DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 19, 2019 at 2:17 AM Post #6,616 of 13,478
Try using a 8Gb or 4GB uSD card and follow the below:
1. download and install https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ on your PC
2. download the latest Lurker Firmware updater ; https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-F...DX220FirmwareUpdater/DX220FirmwareUpdater.zip
3. unzip the DX220FirmwareUpdater.zip image to your desktop - this file is used to create the boot partition on the uSD card - it is not the firmware add-on - that comes later...
3. run win32diskimager and write the DX220FirmwareUpdater.img file from your desktop to the uSD card

If all went right , you should have SD-card labeled as DX220UPDATE, with the following content:
  • sd_boot_config.config
  • sdupdate.img
  • rksdfw.tag
sdupdate.img is empty (0 bytes), and it is the placeholder for the real firmware update image file. You now need to get the actual firmware and copy it to the uSD.

Now you need to get the latest firmware add-on
4. download the firmware add-on from https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-F...ownload/v1.21/DX220-A8.1-L1.21b1-sdupdate.zip
5. unzip the firmware to your desktop and copy sdupdate.img to the uSD card - overwrite the file that's there.

6. Safely eject the uSD card from your computer
7. ensure no USB cables are plugged into the DX220 and shut it down. (make sure it has a good charge of at least 20% or more)
8. Insert the uSD card and power on the DX220 - it should now patch the firmware and tell you to turn off and remove the uSD card when it's finished. This should only take a minute or two.
9. When told to do so on the screen - remove the uSD card are reboot your DX220.

You should now be patched.
You now need to follow the readme file that's included to register your device with Google for the Playstore to activate. You use the USB Audio App for this.
"Uncertified device" problem
----------------------------
To work around uncertified device problem, you have to register your device in Google.
The registration page is here:

https://www.google.com/android/uncertified/

Please read below how to do it. Meanwhile, to stop the annoying notification, long tap on it
in the status bar and turn it off there.

To find out your Google Framework Services Android ID:
------------------------------------------------------
1. Start "USB Audio" application.
2. Open menu (3 dots at the right top corner) and select "Google Android ID".

If your device has already assigned the ID, you'll see it on the screen. It is copied
to the Android clipboard, so you may try to tap to the link, logon to Google account in
the Chrome browser (NOT on the device! Tap the left button in the Chrome!)) and paste the ID
for registration. Instead, you may use your computer to open the link and carefully type in
all the 19 digits to register.

If it does not show the android_id (19 digits), it means you haven't connected to Internet
long enough for Google Services to create the ID.

After registering, it may require to reboot, connect to WiFi and wait for some minutes,
until the uncertified status becomes 5 (five). From now on, your device is registered
and you are allowed to use Google Services.
If you don't do this last step, Playstore will not work properly.

Note these links are only relevant to apply to the current official version from iBasso and later future versions should use the latest Lurker mods.

Goodluck! You are patching the firmware at your own risk. If you don't feel confident doing this then don't do it. :)

Wow! That is so awesome. I will try my best to make this happen. I’ll let you know when I’m successfully done. Appreciate your time and effort.

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #6,617 of 13,478
Man, that is quite some works.
I have not received my dx220 yet, and have no chance to read through all posts, so
May I ask what is this for?
Its a way to get Google playstore (Google service etc) works in Android mode.
Since Android Oreo on DX220 already not support Google service anymore.
It's a alternative ways.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #6,619 of 13,478
I am pretty sure one of the best price/quality ratio I got in audio equipment was my Audio Technica ATH M40X. I use it mainly to listen to music while doing house cleaning ... it makes everything better LOL.
So a few days ago I had the chance to listen it for the very first time with AMP9 and what a transformation!
50 bucks new? 1/40 the price of a cable? :sunglasses:
What a steal !!! AMP9 does miracles

Jul 19, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #6,620 of 13,478
Even with the amp8 you can't drive it? Among the top tier headphones, Phi looks like the only one that is light and portable. But it's a open back!!

Sadly where i live people don't usually buy these expensive ones, so have to take the leap of faith!!
Amp8 and amp1mk2 are the same in terms of power to drive Diana (as for me - high gain and 120 volume) and they can drive Diana. But if You compare the sound from dx220 and Hugo, there comes understanding, that dx220 can’t drive them.

Jul 19, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #6,621 of 13,478
XiSRC by default, at least when I just tried it, seems to output DSF files that are a quite a bit "Louder" than the FLAC input files. If I attempt as best as possible to volume match the levels of the FLAC to DSF there appears, at least to my ears be little or no difference.

Conclusions: We all know that louder sounds better but if you like the results then its all good.

So just finished few listening tests between the upsampled DSD512 and the original FLAC files, used Mango Player (Android based) for the DSD and UAPP for FLAC.

