DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #8,911 of 13,478
So that I understand. If you have an earphone that is cabled up with a SE connection there is no adapter on the market that will make it balanced? You have to buy a balanced cable but if your cable is already balanced you can buy an adapter that will make it SE to a DAP?
Single ended has the grounds to a common point. Balanced, has what would be grounds, using the negative voltage. What some adapters do is the take the balanced output to an adapter and then use resistors on the negative side to tie them to ground. With the resistors, they keep the negative side of the amp from seeing a direct to ground but I would never use these anyway. Use the right cable for the amp.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #8,912 of 13,478
So that I understand. If you have an earphone that is cabled up with a SE connection there is no adapter on the market that will make it balanced? You have to buy a balanced cable but if your cable is already balanced you can buy an adapter that will make it SE to a DAP?

You are absolutely correct.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #8,913 of 13,478
You can go Balanced to SE, you can't go SE to Balanced as you'll damage the AMP. So unless you're headphones are balanced this AMP isn't for you.

“ so unless your headphones aren’t balanced this AMP isn’t for you. ........That’s what I don’t understand.

1. You can go from Balanced to SE - by getting an adaptor from balanced 4.4 to SE 3.5

2. Attach your headphones using your 3.5 normal connector.

So why can’t I do that ? (BTW i understand that I won’t be hearing a balanced output , but that doesn’t worry me

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #8,914 of 13,478
That adapter doesn't break the cardinal rule of converting single-ended to balanced.

Here's the lowdown:

DAP/Single Ended output (TRS connector) > Adapter > Balanced Headphone Cable = OK.

DAP/Balanced output (TRRS connector) > Anything other than balanced (i.e. Single-ended TRS)... adapter/headphone/etc. = NOT OK. Will damage amp.

Rule of thumb: If the output is Balanced (4 conductor), it must stay balanced all the way to the headphone. You MUST NOT short the ground leads.

I am not looking to go SE to balanced.

So is the IBasso 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter built to work with a Balanced output that isn’t a Balanced - 4 conductor

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #8,915 of 13,478
I am not looking to go SE to balanced.

So is the IBasso 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter built to work with a Balanced output that isn’t a Balanced - 4 conductor

???
I think there's some confusion here: either on my part, your part, or both...

There isn't any "balanced output that isn't a....4-conductor". Balanced means separate and isolated ground leads for each channel, necessitating 4 conductors.

The adapter you linked to is not for a "balanced output". It's for connecting headphones with a balanced cable to a DAP with a single-ended output (look at the male plug... 3 contact points means single-ended, or non-balanced). If you're looking to take a balanced output (say from the iBasso Amp8) and adapt it to headphones with a single-ended cable, that's a big no-no. And, you probably won't find an adapter to do it.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #8,916 of 13,478
391AE71F-23F0-46A8-A682-B4D5E621A4B6.jpeg

iBasso DX220, amp8 and Meze Rai Penta

*waiting for Godot, aka Amp8eX

:)

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #8,918 of 13,478
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #8,919 of 13,478
???

The adapter you linked to is not for a "balanced output". It's for connecting headphones with a balanced cable to a DAP with a single-ended output (look at the male plug... 3 contact points means single-ended, or non-balanced). If you're looking to take a balanced output (say from the iBasso Amp8) and adapt it to headphones with a single-ended cable, that's a big no-no. And, you probably won't find an adapter to do it.

My bad. I incorrectly assumed it was for connecting to SE headphones
???

There isn't any "balanced output that isn't a....4-conductor". Balanced means separate and isolated ground leads for each channel, necessitating 4 conductors.

Thanks for the update. I was indeed looking to put my single ended cable from my various headphones into an adaptor but I will take your and Whitigir’s earlier advice and sadly not buy the Amp8-EX.

It is confusing though. And even on Amazon there appears to be an adaptor that says it is possible and seemingly OK to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-Adapter-NW-WM1A-Gold/dp/B075165H2M

In which they quote this :

• 4.4 mm M to 3.5 mm F convert adapter lets your 4.4mm output devices work with 3.5mm NOT ONLY balanced BUT ALSO the stereo headphones, earphones.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #8,920 of 13,478

Thanks for the update. I was indeed looking to put my single ended cable from my various headphones into an adaptor but I will take your and Whitigir’s earlier advice and sadly not buy the Amp8-EX.

It is confusing though. And even on Amazon there appears to be an adaptor that says it is possible and seemingly OK to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-Adapter-NW-WM1A-Gold/dp/B075165H2M

• 4.4 mm M to 3.5 mm F convert adapter lets your 4.4mm output devices work with 3.5mm NOT ONLY balanced BUT ALSO the stereo headphones, earphones.

I wouldn't recommend that adapter. Imo (from experience), Geekria might be another word for garbage. Search long enough and you'll find someone selling exactly what you're looking for even if it doesn't work 100% (or could cause damage over time; no cheap $15 adapter is worth risking expensive gear).

Converting balanced to single-ended can be confusing but just keep in mind that it only works (safely) one way because you need an equal or greater number of channels when connecting to an output. Since a balanced headphone out uses 4 signals (hence TRRS or 4-pole), connecting a 3-pole TRS to it leaves 1 output signal with nowhere to go but back into the player (imagine an endless, looping short circuit within your DAP. How long before something goes wrong?). Afaik, no adapter or converter can fully account for that rogue signal nor remedy such an imbalance.

On the other hand, adapting balanced headphones to work with a single-ended player is possible because 4 is greater than 3. The headphone and cable (with the right adapter of course) would have more than enough channels for the signal.

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #8,921 of 13,478
I wouldn't recommend that adapter. Imo (from experience), Geekria might be another word for garbage. Search long enough and you'll find someone selling exactly what you're looking for even if it doesn't work 100% (or could cause damage over time; no cheap $15 adapter is worth risking expensive gear).

Converting balanced to single-ended can be confusing but just keep in mind that it only works (safely) one way because you need an equal or greater number of channels when connecting to an output. Since a balanced headphone out uses 4 signals (hence TRRS or 4-pole), connecting a 3-pole TRS to it leaves 1 output signal with nowhere to go but back into the player (imagine an endless, looping short circuit within your DAP. How long before something goes wrong?). Afaik, no adapter or converter can fully account for that rogue signal nor remedy such an imbalance.

On the other hand, adapting balanced headphones to work with a single-ended player is possible because 4 is greater than 3. The headphone and cable (with the right adapter of course) would have more than enough channels for the signal.

Thanks for the further explanation - very clear and helpful. Love your first paragraph- so true

Oct 21, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #8,923 of 13,478

What adds to the confusion is 3.5mm connectors can come SE or Balanced. Why they designed it that way I’ll never know.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #8,924 of 13,478

Users who are viewing this thread

Back