DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 21, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #11,176 of 13,478
Would like to hear how amp8ex compares to Fidelizer Ultimate mod.
Well... I dont have access to device that being mod by him...

I believe @dhc0329 will be the right person to answer that since he has owned all the device you mention.

Different matter, there's other local modder kindly to lend me. a full Mod DX220 and AMp1Mk2 Mod.
For me, that was great experience... and I learned a lot of things from the comparison, especially song file such as DSD, 36 bit flac etc.
the point, as we crave for highest SQ, our expectations also increase, for me is quite suffering also to search a better things that is not available (or not yet available)...
here's the catch, when you alrd exp that, and get back to ur regular playlist, u will exp bothering boredom to what you had... So I just sat back and start over again, willingly... because I see a lot of senior audio lover become bore because there's no more higher mountain to climb. but also refuse to walk down...
hahaha.. what happened to me, it's supposed to be simple, but our mind make it difficult....

Well The local modder really blows my mind, but also make me realize, I am not too the level of audiophile... can be seen by my playlist which is 90% is top 40 songs, where as MP3 file already good (but flac 16 bit or WAV is preferable)

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #11,177 of 13,478
Well, I tell you what....I rarely listen to my Stax Sr-009 and KG-T2...why ? Because it is so other worldly good....nothing can get close, even w well driven hd800s. So....I listen to it less and less, that is because it makes everything boring and lifeless..... it is boring!

by listening to it less and less, I preserve my hearing and critics for other systems. I can always base my references finding from that Mountain of Stax...and before I knew it, I started modification...it is fun, but expensive =/

anyways, take it slow, enjoy the ride. The faster you arrived at the finish line, there is no more line to get to

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #11,178 of 13,478
Well... I dont have access to device that being mod by him...

I believe @dhc0329 will be the right person to answer that since he has owned all the device you mention.

Different matter, there's other local modder kindly to lend me. a full Mod DX220 and AMp1Mk2 Mod.
For me, that was great experience... and I learned a lot of things from the comparison, especially song file such as DSD, 36 bit flac etc.
the point, as we crave for highest SQ, our expectations also increase, for me is quite suffering also to search a better things that is not available (or not yet available)...
here's the catch, when you alrd exp that, and get back to ur regular playlist, u will exp bothering boredom to what you had... So I just sat back and start over again, willingly... because I see a lot of senior audio lover become bore because there's no more higher mountain to climb. but also refuse to walk down...
hahaha.. what happened to me, it's supposed to be simple, but our mind make it difficult....

Well The local modder really blows my mind, but also make me realize, I am not too the level of audiophile... can be seen by my playlist which is 90% is top 40 songs, where as MP3 file already good (but flac 16 bit or WAV is preferable)
Just trying to get more opinions. But i suppose most will go for just one of those.
I was on a brink of ordering amp8exfe. But i think amp9 will be more of a side grade

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #11,179 of 13,478
Just trying to get more opinions. But i suppose most will go for just one of those.
I was on a brink of ordering amp8exfe. But i think amp9 will be more of a side grade
Dont get me wrong... this is something u have exp urself...

I can tell you this, based on my exp, having AMP9 is a bless for me... is where I start everything from beginning... music is supposed to be musical and enjoy... with AMP9 almost all my playlist become enjoyable... off course there a hiss in certain IEM, less detail for some ppl... but hey, I cherish that...

So keep searching...
hahaha... but understand ur limit...

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #11,182 of 13,478
Is there anyone here who has already changed the battery in their dx220?

Yeah. It's a simple process, depending on how much you're used to tinkering with things. There's no technical knowledge required but one very important thing to watch out for.

1) Remove the amp module
2) You will see two tiny Philipps screws. Remove them using a jewelers driver.

3) This is the only tricky step: You will need something like this. They're really cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWPNRY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a suction cup that allows you to remove the back. Stick it to the back creating a vacuum with the lever. Here is the important part. The sucker looks like you should wrap your fingers around the handle and pull with your arm–DON'T. There are two cables attached to the back cover. When the back comes loose, you can easily exert enough force to yank out those cables. That may be alright, or you may break something. Wrap your fingers around the cup and gently work the back loose using your wrist and fingers not your arm and elbow.

