DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 23, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #6,901 of 13,478
As gain rises so does the noise floor. That doesn't mean that the changes are going to be audible in any meaningful way. Ideally you keep gain at the lowest setting required to adequately drive the load to the volume that you desire.
Ok, but your sentence is not totally true because I can hear in high gain at level 45 (just for example) or at 85 in low gain.
My question is mainly concerned on what is the impact of the gain (low - medium - high) on the sound quality.
If iBasso had choose a different way like the following:

Low Gain: volume between 1-50
Medium Gain: volume between 51-100
High Gain: volume between 101-150

Then, each of us cannot have any question and doubt about the gain.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #6,902 of 13,478
Ok, but your sentence is not totally true because I can hear in high gain at level 45 (just for example) or at 85 in low gain.
My question is mainly concerned on what is the impact of the gain (low - medium - high) on the sound quality.
If iBasso had choose a different way like the following:

Low Gain: volume between 1-50
Medium Gain: volume between 51-100
High Gain: volume between 101-150

Then, each of us cannot have any question and doubt about the gain.
You can ignore my reply as it was based on my understanding of an analog gain. When it comes to digital gain I have learned much less and I am currently researching it to learn more.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #6,903 of 13,478
Now this is interesting, High Forward, while Bass still punchy... how is the Mid...? still detail and layered?

So according to you, AMP 9 still warm sig?

really need to try this

Details is superior than AMP Stock I would say and yes MID is still detail and layered.
For the sound signature, I can't really comment on that as I'm still beginner:smile_phones:
how to differentiate cold or warm ? :disappointed:

Oh ya, I highly recommend you to try the AMP9 as I remembered that you like the microdetail of the sound.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #6,904 of 13,478
Nice! I've been following your post on iiotode and it's been very helpful. Looking forward to more tips and impressions from you!

WOW.
Thank you so much. that means a lot for me.
i don't have time to write my impressions in english, but someday i want to and connect much more with Head-fiers.

Jul 23, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #6,905 of 13,478
You can ignore my reply as it was based on my understanding of an analog gain. When it comes to digital gain I have learned much less and I am currently researching it to learn more.

AFAIK High gain has the best SNR since its a digital gain out of the DAC before analogue amplification.
As analogue amplification acts on the whole spectrum, rising volume on medium gain to equal high gain will consequently rise noise floor at the same amount.

After this post I should be distinguished with an Headphoneus Supremus emblem... LOL
... (or be downgraded to Headphones noobilatus)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #6,907 of 13,478
Thanks. I'll try factory reset. How much battery should I be getting on those settings out of interest?
There are a few of us getting around 5 hours. For reference - I use Mid gain setting and typically volume at 66, sometimes up to 74/76 for lower recorded songs or even a bump up to High gain, using Sony MDR-EX650 T IEMs which are 32 ohm.

Using a QC/PD compatible charger I get a full charge in about 2 1/2 hours from a discharged state.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim

Jul 23, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #6,908 of 13,478
So dual dacs are better than just one ?
Can be - depending on the rest of the system design/architecture. I prefer iBasso's approach to dual DACs where one DAC is dedicated for each channel and the single ended/balanced outputs are dealt with in the amplification circuits.

Other manufacturers have implemented dual DACs where each DAC generates both left and right channel analog output and then use only one DAC output for single ended and combine the signals from both DACs for balanced. Personally, I do not care for this approach and when I asked in other threads for technical rationale or pros/cons of that architecture versus the iBasso design there was no response. From what I have seen the Cayin N8 also follows a similar approach as iBasso for the dual DAC implementation (here is a link to info on the N8: http://en.cayin.cn/upload/products/20180930/201809301041597678.jpg).

Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions to share?

Cheers,
Tim

@Paul - iBasso - would love to see a system block diagram for the DX220 if it is not too much trouble or something considered proprietary.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #6,909 of 13,478
My AMP9 got quieter with use. With regular tubes, I have had some that got quite and some noisier but normally, as they burn in, they got quiet. it varies. I had some waterfall hiss to begin with but now none. It also depends of course on what you are listening with. I use the IT04 and have no problem and the Focal Stellia a lot (which it drives with ease and the sound is excellent, reminds me of the Manley Absolute amp I have).

OK cool, I'll keep going and see how it pans out. Thanks to you and everyone else feedback.

Jul 23, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #6,910 of 13,478
There are a few of us getting around 5 hours. For reference - I use Mid gain setting and typically volume at 66, sometimes up to 74/76 for lower recorded songs or even a bump up to High gain, using Sony MDR-EX650 T IEMs which are 32 ohm.

Using a QC/PD compatible charger I get a full charge in about 2 1/2 hours from a discharged state.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tim
Thank you

Jul 23, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #6,911 of 13,478
Whatever happened to that guy rutter (sic?). Board took on an entirely different personality when he complained about everything under the sun and plus some. Smart guy but had a lot of issues.

Btw, Neutron updated their android app to support DX220: “Filter and gain support”

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #6,912 of 13,478
Whatever happened to that guy rutter (sic?). Board took on an entirely different personality when he complained about everything under the sun and plus some. Smart guy but had a lot of issues.

Btw, Neutron updated their android app to support DX220: “Filter and gain support”
I think he got banned from this thread. He was actually entertaining to me :)

Jul 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #6,913 of 13,478
Not sure if the picture will come out right but I really like the color of new Mitter case.

20190723_134243 (1).jpg

Jul 23, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #6,914 of 13,478
Not sure if the picture will come out right but I really like the color of new Mitter case.

Nice. Is that case the one that allows the DAP to stay in a leaned position?
Update: anyway for headphone use this wouldn't be possible.

I like the navy blue? Color.
Is it tight or a "bit” loose as original case?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #6,915 of 13,478
I contact Dignis every one in a while, because I like their cases the most. Guess what, they are making a case for the DX220.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back