DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 11, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #9,376 of 13,478
Lazy Linky at the end:

- its an extra. But what the hell.
Less for flexy, bought it more cos smexy.
Hope it allows for cooling.

I have some thin cooling inserts (thermal pads) coming as well from another source.

Linky:
http://m.dignisdesign.com/product/felix-ibasso-dx220-leather-case/268/?cate_no=84&display_group=1

Already asked my friend to bring it directly from Korea and will get it early next month. I'm afraid someday Dignis will come out with red color the one I like :wink:

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #9,377 of 13,478
Looking forward to a change, hopefully it wont get lost in the house with the new cover.

7D7425F3-D00C-4B0F-90B0-28338B53264B.jpeg

Back to basics?
iBasso DX220/amp 8, 4.4mm CA Smokey Litz Cable and Campfire Audio Andromeda

Dec 12, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #9,378 of 13,478
Can someone else please help me ? I have a serious question.....why some people care and complained so much of about howmuch a DAP is priced, or the Amp Module pricing.... but careless about spending their money on fancy cables and I am talking about cables that cost 2X-3x the price of DX228EX combo ? Does the cables make wonderful heavenly sound on their own ? I know my Dx228 makes wonderful sound even with Walmart cheapest wires

I honestly do not understand

Dec 12, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #9,379 of 13,478
Can someone else please help me ? I have a serious question.....why some people care and complained so much of about howmuch a DAP is priced, or the Amp Module pricing.... but careless about spending their money on fancy cables and I am talking about cables that cost 2X-3x the price of DX228EX combo ? Does the cables make wonderful heavenly sound on their own ? I know my Dx228 makes wonderful sound even with Walmart cheapest wires

I'm not vcomplaining about the price of the DX220 but love cable rolling. It's all part of the fun. There is a limit to what I wil spend though. Cables do make a difference - if you care for it. If you don't, fine. Move along!

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #9,380 of 13,478

Dear @Whitigir,
what is point of your question? Bashing people? Praising your Dx228?
The easiest way to get answer is to ask people doing that.

For deeper understanding - study psychology :)
Start with values. Example - other people values are no better then yours. And vice versa.
They are just different :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #9,381 of 13,478

Hey Vince! I am one of those people. This is a hobby buddy. Addiction of enjoying musics is one the causes! Some people are often rolling cables just like they are rolling tubes in their high end stereo system. That makes them happy and release stressful life maybe?!

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #9,382 of 13,478
hehehe... Cable can be toxic and addictive when you know... but again it depends on each end (IEM and DAP).
Don't expect sonic SQ change only by changing Exotic cable... what I mean, u really need all the good stuff back it up like IEM, DAP, Flac Song etc...
for my case, in order, IEM, DAP, Song file, Eartip and cable.... based in order which affect the SQ...
anyway, IMHO

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #9,383 of 13,478
so sorry, double post...

well since I did wrong (double post) and discuss my kind of topic, Cable...

20191206_125732.jpg
20191206_130601.jpg
Here is Rosenkranz Cable... Yeah I know, the exotix material is like LAN CABLE... really stiff & Eye candy.
The magic, is the best cable if you looking for Separation... It really segregate the Gap to have more distance... Not all people want these...
must Try to believe... Not only Japan have Some mummbo Jumbo... German also... hahaha.. anyway just sharing

And the cost is 2x of DX228... Hahaha

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #9,384 of 13,478
Guys, I think you misunderstand my intentions.

I am the kind that Sound quality is everything, and I not only am talking, thinking of ways to improving my systems, but also experimenting physically with both hardware and software alike.

I do understand that cables make the differences, and also solder....etc....

my question is thatI do not understand the point when someone is paying for a cables that can cost $3,000+ while complaining about the Dx220 and Amp8 which is below $1200. My point is that in order to engineer a DAP and tune it right, it takes a lot of developments and researches, while cables don’t.

