DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 15, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #11,011 of 13,460
Hey guys, it was not meant to "DX220 is horrible trash " It doesn't sound terrible or broken. But just brighter than neutral. Like +3 dB appplied all the way above 1kHz.

Maybe the synergy is not there with Focal Elegia / Clear headphones.

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #11,012 of 13,460
Hey guys, it was not meant to "DX220 is horrible trash " It doesn't sound terrible or broken. But just brighter than neutral. Like +3 dB appplied all the way above 1kHz.

No offence but in most of your comments dx220 does't seems to suit you.Maybe is time to try something different.

Feb 15, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #11,013 of 13,460

oh man had i known u had these headphones, i would never rec any dap for those headphones, those have a bad FR to begin with and r metallic sounding be design. its known focal r bright even with totl dac/amps. i totally disliked my focal clear even on totl desktop gear. i think those headphones need tube desktop amps/dac. And my advise still there is no dap that is great with headphones, for headphones you will benefit more from desktop setups period

do not confuse between being able to push headphones to loud volumes on daps and between pushing a headphone properly using desktop gears. With daps even if you get loud volumes on headphones most of the time the sound quality starts to get wanky , this is why I only use desktop setups with my headphones, no matter how easy they are to drive

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #11,015 of 13,460
did he try amp9, if not then try that

mojo is a warm source so even with amp9 the mojo is warmer

Feb 15, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #11,017 of 13,460
oh man had i known u had these headphones, i would never rec any dap for those headphones, those have a bad FR to begin with and r metallic sounding be design. its known focal r bright even with totl dac/amps. i totally disliked my focal clear even on totl desktop gear. i think those headphones need tube desktop amps/dac. And my advise still there is no dap that is great with headphones, for headphones you will benefit more from desktop setups period

do not confuse between being able to push headphones to loud volumes on daps and between pushing a headphone properly using desktop gears. With daps even if you get loud volumes on headphones most of the time the sound quality starts to get wanky , this is why I only use desktop setups with my headphones, no matter how easy they are to drive
+1

recently was surprise how Focal Elear become properly drive by AMP...
my NX4DSD manage to drive better then DX220 AMP8EX. not interm of loudness...

Actually he did mention Elegia a couple page behind... been doing a small quest... for me, i prefer using portable AMP then desktop, due to my usage and mobile activity (althought using open Headphone alrd not a proper usage)... alrd shorten to ifi micro idsd BL, Xduoo XD05+ & NX4DSD... seem the last one will be my pairing, one of the big factor is because Elear fragile driver, must be in the right amount of power to drive.

regarding pairing with AMP9 for focal, it is good idea... i like it also, but still need more juice a bit IMO...
20200215_200537.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #11,018 of 13,460
First time posting long time reader... not to sound super ignorant but can i use the AMP8 with unbalanced IEMs ( UE Live @10ohm)?
Thanks in advance

Welcome as an active member! :)
Amp8 is balanced only (4.4mm balanced
Pentaconn socket)
If you are looking for something similar for unbalanced headphones, Amp7 is for you.
It has also a discrete layout like Amp8 and similar specs.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #11,019 of 13,460
First time posting long time reader... not to sound super ignorant but can i use the AMP8 with unbalanced IEMs ( UE Live @10ohm)?
Thanks in advance

No, cannot.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #11,020 of 13,460
The thing is that he is coming off Mojo and smartphones....not desktop !!! Lol

Yes. I am not coming from $10,000 destkop amps, I come from smartphone and $400 Mojo. So DX220 should be an impressive step up.

I am wearing my Focal Elegia. Playing the exact same audio file from DX220 and my S10, going back and forth between them doing A/B

They sound different for sure. But does DX220 sound actually better ? Does it make listening to music more fun ? Well... not really

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #11,021 of 13,460
Yes. I am not coming from $10,000 destkop amps, I come from smartphone and $400 Mojo. So DX220 should be an impressive step up.

I am wearing my Focal Elegia. Playing the exact same audio file from DX220 and my S10, going back and forth between them doing A/B

They sound different for sure. But does DX220 sound actually better ? Does it make listening to music more fun ? Well... not really
Well, dont get the others intentions wrong...
If you felt DX220 is not much better, well you may be not wrong... you may move along...
actually I envy you... I wanted to get back to listening to Spotify from my Smartphone already make my days...

Seems my ear have broken, or the expectation of having more or prolong eargasm...
in time our ear will adjust and get used too it, and you will crave for more...

And I hate too admit, I addicted to it...

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #11,022 of 13,460

But what the people were saying just now is that for headphones such as the Focal Elegia, a desktop is really the way to get the best sound out of them, and this is unlikely to be achieved with any DAP or smartphone (not sure about the EX AMP editions). So the fact that you claim you don't hear an impressive step up from the Mojo (which is an excellent source that also punches above its price point), is not necessarily anything negative about the DX220.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #11,024 of 13,460
Well, dont get the others intentions wrong...
If you felt DX220 is not much better, well you may be not wrong... you may move along...
actually I envy you... I wanted to get back to listening to Spotify from my Smartphone already make my days...

Seems my ear have broken, or the expectation of having more or prolong eargasm...
in time our ear will adjust and get used too it, and you will crave for more...

And I hate too admit, I addicted to it...

yes, same here...I am jealous at anyone who is simply satisfied by smartphones and earsbud....or even Mojo....

Because, I am freaking tired of my “inner voices” which keeps saying this is wrong and that is lacking....and etc....my god!!! The Amp8EX is a sweet-result from that, but I am tired .... and my pocket is...empty

Thanks for the welcome and details. ... I only need 10 more posts before i can post my AMP8EX-FE for sale in the classified section. :)

Just express your intention here, and it should go pretty fast :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back