp1 mkII.

AMP8 has a whole lot more body to the sound and midrange, and bigger and wider soundstage and less analytical than the stock amp. It takes the sound to a whole new level. I use u12t and it's somewhat similar to Legend X and I haven't touched AMP1 MKII after getting AMP8.
Thanks for your advice - greatly appreciated.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #9,111 of 13,478
Today I tested my bluetooth receiver for the first time. I tried to stream music from my Lg V50 to the dx220.
But the connection immediately drop after connected everytimes. And after that even if I turn off the bluetooth AMP+DAC mode, the sound is only jumping between 0 and 150. And the music is just a buzzling sound. Very weird.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #9,112 of 13,478
Today I tested my bluetooth receiver for the first time. I tried to stream music from my Lg V50 to the dx220.
But the connection immediately drop after connected everytimes. And after that even if I turn off the bluetooth AMP+DAC mode, the sound is only jumping between 0 and 150. And the music is just a buzzling sound. Very weird.

I have found the Bluetooth receiver to be disappointing at best, and barely usable at worst. I was hoping to use the device in receive mode for MQA for starters, but this isn't supported, which is not made obvious anywhere--only SBC in receive mode (not documented, but has been confirmed by Ibasso in this thread).

In addition, as you described, the DX220 drops connections at the drop of a hat, which is deeply annoying. I haven't experienced the sound-jumping you described, but the rest of it has basically invalidated BT receive for me in total (which sucks, because that was one of the main reasons I bought it).

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #9,113 of 13,478
Hi All,

Does anyone on here own - or has heard, a DX220 with Legend X? I’m wondering, as they aren’t especially power hungry, would the Amp8 be a waste of time and it be better to stick with the stock amp? Or does the extra power of Amp8 add more; control, dynamics, and overall quality - even though these IEMs don’t necessarily demand it?

@thedanadamsusa (and anyone else who's interested!)

Hi there,

I've got a Legend X on loan as it happens, and I'm A/B testing it vs the EE Nemesis.

I'm listening to the DX220 right now with the Legend X.
Unfortunately, I have an issue with using my AMP8 and thus cannot compare how the Legend X fares with it vs the default AMP1 Mk II.
I vaguely recall @PinkyPowers has written a great deal of excellent content about the Legend X, and I think to recall that he also used it with DX220?
So maybe he's got AMP8 and can give some thoughts on that?

All I can say is right now, I've listened to a test track ('Faith & Science, by Marit Larsen) just now.
I'm hearing an expansive soundstage, the thump of the drums is rendered superbly, and all the tiny details are shining :)

Based on memory, I'd suspect AMP8 is going to add a bit more depth and impact to the low end, increase the dynamics, separation and soundstage and possibly the detail levels a bit more too.
If it helps, given that the AMP8EX limited edition run is due to land soon, there might be people selling off standard (or other modded) versions of AMP8 on the For Sale threads here.
So you could probably try one at a cheaper price and sell it on if necessary.

What I *can* say is that I can't imagine you being disappointed with DX220 and Legend X, paired with the default AMP1 Mk II.
It sounds absolutely stunning, and I've listened to choral music, acoustic music, pop, hip-hop, Motown, classical and hard rock so far with it, and it's been surprisingly great with all of them :)

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #9,114 of 13,478
@thedanadamsusa (and anyone else who's interested!)

Hi there,

I've got a Legend X on loan as it happens, and I'm A/B testing it vs the EE Nemesis.

I'm listening to the DX220 right now with the Legend X.
Unfortunately, I have an issue with using my AMP8 and thus cannot compare how the Legend X fares with it vs the default AMP1 Mk II.
I vaguely recall @PinkyPowers has written a great deal of excellent content about the Legend X, and I think to recall that he also used it with DX220?
So maybe he's got AMP8 and can give some thoughts on that?

All I can say is right now, I've listened to a test track ('Faith & Science, by Marit Larsen) just now.
I'm hearing an expansive soundstage, the thump of the drums is rendered superbly, and all the tiny details are shining :)

Based on memory, I'd suspect AMP8 is going to add a bit more depth and impact to the low end, increase the dynamics, separation and soundstage and possibly the detail levels a bit more too.
If it helps, given that the AMP8EX limited edition run is due to land soon, there might be people selling off standard (or other modded) versions of AMP8 on the For Sale threads here.
So you could probably try one at a cheaper price and sell it on if necessary.

What I *can* say is that I can't imagine you being disappointed with DX220 and Legend X, paired with the default AMP1 Mk II.
It sounds absolutely stunning, and I've listened to choral music, acoustic music, pop, hip-hop, Motown, classical and hard rock so far with it, and it's been surprisingly great with all of them :)

Hi Layman1,

Thanks so much for your insights - really helpful information, and invaluable to me.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #9,115 of 13,478
I have found the Bluetooth receiver to be disappointing at best, and barely usable at worst. I was hoping to use the device in receive mode for MQA for starters, but this isn't supported, which is not made obvious anywhere--only SBC in receive mode (not documented, but has been confirmed by Ibasso in this thread).

In addition, as you described, the DX220 drops connections at the drop of a hat, which is deeply annoying. I haven't experienced the sound-jumping you described, but the rest of it has basically invalidated BT receive for me in total (which sucks, because that was one of the main reasons I bought it).

This is very disappointing - if I'm understanding your description correctly? Are you saying that using the DX220 to send music via LDAC or AptX to say, BT compatible headphones works fine, but if you are using another source component to send music via BT to the DX220, it is limited to SBC?!

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #9,116 of 13,478
I am using LDAC and Wifi and can use MQA without issue.

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #9,117 of 13,478
Hi Layman1,

Thanks so much for your insights - really helpful information, and invaluable to me.

Hey, you're totally welcome; it's what I love about Head-Fi!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out :)

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #9,118 of 13,478
This is very disappointing - if I'm understanding your description correctly? Are you saying that using the DX220 to send music via LDAC or AptX to say, BT compatible headphones works fine, but if you are using another source component to send music via BT to the DX220, it is limited to SBC?!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes. Like I said, this is confirmed elsewhere in the thread here by iBasso. SBC only in receive mode. I was very disappointed myself when I learned, and also quite surprised that this wasn't documented or covered in a single review that I had read.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #9,119 of 13,478
Hey, you're totally welcome; it's what I love about Head-Fi!
If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you out :)

Many thanks for your generosity and time. The only other question I would still be interested in hearing an answer to - when you can provide it, is what the DX220 / Legend X pair-up is like with an Amp8. Would be really keen to know how it compares/differs from stock amplification. Thanks again, and have a good one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back