Do you know why I am asking this question ? Here is why

1/ Cables makes the differences, and there are different in constructions, the braiding, the strands counts, the gauges differences, the materials....etc...

2/ next up, there are different soldering, different techniques, different plugs, and different materials of plugs....

3/ Then all 2 of the above will become a final products. See ? Everything effects the sound in the end, so your cables have to have the Synergies, the Harmony within it designed philosophies, and design languages. It has to be Aiming at a specific type of signatures, with a goals in mine, to complete a specific and unique system that has the “Synergires” to go well with it

4/ because of all of the above. I came to a conclusion that it is foolish to think there is 1 universal cables to be able to take care of all systems. There is no such thing, regardless of the costs

This is the reason why I no longer care about making expensive cables anymore. It is not that I do not want to, but I have too many systems, and I don’t want to keep on plugging and unplugging an IEMS or my Dear Headphones. Why ? Because plugging and unplugging as an action can take a toll on your devices on both ends. Yes, we are talking about the extensions of the damages that would take places over the course of months/years....etc...

So, let’s take a step back, and look again at the picture. This is my conclusion

Authentic OCC is adequate that does everything generally well enough, that can act as universal because the goal here is to find something universal and minimizing the plug and unplugging actions. The rest of the system would be tinkering with other stuff, such as Different DAP, different OS, different Upgrades elsewhere .....

Under my views, if someone is buying $3000 cables. That cables have to come with

1/ A specific number of warranty on labors....not timing specific, not a year or 12 months. The warranty have to guarantee that you are covered for the next 12 times of reterminating to upgrade your worn out plugs, and or changes of system synergies. You could even count that the cables have 4 plugs, and you only need to replace or reterminated the whole thing 3x in total...and whatever other conditions.

2/ Have to provide a specially detailed “certifications” explaining carefully as of What system (DAP, DAC) and what gears (IEMS, Headphones)....the psychology behind the System signatures in contrast of the Gears being used signatures, and the improvements that each cables could bring. Then add in this line “We also accept personal request for a more detailed synergies and detailed catering toward personal preferences. Please contact us to get more specific”

***After all*** we are all proud of our own personal preferences don’t we ?

How else are you so sure that you are buying a cables that really is made for your systems ? How are you so sure that they really conduct the listening experiments to show you the “certificate” as mentioned ? If not, scratch them out of the list....

with fancy marketing, someone can braid up a cables with fancy wires, and claim it does this and does that, and asking $3000+ ? They don’t even have to prove that the cables went through this listening sessions and tuning to match what ?

Cables, after all, is just Braided wires (my wife braids my daughter hair every day).....and then Simple soldering (any high school kids who is learning basic electrical stuff can do...or heck, I can show someone in 5 minutes)....

Yes, that is my views for Upgraded cables, and I am totally Honest. Otherwise, if a cables vendor can not meet the above requirements. Such cables can not be priced at such astronomical pricing

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #9,385 of 13,478
Hi all,

i have encountered an issue with my DX220 unit.
The issue is that my SD card got corrupted 2 times and both time the circumstances were identical and reproducible.
i also run thorough check of the card and it did not show any bad sectors or anything.
The card is Samsung EVO Plus 512 GB microSDXC UHS-I U3, bought from official dealer about 4 months ago. I use it for about 80% of capacity.
it was working fine until recently.

The corruption happened both times like this:
1) I use unit as DAC from MangoOS. after i finish listening, i just leave the unit so it powers off automatically.
2) next time i turn it on, the unit loads to Android, not to Mango, the battery is literally empty, and Android immediately reports that the SD card is corrupted and needs formatting. Looks like something is happening in-between, maybe unit does not go off as it should if not used, and it drains the battery, and it affects SD card somehow in this cycle.

when i copy all the files over, it works with no single problem, i mean the copying. So, the issue is not in SD card.

I have the latest firmware, no mods or anything. I did factory reset, but it happened again after i did it, and the circumstances were exactly the same - Mango -> DAC -> drained battery -> next time loads Android and the card is gone bust.

