DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jul 15, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #6,421 of 13,478
As I pointed out above, the lower profile is simply not true and the fact the 3.5mm alliance had to resort to misleading graphics to make their point shows this. A 0.9mm difference in diameter hardly matters in high end DAPs where thickness is never a huge concern. Most DAPs - especially TOTL ones - already uses big components such as high quality capacitors and heavy thick shielding to get better SQ results that shaving 1mm off the thickness is not really that high of a priority, and I'd argue audiophiles would care more about how the inside is properly designed, shielded and what high quality component is used rather than a 1mm difference in thickness as we are not talking about smartphones trends here. Also the 3.5mm Pro jacks are clearly of lesser designed than 4.4mm ones - again see where I pointed out that 4.4mm Pentaconn sockets has two contact points for each pin to ensure proper connection and rigidity where the 3.5mm Pro only uses the traditional single spring contact point of 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks, so if you care about cable adaptors then you should also care about the quality of the socket themselves because they also form part of the connection, and here the 3.5mm Pro sockets neither provide a higher quality contact in itself, and the quality of the components so far looks cheaply made. I already suspected that this is because they are simply reusing currently available TRRS components which are most likely just spill over stock from smartphones components, rather than proper high grade components such as those found for 4.4mm gear where everything was designed and made from the ground up to be specifically used in audio application. Worrying about adaptors while overlooking the socket and plug themselves in the device is kind of missing the forest for the tree.

Well, I'm just making friends all over the place tonight. Please know that there is a smile on my face as I write this. Even though we disagree, I hope we can have a productive and illuminating exchange that will be mutually beneficial and helpful to others. I want to respect your perspective, even though it may be, and in fact, is wrong.

I'm so sorry. I'm joking. It's 5am here, I'm sleep deprived and I'm wanting to play. Honestly, seriously, no disrespect. Our common passion already should make us friends.

Let me say again: the 4.4 is my. favorite connector that the audio world has ever produced. Like yourself, I do care very much about high grade components, and suspect that we share a belief that they do matter in terms of SQ. I don't share the notion that a $2 Radioshack (R.I.P) connector sounds no different than a $75 Furutech rhodium plated copper alloy conductor. I don't think the quality is just marketing, or even just about robust longevity, I value it for its sonic performance.

Having said that, I think that is actually the secondary point. We're talking about the design, at least I was, not the present implementation. 4.4 has had a bit of time now to produce some high quality, well constructed models. 3.5 pro is the new kid, and I think the best producers of connectors are waiting to see if it gains traction before they commit R&D resources. If it does, I'm sure we will see connectors of equally high caliber.

It is about the format, and we've all felt the pinch of being caught up in the turf war over who controls the balanced connectors: 2.5mm, 4.4, Kobiconn for heaven's sake, and now 3.5pro? But, I don't think we should be short sighted and asses which one is the best by the quality of presently available plugs. Whoever wins will make the best sounding, highest quality plugs. They'll have the best builders researching metals, materials, shielding, cryogenic processing!, and how best to construct and exploit the design. But, again which design.

I honestly don't know if the number of contact points is intrinsic to the difference between 4.4. and 3.5pro or just the present poor quality 3.5 pro connectors. I don't know if a high quality 3.5 pro connector might remedy the situation you flagged with better contact geometry. To be honest with you, I'm not sure how much real world difference it would make, as long as the single contact was made of the best materials and constructed to the highest of tolerances.

Also, I actually don't take the difference in diameter between 3.5mm and 4.4mm too seriously one way or the other. When I said the 3.5mm had a slimmer profile I just meant for a portable device–all things being even–I would rather have something smaller, but that the 2.5 does make me nervous. I do agree with you, if the–design–of the 4.4 actually produced a sonic benefit over the–design–of the 3.5pro, I'd take it in a heart beat. But, that's a tough sell, I think a Furutech made 3.5 pro would sound as good as a Furutech 4.4 (I like Furutech), and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart sonically.

