DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #10,789 of 13,478
Im curious too about the AMP9 mod from fidelizer. he does mention the vibration damping is improved with the mod, but I also remember when amp9 came out, Paul mentioned the vibration dampers should not be messed around with since it's very carefully chosen for this particular implementation. Let's see how the impressions are for the mod.

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #10,790 of 13,478
I hope they make them soon, then someone can buy my DX220 to go with their Amp8EX

Why do you want to sell all your iBasso gear?
Previously you were a glowing iBasso fan and the first on the Amp8Ex pre order list....what happend that you changed your mind? :thinking:

Feb 5, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #10,791 of 13,478
The short story, I'm tired of Android DAP. All the early ibasso stuff is staying in my collection. My first one was the DX90. I still have it and use it and enjoy that little gem. The other ones all have a place in my routine. I've moved in the high end range to a SP2K (highly modified android os), and a Cowon PlenueL (NO android at all). Just got them both in the last week or so and listening and learning. So far I think it was a good move for me and may put a plug in the rabbit hole..

To be sure the ibasso DX220 with the Amp8-EXFE is totl dap and the sound is superb. Same goes for the DX200TI-EX/Amp8-EX prototype from @Whitigir.

There is more to the story but it has Nothing to do with my opinion of ibasso equipment.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #10,792 of 13,478
It seems there is a Japan distributor for ibasso is going to open preorder program for Amp8EX soon. Check HeadPie for details. Or PM @ExpatinJapan for details as he is in Japan and keeping watch

no no

don’t pm me.

i know nothing!

follow @musin on twitter

or pm @Whitigir fir details every second day. :)

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #10,793 of 13,478
No disrespect but iphone is not very competitive sq wise even in smartphone audio level.
How can it compare to a high end dap, let alone a moded one.

That's an interesting topic
Comparing my DX220 with my Galaxy S10's headphone jack
Of course always bigger soundstage with DX220 and often better sound quality. But the difference is smaller than expected. Sometimes, depending on the type of music, S10 can even sound cleaner and better. Sometimes S10 delivers complex music passages effortlessly and cleanly while DX220 struggles and gets congested.

Yes this is very weird. My phone probably has a very cheap, low quality and mass-fabricated inner dac/amp. On the hand, DX220 has dual ES9028PRO DAC chips, high quality amplification, a lot of stuff like oscilators and it is a device completely designed for the best audio production. So of course it must sound much much better, correct ? But the actual results are somehow very different.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #10,794 of 13,478
That's an interesting topic
Comparing my DX220 with my Galaxy S10's headphone jack
Of course always bigger soundstage with DX220 and often better sound quality. But the difference is smaller than expected. Sometimes, depending on the type of music, S10 can even sound cleaner and better. Sometimes S10 delivers complex music passages effortlessly and cleanly while DX220 struggles and gets congested.

Yes this is very weird. My phone probably has a very cheap, low quality and mass-fabricated inner dac/amp. On the hand, DX220 has dual ES9028PRO DAC chips, high quality amplification, a lot of stuff like oscilators and it is a device completely designed for the best audio production. So of course it must sound much much better, correct ? But the actual results are somehow very different.
Well you are neither wrong or right. Its just how you perceived it.
I personally think s10 is complete trash even compared to v30. Let alone to higher end dap. But this is just where we hear it different. And you are the lucky one who does not need to spend money on dap to enjoy music properly.
Also if you did compare them on some youtube quality then dap will bottleneck down in sq for sure and loose aot of potential. No Source will make bad material sound good.

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #10,795 of 13,478
If someone uses LG V50 and think dx200/220 is a little step up, I still think it might make some senses. But S10...no no no. (I also used S10+ and owned V50)

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #10,796 of 13,478
It seems there is a Japan distributor for ibasso is going to open preorder program for Amp8EX soon. Check HeadPie for details. Or PM @ExpatinJapan for details as he is in Japan and keeping watch
Hmm...maybe I should hold off keeping this DX160 after all and go after the critically claimed dx228EX

Feb 5, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #10,797 of 13,478
If someone uses LG V50 and think dx200/220 is a little step up, I still think it might make some senses. But S10...no no no. (I also used S10+ and owned V50)

I don't know the LG V50 but I'm not satisfied with the DX220's sound quality. Unlucky.
Music with vocals sound wrong.
DX220 is called "Reference DAP" but IMO it is far from reference. It doesn't produce the music as it is and dictates a certain type of sound profile. Hard to desribe. It boosts snare drums, recesses vocals and adds some weird high frequency grain. Apparently a lot of people like it which is fine. But DX220 is certainly not a reference DAP.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #10,798 of 13,478
I don't know the LG V50 but I'm not satisfied with the DX220's sound quality. Unlucky.
DX220 is called "Reference DAP" but IMO it is far from reference. It doesn't produce the music as it is and dictates a certain type of sound profile. Hard to desribe. It boosts snare drums, recesses vocals and adds some weird high frequency grain. Apparently a lot of people like which is fine. But DX220 is certainly not a reference DAP.

I don't think it has recessed vocal. I still think there is something wrong on your unit. I do believe you should send the unit back for checking.

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #10,799 of 13,478
is the Quad dac will functional as quad dac if plug with Low impedance IEM ? I know if plug with Headphone it will be fully Quad DAC.. CMIIW...
or need to work around like the previous V30 ...

Feb 5, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #10,800 of 13,478
DX220 is called "Reference DAP" but IMO it is far from reference. It doesn't produce the music as it is and dictates a certain type of sound profile. Hard to desribe. It boosts snare drums, recesses vocals and adds some weird high frequency grain. Apparently a lot of people like it which is fine. But DX220 is certainly not a reference DAP.

I'm not disregarding what you're hearing, but out of curiosity, what are you using as a reference to say that the 220 is not reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back