DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 23, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #6,931 of 13,460
You keep mentioning about his stuff being modified, did he share details of what he have done to it ? And why
According to his impression, the low is tighter..
if I heard all his gear, his DX220 mod was more on analytic, so as probably his AMP9 ( I have not listen to it)

Still I asking for his time to met. but I prefer user that have AMP9 stock...

Jul 23, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #6,932 of 13,460
@Carlsan said there is a hiss with the Solaris on amp9. Might wanna talk to him first before jumping in
Solaris sounds great with the default amp, but amp 9 adds hiss between tracks. If one can ignore it, the combo does sound good. The Massdrop x Empire Ears Zeus is worse and almost un-listenable.
Then again, tube amps can often add unwanted hiss, it's part of the downside of tubes. From my collection, these are the only two I have found a hiss with.
The Noble Khan, by the way, sounds fantastic with Amp9.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #6,934 of 13,460
Solaris sounds great with the default amp, but amp 9 adds hiss between tracks. If one can ignore it, the combo does sound good. The Massdrop x Empire Ears Zeus is worse and almost un-listenable.
Then again, tube amps can often add unwanted hiss, it's part of the downside of tubes. From my collection, these are the only two I have found a hiss with.
You didn't hear hiss on Noble Khan? I notice hiss on my Khan with PW Audio 1960s 2 wire

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #6,935 of 13,460

You might wanna try iFi's iEMatch. I got one a few years ago due to a noisy tube amp but forgot about it once I upgraded. Remembered I had it after hearing hiss with AMP9 and my low impedance headphones.

Started using iEMatch with AMP9 yesterday and, once again, the hiss is gone without diminishing sound quality.

Jul 23, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #6,936 of 13,460
thank for whoever that reported the issue :)
You're welcome! Took quite a bit of effort to get them to open up to troubleshooting on something that isn't a standard Android phone. Once they did though, they were awesome and fixed the issue within a few days of sending in the diagnostic output! Very impressed

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #6,938 of 13,460
You're welcome! Took quite a bit of effort to get them to open up to troubleshooting on something that isn't a standard Android phone. Once they did though, they were awesome and fixed the issue within a few days of sending in the diagnostic output! Very impressed

How did you convince them? I had a hell of a time with them on this, they refused to even consider a problem on their end.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #6,939 of 13,460
How did you convince them? I had a hell of a time with them on this, they refused to even consider a problem on their end.
I’m a software architect so used some of those skills to pull together the evidence that the DX220 was no different than any other Android mobile phone as far as the Tidal app is concerned, minus the cell. :)

Honestly it was a long shot, but it worked! I was amazed how quickly they patched once they received the diagnostics. 3 days!

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #6,940 of 13,460
I’m a software architect so used some of those skills to pull together the evidence that the DX220 was no different than any other Android mobile phone as far as the Tidal app is concerned, minus the cell. :)

Honestly it was a long shot, but it worked! I was amazed how quickly they patched once they received the diagnostics. 3 days!

Hats off to you!

Jul 24, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #6,941 of 13,460
You might wanna try iFi's iEMatch. I got one a few years ago due to a noisy tube amp but forgot about it once I upgraded. Remembered I had it after hearing hiss with AMP9 and my low impedance headphones.

Started using iEMatch with AMP9 yesterday and, once again, the hiss is gone without diminishing sound quality.

I assume even with iEMatch and Zeus you should still have some extra overhead in volume due to a high sensitivity of Zeus. But iEMatch might not work with some other IEMs where you need to push volume higher with amp9, since iEMatch attenuates it down.

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #6,942 of 13,460
OK feeling the AMP9 now with the CA Solaris, tried the IEMatch and that fixed it for me. Also had a go with slightly less sensitive IEM's and that worked too. Also after 10 hours burn in the waterfall hiss seemed to get better.... Or I am just feeling the amp9 now :).

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #6,944 of 13,460
Im OLD too :) I remember castes LP's and Evan 9 track ! I must admit the hiss is growing on me :).

Jul 24, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #6,945 of 13,460
Im OLD too :) I remember castes LP's and Evan 9 track ! I must admit the hiss is growing on me :).
Yes, I agree with that as I do think for people who is used to Cassette and LP, the hiss just adds “authenticity”. The Amp9 has an excellent sound quality. Hence I said the Amp9 make me think about a very high quality cassette Walkman with tapes but without Flutter/Wow problems and cleaning the head or demagnetizing maintenances. There have to be compromises, who knows what were compromised for this universe to come to existence ? Perhaps Thanos got beheaded before his “snap”....LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back