DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
May 23, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #3,886 of 13,460
I did. It was nothing to write home about.

But @Researcher, you and everyone else here knows that HBB has a preference for the FiiO sound.

IMHO the burned in DX228W blew the M11 away in sound-stage, clarity, and depth. But hey, each to their own. I'd say we should have a poll here for people to vote but it would never be perspective enough. I mean...you CAN get a better sounding device, but you're going to spend$3K+ to get it. You can get a faster OS but you sacrifice sound quality. You can have dreams of perfection in your head which you'll never be able to obtain no matter how much money you spend.

I believe it's about whether you appreciate the affordability, versatility, and sound quality when picking a DAP. Normally, with other top of the line comparable DAP's you can pick two out of the three...but with the DX220, you get all three.

I only have vanilla dx220, did you try that against m11. Just curious. I like the sound but I've got a bunch of files that crash my 220 and a weird thing happening when I try to wake the screen sometimes.

Lurker is going to help me with the software to see if that helps, he seems to think 'hopefully' it's a software problem. If I could get as good as sound for 450 dollars less, I'm still in my return window. But I don't want to sacrifice that nice 3d soundstage. But then you get people on the m11 side saying the stage is massive and the most expansive they've heard - bla bla bla.

I

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #3,887 of 13,460

But @Researcher, you and everyone else here knows that HBB has a preference for the FiiO sound.

IMHO the burned in DX228W blew the M11 away in sound-stage, clarity, and depth. But hey, each to their own. I'd say we should have a poll here for people to vote but it would never be perspective enough. I mean...you CAN get a better sounding device, but you're going to spend$3K+ to get it. You can get a faster OS but you sacrifice sound quality. You can have dreams of perfection in your head which you'll never be able to obtain no matter how much money you spend.

I believe it's about whether you appreciate the affordability, versatility, and sound quality when picking a DAP. Normally, with other top of the line comparable DAP's you can pick two out of the three...but with the DX220, you get all three.
Bravo! Well said.

May 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #3,888 of 13,460
I only have vanilla dx220, did you try that against m11. Just curious. I like the sound but I've got a bunch of files that crash my 220 and a weird thing happening when I try to wake the screen sometimes.

Lurker is going to help me with the software to see if that helps, he seems to think 'hopefully' it's a software problem. If I could get as good as sound for 450 dollars less, I'm still in my return window. But I don't want to sacrifice that nice 3d soundstage. But then you get people on the m11 side saying the stage is massive and the most expansive they've heard - bla bla bla.

I

Yep that was with AMP1 MKII

May 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #3,889 of 13,460
Man, M11 from FiiO ain't even their response to DX220, it is like an X5-3 replacement. I am still waiting for the package, but with AMP7, DX220 really really has the dynamics that really now sound natural and well, dynamic. I was thirsty for this, especially after I spent lots of time with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and its insane dynamics and soundstage, only DX220 really was able to give me something that could make a similar experience, but portable, at least thus far :)

May 23, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #3,891 of 13,460

But, HBB is one of the best trustable reviewer here. He said DM6 is the best iem under 300, and people followed him. They are happy at the end. He said fearless sf8 and s6 rui are the best iems under 500. Many underlined andromeda cannot compete with sf8. He also said to recommend sf8 over solaris. To say this, you have to have balls. And he says M11 matches with dx220 (doubled price) at sounding.

Anyway, whatever sound signature he likes is, hbb is always right from my perspective. He does not care waffles, but reality, which makes him unique in this forum.

May 23, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #3,892 of 13,460
:)

May 23, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #3,893 of 13,460
But, HBB is one of the best trustable reviewer here. He said DM6 is the best iem under 300, and people followed him. They are happy at the end. He said fearless sf8 and s6 rui are the best iems under 500. Many underlined andromeda cannot compete with sf8. He also said to recommend sf8 over solaris. To say this, you have to have balls. And he says M11 matches with dx220 (doubled price) at sounding.

Anyway, whatever sound signature he likes is, hbb is always right from my perspective. He does not care waffles, but reality, which makes him unique in this forum.

Umm...ok...?

Well in that case, don't forget to follow him on Twitter I guess...lol

https://twitter.com/HifiBadguys

There are plenty of reliable reviewers on this site who heartily disagree with your boy. That's fine though, everyone picks and chooses who they want to follow. What exactly takes balls? Writing a review? Perhaps, the Andromeda "hit team" hasn't been dispatched yet? LOL c'mon really?

Enjoy the music.

May 23, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #3,896 of 13,460

I
All of those do sound like software issues. That doesn't mean they aren't problems, but it does mean they should be fixable without shipping.

I'm also curious about the 221 comparison.

May 23, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #3,897 of 13,460

That's Chris's presentation style he's bold and says things like his favorite word over and over. I respect his opinion but hardly take anyone reviewer to heart. To me the best thing with all these reviews is it gives you a perception of the broad spectrum and as a consumer you narrow in on what's important. Thats a great tool set. To me it's price, then sound, then feature set.

May 23, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #3,898 of 13,460

Umm...ok...?

Well in that case, don't forget to follow him on Twitter I guess...lol

https://twitter.com/HifiBadguys

There are plenty of reliable reviewers on this site who heartily disagree with your boy. That's fine though, everyone picks and chooses who they want to follow. What exactly takes balls? Writing a review? Perhaps, the Andromeda "hit team" hasn't been dispatched yet? LOL c'mon really?

Enjoy the music.
Well, it all depends on your taste. I've seen lots of people rave about how good the Andromedas sound but I didn't like the sound at all.

I wouldn't touch it at $200, let alone at its actual price. At $100 ,well, maybe, just for the looks.

And hey, which reviewer you follow is completely up to you. Some reviewers may have a closer preference to your own while others may have the complete opposite preference.

Personally I follow Dobrescu George, B9Scrambler (aka the Contraptionist), and Twister6's reviews more and stay away from Brooko and HBB's reviews as I feel that they have a preference for warmer tilts

May 23, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #3,899 of 13,460
Well, it all depends on your taste. I've seen lots of people rave about how good the Andromedas sound but I didn't like the sound at all.

I wouldn't touch it at $200, let alone at its actual price. At $100 ,well, maybe, just for the looks.

And hey, which reviewer you follow is completely up to you. Some reviewers may have a closer preference to your own while others may have the complete opposite preference.

Personally I follow Dobrescu George, B9Scrambler (aka the Contraptionist), and Twister6's reviews more and stay away from Brooko and HBB's reviews as I feel that they have a preference for warmer tilts

I agree. Campfire Audio was right next to the iBasso table at last years NYC CanJam. I tried their entire lineup with the DX200 back then and didn't like their sound. But that's just me. I was comparing the sound to my JH Angies.

May 23, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #3,900 of 13,460

Woah, thank you very much for your kind words! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back