DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 29, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #11,266 of 13,460
I have an iPhone. First I don't trust the ability to transfer sound quality via the lightning port adaptor+USB cable. Second, I listen to Hi Res material and cannot load enough music into iPhone memory, so for me listening to music via phone it's just an "emergency" situation.
On the go, unless I sit for 9 hours on a plane, I use DAP+Shure 846 and not Hugo 2+Stellia.
Yet, back to your point, Hi Res music via iPhone+Hugo 2+Stellia has still a tangible higher quality to my ears than iTunes stuff (or even streaming sources like Tidal or Primephonic that I use as well...I don't know for how long, since I don't perceive the Hi Res quality they are selling at quite high price - or at least not enough, compared to what I hear with my own Hi Res material).
I have to say that I'd prefer the flexibility of playlists in an iPhone rather than Mango OS that I consider very basic under that point of view and quite disappointing
I would like to get desktop dac/amp that is something that is proper improvement sq wise over dx220.

idont need 10w output but it has to pull my. Iems like Rah. Amp9 cannot do that though not enough juice.

What could you suggest an improvement?
I dont care about bt or wireless. Need proper gear

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #11,267 of 13,460
As I am expecting my amp9 to arrive in the upcoming week I wonder whether the hotswapping the amp 1 mk2 for amp 9 still brings out the volume on amp9?

I've read previously that this works but I am uncertain does it still within the latest firmware.
Also has anyone who practiced this end up with any damage to either amps or the DAP?
Ty

Mar 1, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #11,268 of 13,460
As I am expecting my amp9 to arrive in the upcoming week I wonder whether the hotswapping the amp 1 mk2 for amp 9 still brings out the volume on amp9?

I've read previously that this works but I am uncertain does it still within the latest firmware.
Also has anyone who practiced this end up with any damage to either amps or the DAP?
Ty

You always want to shut down the unit before replacing the amp. One of adverse effect of swapping the amp without shutting down
will be you get extremely high volume output while your volume level is low. You will probably hurt your eardrum before damaging your unit. :)
I had run into this situation few times...

Mar 1, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #11,269 of 13,460
You always want to shut down the unit before replacing the amp. One of adverse effect of swapping the amp without shutting down
will be you get extremely high volume output while your volume level is low. You will probably hurt your eardrum before damaging your unit. :)
I had run into this situation few times...
Received my amp9 few days ago.
Did hot swapping by accident forgetting to thaf dap is on sleep and not tured off. But nothing happened.

Comparing it to amp8 i see why some people prefer amp9. It does sound more relaxed and musical. But it lacks a bit of detail and soundstage is narrower. Again i am comparing it to amp8 ultimate mod so it is not very fair comparison.
Applying same mod would improve it significantly obviously and it would turn out a serious of kit.
I think for BA iems is would be a good pair up.
Though i think i prefer amp8 though. For my IMR Rah

Mar 1, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #11,270 of 13,460
I would like to get desktop dac/amp that is something that is proper improvement sq wise over dx220.

idont need 10w output but it has to pull my. Iems like Rah. Amp9 cannot do that though not enough juice.

What could you suggest an improvement?
I dont care about bt or wireless. Need proper gear

Well, you could create a new thread in the "introductions-help-and-recommendations" part of the forum.
Don't forget to mention your budget and which headphones you want to drive.
Your taste of music might also worth to be considered (e.g. classic vs. EDM).
When you expect a more or less helpful answer in this thread, i recommend to post this details also here.

From your post you want to drive just IEMs with it, is that right? No full size headphones?
I don't know the mentioned RAH, but ususally IEMs doesn't need that much output power, but okay - i have no AMP9 and no RAH IEMs.
If you are looking explicit for a desktop tube amp you should also mention this, your AMP8 can deliver enough power but you doesn't seems to be satisfied with the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #11,271 of 13,460
Well, you could create a new thread in the "introductions-help-and-recommendations" part of the forum.
Don't forget to mention your budget and which headphones you want to drive.
Your taste of music might also worth to be considered (e.g. classic vs. EDM).
When you expect a more or less helpful answer in this thread, i recommend to post this details also here.

From your post you want to drive just IEMs with it, is that right? No full size headphones?
I don't know the mentioned RAH, but ususally IEMs doesn't need that much output power, but okay - i have no AMP9 and no RAH IEMs.
If you are looking explicit for a desktop tube amp you should also mention this, your AMP8 can deliver enough power but you doesn't seems to be satisfied with the sound.
Well i was a bit inaccurate with explanation.
Amp 9 needs to go for medium gain. Which creates too much hiss.
I am very happy with amp8 sound as it is moded.
But i thought i would ask here where soneone actually owns dx220 and has something superior in SQ in relation to this dap instead of random suggestion.

Also forgot to add that i would like a good price/performance ratio as i dont want to pay more than 1k

Mar 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #11,272 of 13,460
Received my amp9 few days ago.
Did hot swapping by accident forgetting to thaf dap is on sleep and not tured off. But nothing happened.

Comparing it to amp8 i see why some people prefer amp9. It does sound more relaxed and musical. But it lacks a bit of detail and soundstage is narrower. Again i am comparing it to amp8 ultimate mod so it is not very fair comparison.
Applying same mod would improve it significantly obviously and it would turn out a serious of kit.
I think for BA iems is would be a good pair up.
Though i think i prefer amp8 though. For my IMR Rah

This high volume behavior usually happens going back to amp8 mostly. I do not recommend trying it but you will run into it most definitely.
I swapped a lot in the beginning for testing and I had run into this situation more than 3 times.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #11,275 of 13,460
my amp8ex fan edition will arrive in few days and I will report back, it is undergoing customs clearance

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #11,277 of 13,460
Mar 2, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #11,278 of 13,460
Additional note from my setting.

DX220 Neutron settings:
Replay Gain: off
64-bit Processing: on
Resampling: Audiophile
Automatic Gain Protection: off
Service: off
Audio Hardware:
  • DSP Effect (Device): set Filter and Output Gain for your taste.
  • Mono: off
  • Dither: off
  • Phase Inversion: off
  • Subsonic Filter: off
  • Ultrasonic Filter: off
  • Reverse Stereo: off
  • Hardware Gain: on
  • Audio Focus: on
  • Direct USB Access: off
  • DSD, DSD over PCM (DoP): on; inside Native DSD: on, Volume Control: off
  • Oversampling: off
  • Follow Source Frequency: on

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #11,279 of 13,460
iBasso dx227 + Dita Fidelity = love :))
The sound is incredibly detailed on these headphones,the best and most detailed I've heard. With amp7 the sound is a little bright,without missing the musicality. I recommend these headphones,with dx220 I make a dream pair.

By the way,what are the differences between amp7 and amp8 in sound ? Amp7 is a bit bright,the instruments and the voice in front.
DSC_0038.JPG

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #11,280 of 13,460
iBasso Audio via FaceBook 55 minutes ago: "We are making a special run of the AMP8 EX. There are a few slots left open. The order would need to be placed today as we are ordering parts to fill this run. The price is 280 USD including shipping. You can make payment using order@ibasso.com with PayPal. We will need your full name, address with post code, email address and phone number. This is for today, the date noted on this post."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back