Another small issue that happens sometimes - when i use the unit as DAC from Mango, sometimes it automatically powers off even if i am actively using it, i mean i listen to a song at the moment.

Has anyone encountered issues like this?

I forgot to mention, it started happening after the last firmware update.
i did like this (i mean leave unit to power off from Mango DAC mode) many times in the previous version of firmware, and it was all fine.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #9,386 of 13,478
Hi all,

i have encountered an issue with my DX220 unit.
The issue is that my SD card got corrupted 2 times and both time the circumstances were identical and reproducible.
i also run thorough check of the card and it did not show any bad sectors or anything.
The card is Samsung EVO microSDHC class 10 512Gb, bought from official dealer about 4 months ago. I use it for about 80% of capacity.
it was working fine until recently.

The corruption happened both times like this:
1) I use unit as DAC from MangoOS. after i finish listening, i just leave the unit so it powers off automatically.
2) next time i turn it on, the unit loads to Android, not to Mango, the battery is literally empty, and Android immediately reports that the SD card is corrupted and needs formatting. Looks like something is happening in-between, maybe unit does not go off as it should if not used, and it drains the battery, and it affects SD card somehow in this cycle.

when i copy all the files over, it works with no single problem, i mean the copying. So, the issue is not in SD card.

I have the latest firmware, no mods or anything. I did factory reset, but it happened again after i did it, and the circumstances were exactly the same - Mango -> DAC -> drained battery -> next time loads Android and the card is gone bust.

Another small issue that happens sometimes - when i use the unit as DAC from Mango, sometimes it automatically powers off even if i am actively using it, i mean i listen to a song at the moment.

Has anyone encountered issues like this?

I forgot to mention, it started happening after the last firmware update.
i did like this (i mean leave unit to power off from Mango DAC mode) many times in the previous version of firmware, and it was all fine.
Please try the Android Tool, img firmware and the USB/DAC driver for Windows on the first page to reformat and load the firmware to your DX220. You can then update to the latest firmware and see if this helps. We have not had this issue reported before but it is possible the firmware of the DX220 needs to be reinstalled and the best way is to use the Android Tool in this case.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #9,387 of 13,478
Please try the Android Tool, img firmware and the USB/DAC driver for Windows on the first page to reformat and load the firmware to your DX220. You can then update to the latest firmware and see if this helps. We have not had this issue reported before but it is possible the firmware of the DX220 needs to be reinstalled and the best way is to use the Android Tool in this case.

Thank you, Paul!
I will give it a try!

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #9,388 of 13,478
So a few days ago I finally reverted my FW back to 1.13.202 (from Sept 2019) primarily due to the issues I reported with 1.15.233 related to a huge drop in playing volume with EQ on. It was certainly a challenging obstacle course to navigate to revert back - several attempts to install the older FW over the newest with the reported system message that was not allowed. Had success with using the Android Tool that Paul listed in the first post of this thread and going back to an older img file downloaded directly from iBasso website then had to upgrade to the 1.13.202. There's a few hours of my life I won't get back :beerchug:!

Very happy I reverted - sound is back to the much beloved, exceptional level.

An interesting, unanticipated side-effect of going through this process is that the temperature of my DX220 has dropped significantly during use!!! I am talking about going from around 105ºF on the top panel near the power button to about 85ºF max. Waiting to confirm if the battery life has improved as well since my initial observation is 30% battery life consumed in 2 hours of listening where I was seeing 40% used. Not sure exactly why this has happened - @Paul - iBasso - maybe something to share with the iBasso team to see if there is a logical/rational explanation. All of my prior FW updates were incremental via OTA except for one of the updates that was done via download to internal memory.

Just thought I would share. Anyone else seen this?

Cheers,
Tim

Dec 12, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #9,390 of 13,478
Is there a problem with the latest fw from iBasso? I will get a dx220 in a few days, I bought it cheaper, it is a sealed product. I was thinking of installing the latest software update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back