DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Apr 30, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,652 of 13,478
A note on using the burn-in cable. It is there to replace headphones or IEMs sound you don't have any sound but the process of current going through the components and caps being formed etc., is accomplished. I do not advise a volume level much above a normal listening volume for an extended period of time. This causes more heat and stress to components. Of course some headphones may need a near max volume if this is required but that would not be on a 24/7 period of time. So it is best for the longevity of your DX to use a normal or a little bit above normal volume for the burning in of the DX220 or other DX model. The same is true for burning in headphones or IEMs. We have gotten a few IEMs back that were defective. Upon inspection, we could tell that they had been used at a very high volume as the coil wire was burned. Something to think about. And, Please Enjoy the Music!

Is it true that the parametric eq dramatically increases the heat? It almost sounds like hard to drive headphones may be detrimental to the DX220 due to heat. And what would happen if you use the DX220 as a USB dac and amp a lot?

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,655 of 13,478
ordered with Amp8 does anyone know what the pairing is like with Fibrae CA headphone which has a flat impedance and phase.
any one tried do they make a good match with Fibrae4 ?

Since I own both FIBAE Black and FIBAE 4, and owned both DX200 and DX200 Ti and purchased all the amps (but the DX150 specific AMP6), my bet on best synergy would be AMP1 MkII with DX220, if it’s anything alike to AMP1 Ti.

Both the Black and F4 are very smooth, the neutrality, air and articulation of AMP1 will probably help open both the warm and romantic Black and tighten the F4 bass a bit as well as make the treble a bit more sparkly up top. I’ll soon be able to check that as I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on DX220 :wink:

This being said I expect AMP8 to be quite an interesting pairing with F4, maybe even better than AMP1 MkII, with all the dynamics it packs. I am more doubtful about the Black / AMP8 pairing...

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,656 of 13,478
Since I own both FIBAE Black and FIBAE 4, and owned both DX200 and DX200 Ti and purchased all the amps (but the DX150 specific AMP6), my bet on best synergy would be AMP1 MkII with DX220, if it’s anything alike to AMP1 Ti.

Both the Black and F4 are very smooth, the neutrality, air and articulation of AMP1 will probably help open both the warm and romantic Black and tighten the F4 bass a bit as well as make the treble a bit more sparkly up top. I’ll soon be able to check that as I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on DX220 :wink:

This being said I expect AMP8 to be quite an interesting pairing with F4, maybe even better than AMP1 MkII, with all the dynamics it packs. I am more doubtful about the Black / AMP8 pairing...

so in your option you think AMP 8 should give improvement over AMP1 mkii F4 ?
I hope so as per review of AMP 8 earlier it says it has wider sound stage and more dynamic etc etc

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,657 of 13,478
so in your option you think AMP 8 should give improvement over AMP1 mkii F4 ?
I hope so as per review of AMP 8 earlier it says it has wider sound stage and more dynamic etc etc

Well, it’s always down to synergy and personal preferences, keep in mind I am talking about AMP1 Ti as reference for AMP1 MkII that comes with DX220, rather than the original AMP1 which is a different story.

Sure AMP8 with F4 will rock, probably both will rock and you’ll switch depending on music genres, mood or whatnot... I know I did that quite a bit also to explore all the facets of my IEMs.

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,658 of 13,478
Hey, I'm thinking of buying the Campfire Audio Atlas and the AMP 8 to go with my DX220. Do you guys think it would be a good match all together ?
Thanks

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,659 of 13,478
Ordered with AMP3 and the cheeky wee discount code a few pages back.

Be interesting to compare to R6 pro

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #1,661 of 13,478
I've been using DX120 and the IT01 (via single ended 3.5mm) as my every day carry setup (which is where I have been doing the bulk of my listening of late.

I won't say too much regarding the DX220 until I've burned it in more, but I tried my IT01 on the DX220, and it made them sound like a significantly higher quality IEM (and I already was VERY happy with them).
So that's good news for both items; the DAP offers (unsurprisingly) a significant and noticeable improvements over the DX120, and the IT01 are able to scale up surprisingly well on a higher level DAP. More to follow.
Regarding the burn-in, and in order to sidestep any controversy over that:
I personally feel it makes a difference, but either way, by burning in for (e.g.) 200 hours before reviewing, I can hopefully avoid any impressions being challenged due to lack of burn-in, avoid missing out on any possible benefits it might offer, and still provide an unbiased review (albeit with a slight delay) for those who couldn't care less about such things :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #1,662 of 13,478
Delete
Double post

Apr 30, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #1,664 of 13,478
So does the burn in progress mainly for the amp section or the whole device? I ask this because I have a used amp8 that I will be pairing with the dx220.
Both the amp module and the main DAC will need burn-in. It helps when you have an already matured amp module

Users who are viewing this thread

Back