DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 17, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #6,511 of 13,478
For the love of God - that is just insane...

Those cables must be made from mermaid hair woven with unicorn fur before being encase in superconducting dragon saliva - you know, the same stuff used in cold fusion reactors!

Cheers,
Tim
It's the shielding. Every strand of copper is isolated and shielded, so no electron hopping or interference. .
Makes a huge difference, has to be heard to be believed. .

Jul 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #6,512 of 13,478
This whole cable thing is absolutely ridiculous. They are so overpriced and ripping people off. There are a limited number of suppliers of Litz cable. These cable "terminating" companies are charging an arm and a leg for what? The cost of the cable, even though the cost of silver cable doubled recently, is nowhere near what they are charging for the cable. That's a pet peeve of mine, seeing people paying so much for something like a cable. As said above, when your cable costs more than your IEM's, you need to rethink what you're spending money on. They charge these prices because people keep paying these exorbitant prices.

Do you know of any hi res downloads for the remastered Scorpions? I understand their live album is pretty good.

For the Righteous Brothers, I have looked a long time for better recordings than what I have.

I'll put it on my dropbox and send you a link for the Righteous Brothers.

For the Scorpions..and with most of my music, I've been turning the FLAC's into DSD512

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #6,513 of 13,478
I believe in litz silver cables as they do make a difference in sound quality. How much of a difference? Not much. I would say around 5% to my ears. But if you can't hear a difference, it's still nice to know you are no losing anything in sq and having a better looking cable than stock:) I can see spending $100-$300. But anything more, hell no! The nice thing is if you buy a custom one, you can always have them reterminated for any plugs. So you're really just spending once and you should be set. Of course at the very end it's your money and you can do what the hell you want with it!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #6,514 of 13,478
It's the shielding. Every strand of copper is isolated and shielded, so no electron hopping or interference. .
Makes a huge difference, has to be heard to be believed. .

Have you seen how some daps headphone sockets connect to the main board, just mobile phone type printed flex and a mobile phone type connector , we are talking LPGT and Kann cube too off the top of my head, that last inch is worth about 1 pence :ksc75smile:

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #6,515 of 13,478
Have you seen how some daps headphone sockets connect to the main board, just mobile phone type printed flex and a mobile phone type connector , we are talking LPGT and Kann cube too off the top of my head, that last inch is worth about 1 pence :ksc75smile:
Cube too? I didn't realise that

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #6,517 of 13,478
They are using solid wires on circuit boards.
On my full size speakers I have compared 800 dollar stranded cables with 12 gauge solid electrical copper wires from Home Depot ($8 for a roll), the Home Depot wires won out.
On iems, I can't really use home depot electrical wires, if I could I would.
The shielding on stranded cables makes a big difference. Should that cable be 2.5 thousand? No, its price gouging, but nonetheless it does make a pretty substantial audible difference.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #6,518 of 13,478
In my experience. I've taken out for amp module swapping more dozen times, I've not seen signals that my amp9 will fail. It dont cause amp9 become more burning or overload.
Amp9 with amp module swapping is punchier, more powerful than Chord Mojo and more convenient in portable aspect.

To each his/her own.

I won't be hot swapping amp modules but, if what you experience is true, means it should be possible to get more power out of the AMP9 via a firmware update.

Only iBasso ( @Paul - iBasso ) knows why AMP9 output is so limited (heat?, distortion?). Battery life with it is impressive but I'd gladly trade the two for a chance to drive headphones that aren't 110dB efficient. Even stacked with an external amp, output is weak since there's not enough input power. I don't have the tools to accurately measure it but I'd be surprised if AMP9 exceeds 1V at max volume.

Edit: Don't mean to complain about the AMP9. Its sound is so amazing that I've been limiting myself to the few headphones in my collection that it's capable of driving.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #6,519 of 13,478
I've just updated the Tidal app on my DX220 and it seems that downloaded MQA masters are now fully unfolding when playing!

Excellent! I can confirm that offline files are now unfolded fully. It also seems to have fixed the ‘skipping first few seconds of the song’ issue - at least almost always. Still happened a few times, but then tried recreating it and it played the song just fine from the start. Eh. Whatever. Solid improvement either way!