You are quite correct in what you mentioned that XISRC does in a way make the files louder than the original ones. The only thing that i did find different was atleast when playing DSD content with Mango player, the song seemed to have a bit of warmth compared to the original file.

So if i played the DSD song at 110 with middle gain, the same song with 115 at middle gain sounded almost 99% same to me.

I guess HQPlayerPro is more efficient in upsampling PCM due to it's modulation filters that you can play with, XiSRC does not have that feature, guess that's why it's so expensive. Only @Whitigir can confirm if he can find a difference between these two softwares!

For me, atleast upsampled contents from XiSrc is not worth the storage space it is using. I am guessing if i had AMP9 for the test, the result would have been the same.

Jul 19, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #6,622 of 13,478
I am pretty sure one of the best price/quality ratio I got in audio equipment was my Audio Technica ATH M40X. I use it mainly to listen to music while doing house cleaning ... it makes everything better LOL.
So a few days ago I had the chance to listen it for the very first time with AMP9 and what a transformation!
50 bucks new? 1/40 the price of a cable? :sunglasses:
What a steal !!! AMP9 does miracles
my M40x got broken in the head band, can't be fixed...
Unfortunately for me, it broke down before I got DX220...

but my spare HeadPhone HD668b is also nice, with AMP1MK2, the mid get a bit forward... although still V-Shaped.

Jul 19, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #6,627 of 13,478
Amp8 and amp1mk2 are the same in terms of power to drive Diana (as for me - high gain and 120 volume) and they can drive Diana. But if You compare the sound from dx220 and Hugo, there comes understanding, that dx220 can’t drive them.

AMP1mk2 and AMP8 outputs are different. Don't know what your talking about there??

AMP1MK2
+/- 6.2Vrms (balanced)
1200mA into 32 ohms

AMP8
+/- 6.2Vrms (balanced)
1200mA into 32 ohms
(max current of 2700mA) which is way more than AMP1mk2 can handle
Power = voltage squared divided by resistance

edited...

and BTW we can calculate AMP9 voltage assuming that they provided the current rating at the standard 32 ohm load...
therefore if AMP9 is 200mA per channel then it's voltage output is approximately 2.53v per channel @ 200mA - so not very much - but it's enough to drive my 25 ohm TH610 quite loud enough even when pushed to volume 150 without any discernable distortion.

P.S. AMP8 has enough power to drive the Diana's w/ 1.2watt per channel into 32 ohms unless you like your music really really loud, 1W is heaps for just about anything.
Also don't know what you're hearing is telling you, but Hugo is only good for 750mW into 32 ohm - so almost half of what AMP8 can do. Less than 1W into Planar's is definitely not enough so I would not use Hugo or Hugo 2 for that matter.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #6,629 of 13,478
Just got a DX220 to "replace" my DX150 that I left on a plane. Very happy and pair it with a Amp7 as my DX150. However, the compared with DX150, the volume knob is terrible. It is so thin that when pair with the leather case, it is very hard to use. Hope ibasso can improve in future models. While the quality of the leather material is really nice, the design is also terrible compared to DX150. It doesn't secure the player properly that the DX220 will slide within the case.

I am awaiting a TPU case from China. Hope that will be better.

I put them side by side for comparison.

IMG_20190719_202924.jpg

However, the screen quality for DX220 is Significantly better than DX150.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #6,630 of 13,478
AMP1mk2 and AMP8 outputs are completely different. Don't know what your talking about there??

AMP1MK2
+/- 6.2Vrms (balanced)
1200mA into 32 ohms

AMP8
+/- 8Vrms (balanced)
2000mA into 32 ohms
(max current of 2700mA) which is way more than AMP1mk2 can handle
Power = voltage squared divided by resistance

AMP8 is therefore almost twice as powerful as AMP1mk2 into 32 ohms.
with a max of 2700mA

and BTW we can calculate AMP9 voltage assuming that they provided the current rating at the standard 32 ohm load...
therefore if AMP9 is 200mA per channel then it's voltage output is approximately 2.53v per channel @ 200mA - so not very much - but it's enough to drive my 25 ohm TH610 quite loud enough even when pushed to volume 150 without any discernable distortion.

P.S. AMP8 has enough power to drive the Diana's w/ 1.2watt per channel into 32 ohms unless you like your music really really loud, 1W is heaps for just about anything.
Also don't know what you're hearing is telling you, but Hugo is only good for 750mW into 32 ohm - so almost half of what AMP8 can do. Less than 1W into Planar's is definitely not enough so I would not use Hugo or Hugo 2 for that matter.
Where do you get the Figure number of 8Vrms?
is there new AMP 8?
I checked in the ibasso web still 6.2 Vrms which is the same of AMp1Mk2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back