DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #12,017 of 13,478
Interesting to see this comment. Does AMP9 has hiss on low impedance IEM ? I am using an AudioSense T800 now with 15.5ohms impedance. I noticed that Solaris is around 16ohms.

I am using a AMP7 and thinking of getting an AMP9. Both from your comment, I am wondering if it is worth it ?
I however, like a mix of live music, vocals, symphony orchestra, 60~70 pops, 80~90 syn pop, and other random new age.Thinking if AMP9 will benefit those music.

I think that whether it is worth it or not depends upon what you are looking for.
Each iBasso AMP unit has its own unique qualities.
I do feel AMP 9 is an excellent entry to the line-up, even more so since the DX220 FW that let people increase the power to it.
Plus, I love the glowing green lights on it. Does that make me shallow? haha
A bit of organic warmth and richness, smoothness; it's going to be a rather different feel than your AMP7.

So I'd say a helpful way forward would be to think about what you like and dislike about your current set up.
Are there any qualities you'd like to add/reduce?
Such questions should help you to have more clarity on whether you want to change anything and if so, what exactly you would want to change :)

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #12,018 of 13,478
I think that whether it is worth it or not depends upon what you are looking for.
Each iBasso AMP unit has its own unique qualities.
I do feel AMP 9 is an excellent entry to the line-up, even more so since the DX220 FW that let people increase the power to it.
Plus, I love the glowing green lights on it. Does that make me shallow? haha
A bit of organic warmth and richness, smoothness; it's going to be a rather different feel than your AMP7.

So I'd say a helpful way forward would be to think about what you like and dislike about your current set up.
Are there any qualities you'd like to add/reduce?
Such questions should help you to have more clarity on whether you want to change anything and if so, what exactly you would want to change :)
While i would agree on amp9 adding different flavour compared to other amp and in a quality way. I would be very careful using it on sensitive iems.
Fellow head-fier bought amp
9 from me to use with Solaris and he said he could not get over the hiss and sold it.
Again it might be just him though. I personally stay away from sensitive iems, so i did not have issues with noise even without proper burn in.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #12,019 of 13,478
Hello all
I'm an old shy lurker but not a great poster :sunglasses:
I received my DX220 last friday and all is fine, in fact not really new in Ibasso world, I've got DX80 and DX208 in the past and I really love Ibasso sound signature :k701smile:
It's about 60h burn in for now and it's sound ever great. I have a little question with Mango os it don't recognize sacd iso when I scan my sd card but if I browse the sd directory and click on the iso it works. Someone know if it's normal or some issue? It works fine under Android with Mango player or UAPP.
If I can believe my old ears it seems that Mango os>Mango player>UAPP in SQ (with Lurker add on)
Thanx
Laurent

Jun 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #12,021 of 13,478
Hi friends

I just got my DX220 in the mail today. I'm using amp 8 which is already broke in so how long does the rest of the player take to break in and will the sound improve ?
It's about 150-200 hours of burn in

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #12,022 of 13,478
While i would agree on amp9 adding different flavour compared to other amp and in a quality way. I would be very careful using it on sensitive iems.
Fellow head-fier bought amp
9 from me to use with Solaris and he said he could not get over the hiss and sold it.
Again it might be just him though. I personally stay away from sensitive iems, so i did not have issues with noise even without proper burn in.
I'm up to 40 or so hours with the AMP9 and the Solaris 2020s. The iEMatch is making a big difference. Without it, the hiss is too distracting and I prefer my AMP8 with Leo Plus. With the iEMatch and the stock Smoky Litz cable into the AMP9, I'm really starting to love the sound of things like guitars in classic rock and strings in classical. I'd say it's a marginal difference from the AMP8, and particular to the type of music, but I don't think I'm going to return the AMP9 at this point.

That said, had I never heard the AMP9, I wouldn't miss it. It is not a night and day difference from the AMP8, and I am annoyed by the right-angle iEMatch and right-angle Smoky Litz combo. Definitely first world problems, though.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #12,023 of 13,478
It is a crime to pair bad cables with good equipment.
When burning 8 EX fe, at the 50th hour there is more clarity, at the 130th there is a much better texture and sound stage. It still burns.
It is clearly noticeable that the whole sound image is choked and blurred due to bad cables.
I think the amp 8 EX is a masterpiece and has perfect synergy with the DX 220

Jun 5, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #12,024 of 13,478
well.. just enter TWS...
with strraming spotify with aptx codec... quite surprising Good...

no hic up or RF interference...
20200605_091901.jpg

Jun 5, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #12,026 of 13,478
I've never used, nor do I ever see a need to use the DX220 as a wireless source. If I'm going to listen wirelessly (and I have plenty of of wireless earphones), I might as well use my phone which is always on me. Seems to use less juice, and supports aptx, even LDAC (Samsung 10+). If I'm using the DX220, it will be for a glorious wired session.

YMMV, yada, yada, yada.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #12,027 of 13,478
Switched my dx220 amp8mod with my friend's fiio m15 for a week.
There's no clear winner between these two, only two different preference.
The m15 has a larger soundstage with more clarity on its mids and highs. My dx220 has ticker and more texture in the mids and a more relaxed high. M15 has a quicker response on its bass while dx220 has more rumble and punch.
Interesting comparison between these two.

Attachments

• IMG-20200605-WA0083.jpeg
    IMG-20200605-WA0083.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 0
Jun 5, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #12,029 of 13,478
I'm now listening to the AMP9 on DX220 with my high sensitivity Shure SE846 - and the IEMatch to increase impedance for the IEMs. Wow. Just great. I found it difficult to get involved with the Amp1 mk2, and the hiss from Amp9 without the IEMatch I couldn't tolerate. I don't have the ears and the words to describe it in clinical detail. Just that I like it. No hiss, great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back