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #6,520 of 13,478
To be clear, I never said that upgraded cables are not worth it. They absolutely are. All my cables are the EXACT same pure silver Litz cables that Nord and other manufacturers use. What I am saying is that the price gouging is disgusting. 2000% profit on cables for some of these manufacturers? Are you kidding me? For terminating a freaking cable??? These cable companies spew stories and BS about how "their" cable is better than "those" cables...and "OUR" cable is so much sonically better than "HIS" cables. At these audio shows...you hear a lot of pseudo-sciences. Some manufacturers use a shred of scientific truth and build up the rest of their story with utter lies and fabrications.

There are private mom and pop cable guys that do the same and better work than any of the "named" manufacturers. It's become more about cables being a status symbol than anything else. At the AXPONA show there was this guy bragging about how he owns this brand and that brand...blah blah blah...and I just looked at him and said, "wow did they see you coming." ::shrugs: whatever, but believe me, owning overpriced silver Litz cable is not something to brag about. Buying anything with a profit margin to the maker of 2000% is foolish. Message me and I'll hook you up with a better guy.

OK, back on topic. Sorry for the soapbox guys.

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #6,521 of 13,478
To be clear, I never said that upgraded cables are not worth it. They absolutely are. All my cables are the EXACT same pure silver Litz cables that Nord and other manufacturers use. What I am saying is that the price gouging is disgusting. 2000% profit on cables for some of these manufacturers? Are you kidding me? For terminating a freaking cable??? These cable companies spew stories and BS about how "their" cable is better than "those" cables...and "OUR" cable is so much sonically better than "HIS" cables. At these audio shows...you hear a lot of pseudo-sciences. Some manufacturers use a shred of scientific truth and build up the rest of their story with utter lies and fabrications.

There are private mom and pop cable guys that do the same and better work than any of the "named" manufacturers. It's become more about cables being a status symbol than anything else. At the AXPONA show there was this guy bragging about how he owns this brand and that brand...blah blah blah...and I just looked at him and said, "wow did they see you coming." ::shrugs: whatever, but believe me, owning overpriced silver Litz cable is not something to brag about. Buying anything with a profit margin to the maker of 2000% is foolish. Message me and I'll hook you up with a better guy.

I love it - this discussion reminds me of this:

Enjoy,
Tim

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #6,522 of 13,478
Jul 17, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #6,523 of 13,478
I love it - this discussion reminds me of this:

Enjoy,
Tim

Still better than the "You must have defective ears because I don't like the iem you like" discussion....
:)

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #6,524 of 13,478

I couldn't agree more. I believe that two exact Litz cables should sound identical. Unless is was assemble by someone incompetent. I also believe that silver is the best conductor and anything mixed in, say gold, etc will make them worst. It might make is sound better, with some headphones/iems, but that maybe the flaw of the headphones/iem. Say someone trying to tame a headphone that is too bright by getting copper instead of silver. I suggest getting different headphones instead. This is just what I believe. OK back to the dx220.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #6,525 of 13,478
From a person that tinkered around a lot.

Cables, solder, connectors...etc...everything affect sound quality...no joke. But seriously, for a piece of cables that is fool proof....easy to make....and costing that much ? Hmm...

You know ? I always say that Cables is to squeeze out the last % of synergies from your system, between your DAP and your IEMs. There is no universal cables as we all have different system, gears, ears, preferences....etc.....if someone is saying this Cables is the best for “ballads and Jazz”....that is full of “horse shoes”. Sure, Ballads and Jazz from an AK Cube and an HD800s is going to be a lot of different from a Sony DMP-Z1 and a Z1R. Don’t you agree ?

Cables that expensive should be extensively be tested, listened, with certificate and proof that someone tested it on a given system, and detailed it out, and when it is all matched toward your desires. Then you are fully justified to make such a big purchase :wink:

At the end of the day, universal cables that improve your performances do exist, but they don’t worth a kidney, or a limb .... they can be braided by any mommy in the house, and soldered up by any amateur!

However, don’t let my sensible bug bite you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back