DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #6,948 of 13,478
The hiss isn’t all that bad, but IMO, the hisses from cassette tapes and or LP scratching still feel more comfortable LOL! Anyways, just don’t use the “hot-swap” method and you are Less likely to encounter the hiss

All of this reminds me of my preference for Dolby B and C NR switches on tape decks back in the day. I know the 'hiss' well..... :)

Without the hot swap, I can only use two headphones with AMP9: HD 630VB and Momentum 2 (both over 110dB efficient). Hot swapping and using iEMatch opened the door to use almost all of my headphones with it. I don't plan to keep doing that but, until iBasso (or perhaps @Windows X or @Lurker0 ) makes new firmware to workaround this, we're stuck with these frustrating quirks.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #6,949 of 13,478
Im OLD too :) I remember castes LP's and Evan 9 track ! I must admit the hiss is growing on me :).

As some have said here, the sound really gets optimal at about 100 hours. Spent the first twenty hours listening to it..left it alone and came back. They were 100% right. You don't want to stop listening...it'll be a a long while before AMPMK2 goes back on...maybe when it goes up for sale and replace with MAX

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #6,951 of 13,478
I assume even with iEMatch and Zeus you should still have some extra overhead in volume due to a high sensitivity of Zeus. But iEMatch might not work with some other IEMs where you need to push volume higher with amp9, since iEMatch attenuates it down.

I imagine there should be more headroom with most iems and AMP9 compared to using it with headphones.

I've also found that a hot-swap plus iEMatch (despite the lower attenuation) leaves tons of headroom, enough to make use of the graphic EQ (which further attenuates volume downward). I barely go past 90 volume even with iEMatch and EQ on using my Sony Z7.

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #6,952 of 13,478
Yes, I agree with that as I do think for people who is used to Cassette and LP, the hiss just adds “authenticity”. The Amp9 has an excellent sound quality. Hence I said the Amp9 make me think about a very high quality cassette Walkman with tapes but without Flutter/Wow problems and cleaning the head or demagnetizing maintenances. There have to be compromises, who knows what were compromised for this universe to come to existence ? Perhaps Thanos got beheaded before his “snap”....LOL
Oh yeah - Dolby B, C, S, HX Pro, TDK SA-X & Maxell XLII-S High Bias Tapes - those were the days and thank goodness they are behind us now.. For those that remember the searching for top S/N performance and how to minimize noise, hiss, record artifacts that drove us crazy - and now we are in digital bliss (at least for me)!!! I still have my Onkyo TA-2600 Cassette Deck buried somewhere in my garage along with my Alpine 7390...

Amazing how far we have come in technology - and the incredible performance we carry in our pockets!

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 24, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #6,953 of 13,478
I still use cassette here and there, even LP :). Both have it pros and cons :D. But I do agree about the speed of the evolving technology for our hobby. Heck, there is a $30K Reel 2 reel decks currently being produced :D

The craziest is that we are able to have Tubes sound in the pocket! Even the glows!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #6,955 of 13,478
Im OLD too :) I remember castes LP's and Evan 9 track ! I must admit the hiss is growing on me :).

Yup, I remember 8 tracks, had a bunch...then had an insane number of LP's. Sold the ones worth anything back in the early 2000's. Got really good money for some of them like an original Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers with the working zipper and the pink panties inside, and a few others.

i remember black and white television with tubes :ksc75smile:

Yup, had the B/W tv...aluminum foil "ears", and watching all "3" tv channels...lol

Oh yeah - Dolby B, C, S, HX Pro, TDK SA-X & Maxell XLII-S High Bias Tapes - those were the days and thank goodness they are behind us now.. For those that remember the searching for top S/N performance and how to minimize noise, hiss, record artifacts that drove us crazy - and now we are in digital bliss (at least for me)!!! I still have my Onkyo TA-2600 Cassette Deck buried somewhere in my garage along with my Alpine 7390...

Amazing how far we have come in technology - and the incredible performance we carry in our pockets!

Cheers,
Tim

LOL I had that same Onkyo! Man, remember the fun of making mix tapes? LOL
Seems like sooo long ago.

Wait, it WAS a long time ago...I'm old. lol

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #6,956 of 13,478
Just when technology is trying to lower the noise floor, now some of you are praising
the hissing sound??:confused:

Technology is trying to do a lot of things, for example, how to reproduce music from digital into analog with an authentic analog sound :). Also, how to convert analog recording of real instruments into digital files correctly...etc....etc....

The points is that, if it sound good, then it is good.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #6,957 of 13,478
Just heard from Paul. It's going to be "a while" before the Max is ready for release guys. Enjoy what you have because it could be a long wait.

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #6,959 of 13,478
LOL, I am loving this DX228EX combo and it's maker for the joy it's bringing me!

My wife, however, keeps yelling at me because I simply can't hear her with my headphones on. lol

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back