DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 22, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #8,956 of 13,460
I wonder if the new Max will drive HD800 to a satisfying level. Probably will introduce more hiss for sensitive IEMs. It's hard to do well at everything.

Its hard to be max out on all segments but real high end gear can do it.

Dx220max is big in dimensions I hope they can do it to!
Or just get a nice amp for dx228 and you got it!
Maybe wa11 see

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #8,957 of 13,460
Folks with amp8+it04:

Whats your vol. level+gain setting?

I'm @ 50 with med gains?

I use my IT04's on high gain at around 37

I wonder if the new Max will drive HD800 to a satisfying level. Probably will introduce more hiss for sensitive IEMs. It's hard to do well at everything.

If the new MAX? The DX220 itself with AMP8 not only drives the HD800 but also the HD820 beautifully. With the EX mods...I can't even imagine how good.

Oct 22, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #8,958 of 13,460
I use my IT04's on high gain at around 37

If the new MAX? The DX220 itself with AMP8 not only drives the HD800 but also the HD820 beautifully. With the EX mods...I can't even imagine how good.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally just find it underwhelming. With dx220 and amp8, you may be getting 50% of HD800's full potential. I ordered the amp8ex. Maybe it will be a significant upgrade.

Oct 23, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #8,959 of 13,460
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally just find it underwhelming. With dx220 and amp8, you may be getting 50% of HD800's full potential. I ordered the amp8ex. Maybe it will be a significant upgrade.

I disagree. While at the AXPONA audio show in Chicago this year I walked over to the Sennheiser booth with the DX228 (stock). Walter, the Senn rep for these kinds of shows was like...there's no way that thing can drive the HD800's...none the less the HD820's.

He listened to 3 tracks, 3 different genres. He looked at me and another guy there and was like, "Holy crap! I can't believe this." There are tons of HD800 owners who are more than happy with the pairing.

But everyone's ears are different.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #8,963 of 13,460
I disagree. While at the AXPONA audio show in Chicago this year I walked over to the Sennheiser booth with the DX228 (stock). Walter, the Senn rep for these kinds of shows was like...there's no way that thing can drive the HD800's...none the less the HD820's.

He listened to 3 tracks, 3 different genres. He looked at me and another guy there and was like, "Holy crap! I can't believe this." There are tons of HD800 owners who are more than happy with the pairing.

But everyone's ears are different.

I tend to be conservative with my enthusiasm with a piece of gear if I'm giving recommendations to others since we influence purchase decisions. I bought a 4.4mm cable for HD800 because others enjoyed the combo. I can see many who enjoy pairing HD800 with Dx228. It is loud enough, but some signs of the DX228 being underpowered is the loss of clarity, separation and soundstage when compared to a desktop setup.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #8,964 of 13,460
I tend to be conservative with my enthusiasm with a piece of gear if I'm giving recommendations to others since we influence purchase decisions. I bought a 4.4mm cable for HD800 because others enjoyed the combo. I can see many who enjoy pairing HD800 with Dx228. It is loud enough, but some signs of the DX228 being underpowered is the loss of clarity, separation and soundstage when compared to a desktop setup.

That's fair, everyone's ears are different. I've just never heard it said that AMP8 is in any way underpowered for the HD800's. The AMP8 stock powered my planar magnetic headphones great, and the EX mod from Vince makes them even more amazing. Best of luck to you.

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #8,965 of 13,460

Are you basing your comparison with your Naim in your signature? With built-in BB DAC?

I'm still warming up to my Amp8 but I did try my HD800. I thought the DX228 has the traits of a good balanced solid state amp but it does seem to slightly fall behind my GSX Mk2. It's hard to say as I have not tested the line out of Amp1mk2 to feed the GSX. Instead, I'm using DX220 as the transport into Yggy A2 -> GSX. Doing my best to separate the DAC difference, I feel that GSX outperforms with better grip and reproducing transients of various instruments. There is a larger tonal difference from the DACs that make certain music better for each. With that note, in my opinion, HD800 of DX228 is actually pretty good, maybe off by a few % in terms of amping capability.

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #8,966 of 13,460
Are you basing your comparison with your Naim in your signature? With built-in BB DAC?

I'm still warming up to my Amp8 but I did try my HD800. I thought the DX228 has the traits of a good balanced solid state amp but it does seem to slightly fall behind my GSX Mk2. It's hard to say as I have not tested the line out of Amp1mk2 to feed the GSX. Instead, I'm using DX220 as the transport into Yggy A2 -> GSX. Doing my best to separate the DAC difference, I feel that GSX outperforms with better grip and reproducing transients of various instruments. There is a larger tonal difference from the DACs that make certain music better for each. With that note, in my opinion, HD800 of DX228 is actually pretty good, maybe off by a few % in terms of amping capability.

with due respect, GSX MKII is high-end desktop amps among high-end. If DX228 can replace any high-end desktop, then I can tell you for sure that everyone else would have gone bankrupt, Sony first...then Chord....and others. There are a fine line between a Very small and portable player vs Desktop Riggs. As soon as you confuse between them, then I would advise to sell all portable, and go with real desktop....hell....get a stereos instead LOL

I agree with your finding here, and the reason why I said the dx228 is fine driving hd800S

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #8,967 of 13,460
with due respect, GSX MKII is high-end desktop amps among high-end. If DX228 can replace any high-end desktop, then I can tell you for sure that everyone else would have gone bankrupt, Sony first...then Chord....and others. There are a fine line between a Very small and portable player vs Desktop Riggs. As soon as you confuse between them, then I would advise to sell all portable, and go with real desktop....hell....get a stereos instead LOL

I agree with your finding here, and the reason why I said the dx228 is fine driving hd800S

I wouldn’t expect a DAP to offer up the same performance like a high-performance dedicated desk or rack unit.

Connected my earphones to the PWD and there was a noticeable performance difference. The DX220 still sound quite good though as a DAP.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #8,968 of 13,460

That's for sure! All I was saying was that DX228 isn't 50% bad compared to GSX Mk2 driving HD800. I enjoy listening from both :)

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #8,969 of 13,460
That's for sure! All I was saying was that DX228 isn't 50% bad compared to GSX Mk2 driving HD800. I enjoy listening from both :)

I think we are trying to discuss 2 topics.
1. Does DX228 drive HD800 or other full-sized cans to enjoyable level? Most say "yes." No arguing about that.
2. Does DX228 perform similarly to a good-excellent desktop setup where you are happy to sell your desktop setup? I personally don't think they are close. Lets not use percentage, but I think there are few tiers of SQ differences.

The good thing is that we all got the DX220 to be an excellent portable. We all bought HD800 because it's one of the best headphones even in 2019. We just happen to plug HD800 into the DX220 because they are both available. :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #8,970 of 13,460
I think we are trying to discuss 2 topics.
1. Does DX228 drive HD800 or other full-sized cans to enjoyable level? Most say "yes." No arguing about that.
2. Does DX228 perform similarly to a good-excellent desktop setup where you are happy to sell your desktop setup? I personally don't think they are close. Lets not use percentage, but I think there are few tiers of SQ differences.

The good thing is that we all got the DX220 to be an excellent portable. We all bought HD800 because it's one of the best headphones even in 2019. We just happen to plug HD800 into the DX220 because they are both available. :smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

Yep not selling my desktop :) Thanks for the summary! Back to enjoying and imagine what the EX mod brings :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back