What I do know is that–one–plug that can fit both SE or balanced amps would be of a clear real world benefit and would get my vote to swing in that direction as an actual step forward. If that's missing the forest for the tree, well, that's a good tree. And I'm saying if that tree gets planted a whole industry of piug designers will grow a new forest, a better forest (huge, silly, sleepy smile).

All the best to you Nanaholic, sincerely.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #6,422 of 13,478
Fresh from the courier :ksc75smile:
IMG_20190715_191301.jpg

IMG_20190715_191349.jpg

IMG_20190715_192421.jpg

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #6,423 of 13,478
Jul 15, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #6,424 of 13,478
After more 50hrs listening with amp9. I saw that amp9 has amazing quality if triggered by dx220's stock amp( * ). It is not only very, very louder, but punchier, more sublime. Drive high impedence easily, as with my Ve Zen 300 ohms. If dx220 be restated, driving Ve Zen become very difficult, even with high gain mode. With low impedence iems, the "waterfall" background noise can be detected easily, but not cause distraction when playing.
Until now, my amp9 passed more 30 hrs with the triggered stock amp mode and continue to be listened by its amazing sound quality, it is only more and more better. I've not seen any signal that my amp9 will fail :)

(*). That is power on dx200 with stock amp and then insert amp9 without power off. Voltage feed stock amp will be the best trigger source for feeding amp9.
I saw that amp9's true power can only triggered by stock amp, can not use amp8 to trigger amp9.

Jul 15, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #6,426 of 13,478
I saw that amp9's true power can only triggered by stock amp, can not use amp8 to trigger amp9.

Amp9 replaces stock amp, as does amp8 or any other module. They cannot be used in tandem!

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #6,430 of 13,478
Are you talking about hot swapping the amps? Isn't this not a great idea?
Yes, great inventions maybe originated by accident events :). I inserted amp9 in wrong way, but I saw it made amp9 show a very great musical potential.
Hope new firmware will help amp9 show its true potential and I dont need stock amp to trigger amp9 again.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #6,432 of 13,478
Yes, great inventions maybe originated by accident events :). I inserted amp9 in wrong way, but I saw it made amp9 show a very great musical potential.
Hope new firmware will help amp9 show its true potential and I dont need stock amp to trigger amp9 again.

This is not new. I remember someone writing a while ago that swaping from AMP1mk2 to AMP9 without disconnecting DX220 would make it louder.
I wouldn't do it in any instance. I don't think the actual volume of AMP9 such as iBasso set on boot wasn't done by mistake but by design. Did you ask iBasso if there is a risk of blowing up AMP9 or seriously reducing its life expectancy?
My 2 cents

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #6,433 of 13,478
After more 50hrs listening with amp9. I saw that amp9 has amazing quality if triggered by dx220's stock amp( * ). It is not only very, very louder, but punchier, more sublime. Drive high impedence easily, as with my Ve Zen 300 ohms. If dx220 be restated, driving Ve Zen become very difficult, even with high gain mode. With low impedence iems, the "waterfall" background noise can be detected easily, but not cause distraction when playing.
Until now, my amp9 passed more 30 hrs with the triggered stock amp mode and continue to be listened by its amazing sound quality, it is only more and more better. I've not seen any signal that my amp9 will fail :)

(*). That is power on dx200 with stock amp and then insert amp9 without power off. Voltage feed stock amp will be the best trigger source for feeding amp9.

Respectfully...are you out of your mind??

Please guys do not hot swap your AMP modules!

#crazy

lol

Jul 15, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #6,434 of 13,478
This is not new. I remember someone writing a while ago that swaping from AMP1mk2 to AMP9 without disconnecting DX220 would make it louder.
I wouldn't do it in any instance. I don't think the actual volume of AMP9 such as iBasso set on boot wasn't done by mistake but by design. Did you ask iBasso if there is a risk of blowing up AMP9 or seriously reducing its life expectancy?
My 2 cents
Yes. It is my experience and choice. It is difference with you. I accept a price to have the best quality of amp9 :)
With my opinion, I dont recommend someone buy amp9 if new firmware not improve its true potential. They should buy amp8 or wait amp10 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back