DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 24, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #6,976 of 13,460
My 1st tape player was a cheap portable with no auto reverse! Had to flip cassettes over and fast-forward in order to 'reverse.' We're a long way from those days......

It’s funny how we did what we had to do get things to “work”. Having younger sibling stand and hold TV antenna for better reception, adding a bit of aluminum foil to the end of radio antenna, setting tv dial in between to channels, recording off the radio at just the right moment. Yeah, I’d say your right.

Jul 24, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #6,977 of 13,460
It’s funny how we did what we had to do get things to “work”. Having younger sibling stand and hold TV antenna for better reception, adding a bit of aluminum foil to the end of radio antenna, setting tv dial in between to channels, recording off the radio at just the right moment. Yeah, I’d say your right.

Yeah lol that's what I meant before when I wrote aluminum bunny ears...I should have said aluminum "foil" bunny ears lol. I remember our first color tv lol. I had to move the ears just right or you lost the color blue! LOL

Jul 24, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #6,978 of 13,460
Just heard from Paul. It's going to be "a while" before the Max is ready for release guys. Enjoy what you have because it could be a long wait.
They better be hurry up as the Kann Cube is already selling like hot cakes, and people is waiting on for another similar device that has 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm like Cube ! They may change their mind if it takes too long! Lol!

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #6,979 of 13,460
My AMP9 got quieter with use. With regular tubes, I have had some that got quite and some noisier but normally, as they burn in, they got quiet. it varies. I had some waterfall hiss to begin with but now none. It also depends of course on what you are listening with. I use the IT04 and have no problem and the Focal Stellia a lot (which it drives with ease and the sound is excellent, reminds me of the Manley Absolute amp I have).

I roll tubes on the stereo system at home and don’t have that experience. I had a noisy pair of valves/tubes and they stayed noisy.

But to my mind this is a different issue which is an impedance issue and I don’t see why this should get better over time.

As it happens , I hear no hiss with my Shute SE846s and I love the sound of the AMP9.

Just been listening to the Doors “Weird scones inside the gold mines” and the music sounds so analog, I could be playing the original LP !

Jul 25, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #6,980 of 13,460
Wonder what they'll say about this generation of electronics 25-40 years from now.
in 25-40 years they will never now the beauty of a movie like "Arsenic and Old lace" for example:L3000:

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #6,981 of 13,460
I listened to DX209Ti. SQ was not same as DX229 that I much prefer as analog SQ.

..at the point AMP9 is not that "good" on DX200, or just that you preferred the sound of it on DX220?

i guess differences are there, otherwise there won't be two DAPs on the market, question is is it worthy to move on the AMP9 with DX200?

Jul 25, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #6,982 of 13,460
..at the point AMP9 is not that "good" on DX200, or just that you preferred the sound of it on DX220?

i guess differences are there, otherwise there won't be two DAPs on the market, question is is it worthy to move on the AMP9 with DX200?

I remember there are benefits of DX220 having blacker background, smoother UI, but i think overall tonality is the same with DX200 considering both DAPs having the same DACs and AMP module. Currently using a DX209 because a pre-owned DX200 nowadays is much more approachable.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #6,983 of 13,460
Jul 25, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #6,985 of 13,460
got it :D (and playing the same game at the moment :D)

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #6,986 of 13,460
It also had hisses Roflmao ! And the priceless smacking to make it work probably :D

What ! are you saying we should not be smacking our kit up now.... I thought that was still a technical fix for most issues. The skill is in knowing how hard to smack....
Honest I did not abuse my DX220.. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #6,987 of 13,460

To me it is worth to have DX229 even though DX209Ti sounds thicker and darker.

What ! are you saying we should not be smacking our kit up now.... I thought that was still a technical fix for most issues. The skill is in knowing how hard to smack....
Honest I did not abuse my DX220.. :L3000:

Not for my DX220 which seems not to like Lurker add-on even though how hard I tried to update to it. :unamused:

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #6,988 of 13,460
....even though DX209Ti sounds thicker and darker.

Not to me, but then I’ve paired DX200Ti / Amp 9 with Noble Katana.

I think getting best sounds to one’s ears is all about the synergy of the three. Dap with good DAC conversion in, then amp or iem/ phones to one’s choice. Usually a bright iem not good with explicit amp, a warm iem not best with a warm amp. No rights and wrongs, every ear different, but iBasso 220/200/Ti is a great starting point, amp to preference, iem to preference, solid. Never had so much choice, so easy.

Going back to the nostalgia, no one else have minidisc? All my cassettes were re-imaged onto minidiscs. A gold Sony portable and a double-mains deck for compilations. And then 3 years later ...... all moved onto RCDs for input into PC audio!

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #6,989 of 13,460
Yeah lol that's what I meant before when I wrote aluminum bunny ears...I should have said aluminum "foil" bunny ears lol. I remember our first color tv lol. I had to move the ears just right or you lost the color blue! LOL
Not to me, but then I’ve paired DX200Ti / Amp 9 with Noble Katana.

I think getting best sounds to one’s ears is all about the synergy of the three. Dap with good DAC conversion in, then amp or iem/ phones to one’s choice. Usually a bright iem not good with explicit amp, a warm iem not best with a warm amp. No rights and wrongs, every ear different, but iBasso 220/200/Ti is a great starting point, amp to preference, iem to preference, solid. Never had so much choice, so easy.

Going back to the nostalgia, no one else have minidisc? All my cassettes were re-imaged onto minidiscs. A gold Sony portable and a double-mains deck for compilations. And then 3 years later ...... all moved onto RCDs for input into PC audio!

Don’t forget the five disc CD carousel! Had the Sony MiniDisc in the days of Kazaa and Morpheus. Loved it. Bought a mini microphone for mine and used it to record lectures in college. After a number of years, left it behind for the Apple iPod mini.

Jul 25, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6,990 of 13,460
Don’t forget the five disc CD carousel! Had the Sony MiniDisc in the days of Kazaa and Morpheus. Loved it. Bought a mini microphone for mine and used it to record lectures in college. After a number of years, left it behind for the Apple iPod mini.

For all of you taking this little trip through audio nostalgia, you gotta watch this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back