4) You'll see the battery cable near the amp module side. You can reach in with a finger nail or thin non-conductive tool and work the connector loose from the housing. Note the polarity–where the red and black wires are.
5) Carefully flip the back over. There is still another thin cable attached on the other side. This is the wifi antenna wire. You can remove it, but it may be a pain to reconnect. Just leave it, but make sure there is no strain on it with the back flipped over. I just leave the suction cup on to brace the back so there is some slack.
6) The battery is taped to the back cover. Gently but firmly pry it off with your fingers or a plastic spudger. Stick the new battery in the same place. If your battery didn't come with the self-adhesive strips, honestly, double stick tape will work just fine.
7) Flip the back cover back over the unit and reattach the connector. The bare contact side of the connector should be facing up. (The red wire is the positive line and if you have a magnifying glass you can see tiny markings on the circuit board telling you negative and positive.) Make sure the connector is pushed in all the way.
8) Bend the wires out of the way and close up the case. It may take a little force but take it slow and careful.
9) Put the two tiny screws back and reinsert the amp module.

I over-explained in case you're not used to tinkering and thought it would be better to be thorough than have surprises. But, it really is an easy process.

Good luck!

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #11,183 of 13,478
Yeah. It's a simple process, depending on how much you're used to tinkering with things. There's no technical knowledge required but one very important thing to watch out for.

1) Remove the amp module

3) This is the only tricky step: You will need something like this. They're really cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWPNRY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is a suction cup that allows you to remove the back. Stick it to the back creating a vacuum with the lever. Here is the important part. The sucker looks like you should wrap your fingers around the handle and pull with your arm–DON'T. There are two cables attached to the back cover. When the back comes loose, you can easily exert enough force to yank out those cables. That may be alright, or you may break something. Wrap your fingers around the cup and gently work the back loose using your wrist and fingers not your arm and elbow.

4) You'll see the battery cable near the amp module side. You can reach in with a finger nail or thin non-conductive tool and work the connector loose from the housing. Note the polarity–where the red and black wires are.
5) Carefully flip the back over. There is still another thin cable attached on the other side. This is the wifi antenna wire. You can remove it, but it may be a pain to reconnect. Just leave it, but make sure there is no strain on it with the back flipped over. I just leave the suction cup on to brace the back so there is some slack.
6) The battery is taped to the back cover. Gently but firmly pry it off with your fingers or a plastic spudger. Stick the new battery in the same place. If your battery didn't come with the self-adhesive strips, honestly, double stick tape will work just fine.
7) Flip the back cover back over the unit and reattach the connector. The bare contact side of the connector should be facing up. (The red wire is the positive line and if you have a magnifying glass you can see tiny markings on the circuit board telling you negative and positive.) Make sure the connector is pushed in all the way.
8) Bend the wires out of the way and close up the case. It may take a little force but take it slow and careful.

I over-explained in case you're not used to tinkering and thought it would be better to be thorough than have surprises. But, it really is an easy process.

Good luck!
Kudos sir - now this is what I mean by constructive contributions!

Cheers,
Tim

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #11,184 of 13,478

1) Remove the amp module

Good luck!

Nice guide thx and And you wouldn't happen to have a video by any chance ha ha ha

Feb 21, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #11,185 of 13,478
Nice guide thx and And you wouldn't happen to have a video by any chance ha ha ha

Once you're doing it, you'll see how simple it is. Afterwards you'll have that small bump of satisfaction like when you've changed your own tire, only this is way easier.

The issue now is getting the batteries given all that is happening with the Coronovirus. However, iBasso is the–best–company for support and I can't say enough good things about Paul. The factory has reopened and everyone at iBasso is healthy and safe. Still, be patient as they ramp back up and deal with everything including global shipping delays out of their control.

Also, changing regulations make it difficult to ship batteries internationally. If you're in North America, iBasso has a possible Stateside supply. @Paul - iBasso can give you the details.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #11,187 of 13,478
Could we hope to get Graphene based batteries for our dx220's?

Feb 22, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #11,189 of 13,478
Will the newer units currently at iBasso's official dealers have a correctly functioning battery? Reminds me of the Questyle QP1R issue, where the battery indicator would show inaccurate readings. Ended up with a mass recall with owners having to send their units back to China.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #11,190 of 13,478
Will the newer units currently at iBasso's official dealers have a correctly functioning battery? Reminds me of the Questyle QP1R issue, where the battery indicator would show inaccurate readings. Ended up with a mass recall with owners having to send their units back to China.
I bought mine from an offical dealer just a month ago. The unit was new because it was not in stock, they supplied it from from iBasso
The battery lasts 3-5 hours when listening to 16/44.1 (Wifi and everything off) . If someone listens to higher sample rate PCM or DSD it should lasts even less. 2-3 hours ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back