DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 27, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #7,040 of 13,478
why usb-c I find it increasing seem like getting a device to connect is like lottery

I have 3 cables and not a single one works, why can't they can't by build these to spec I don't understand. Makes me hate USB-C very frustrating experience at least standard USB 2.0 just worked :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #7,042 of 13,478
after playing with cable I got it to connect as DAC just once then it disconnected again.
Why is this so painful ? Fiio F5 was flawless as connecting as DAC

I need to use DAC at work and find it very convenient at home to play tidal, but it just won't connect given the cable I have at home, I don't mind purchasing cables but it seem like a hit & miss.
@Paul - iBasso how can I get a reliable DAC connection ? thanks

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #7,044 of 13,478
Same here. I had amp8W (modified) that still can’t beat the amp9 on DX220 to my ears.
I just found out the SQ is exceptional lush and dynamic with Angie II/PW05. :smile_phones:
That can be explained from what I know. The Tantalum capacitors on Amp8 are all AXV, and “W” modifications were originally developed to tame the sub bass to mid bass incoherences, and while I was there I just made sure to improve the timbres by a little more, so every Tantalum still remains to be AXV

Now, the EX is different, and from my experiences, the ROH capacitors and POS capacitors on the Amp9 is an upgrades to the AXV, from technical perspective to even sound performances that can be observed. I did say the Amp9 is the best of any Stock amp modules come out of the boxes, musical, yet sweet and detailed trebles, with all preferences aside. I also did mention that I didn’t feel like to perform EX modifications, and opened up the Amp9 later on to have found upgraded high quality components together with even ECHU capacitors and high quality resistors.

The Amp9 has the best component build of any module I have seen. Period, sound quality is also the best tuned to Ibasso house sound with the recent direction of going toward musicality with DX220 as a platform. So for any stock module that is untouched, the Amp9 is hard to beat. The hiss with sensitive iems may be an issues, and it definitely hiss with Amp8 hotswap

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #7,045 of 13,478
Same here. I had amp8W (modified) that still can’t beat the amp9 on DX220 to my ears.
I just found out the SQ is exceptional lush and dynamic with Angie II/PW05. :smile_phones:

Also move from AMP8W to AMP9 :D

Amp9 is permanently on for me, not intending to buy the Amp8, haha. IER-Z1R sounds so heavenly with the Amp9

Can AMP9 drive Z1R properly? It seems that Z1R is kinda power-hungry according to some Headfi-ers.

Jul 27, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #7,046 of 13,478
Also move from AMP8W to AMP9 :D

Can AMP9 drive Z1R properly? It seems that Z1R is kinda power-hungry according to some Headfi-ers.

Sure it can, but at rather high volume though. I'm listening at 125-130 on high gain. It is indeed power hungry but oh so good with Amp9

I tried the z1r with amp8 and thought that my ear drums would pierce, the highs are too energetic for me. It is a powerful amp no doubt, but nowhere as musical and organic as amp9 which makes music enjoyable :)

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #7,047 of 13,478
after playing with cable I got it to connect as DAC just once then it disconnected again.
Why is this so painful ? Fiio F5 was flawless as connecting as DAC

I need to use DAC at work and find it very convenient at home to play tidal, but it just won't connect given the cable I have at home, I don't mind purchasing cables but it seem like a hit & miss.
@Paul - iBasso how can I get a reliable DAC connection ? thanks

Have you tried a different port and a different computer? I am trying to figure this out. We have multiple computers here and 2 Mac computers (Android File Transfer installed). They work but I admit that USB C cables are more touchy than the USB cable connections that were previously used. Some USB C cables will work great and some seem to have more of a connection problem.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #7,048 of 13,478
Sure it can, but at rather high volume though. I'm listening at 125-130 on high gain. It is indeed power hungry but oh so good with Amp9

I tried the z1r with amp8 and thought that my ear drums would pierce, the highs are too energetic for me. It is a powerful amp no doubt, but nowhere as musical and organic as amp9 which makes music enjoyable :)
I think he meant the Z1R headphone, not the IEM. I would be surprised if the AMP9 could power a large diameter Z1R headphone. Did you also mean the Z1R headphone? If so, I guess that also depends on preferred playback volume and the type of music you listen to as that has an impact as well. For instance, my average non-peak playback volume is probably around 85-90db so well driven for me might mean something different than for somebody who listens more quietly.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #7,049 of 13,478
Have you tried a different port and a different computer? I am trying to figure this out. We have multiple computers here and 2 Mac computers (Android File Transfer installed). They work but I admit that USB C cables are more touchy than the USB cable connections that were previously used. Some USB C cables will work great and some seem to have more of a connection problem.
I had this issue too.
I had to re-installed dac driver a few times, and finally I got it work somehow.

Here are a few hints that I think could help:

1. turn DX220 to dac mode & connect to laptop
2. install driver
I think this is important.
PC will ask to reboot to complete the installation, then it will say you
need to unplug and reconnect your DX220 to have it work.

Now that I have DAC mode working, I could not figure out
how to connect dx220 as USB storage.
In non-dac mode, my pc complain that the usb device is unknown
(port reset failed)??

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #7,050 of 13,478
Just tested the DX220 with an OTG cable to the iFi Micro iDSD and sadly no digital audio output in either Mango/Android or HiBy/Android. Works fine with the R6 Pro and N6ii.
That is sad, since I was planning to get iFi Micro iDSD as external dac/amp
I don't know why it connects Q5 but not ifi Micro?

Is there setting for this purpose, or it is just plug and play?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back