DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #7,171 of 13,478
Does anyone know a way to check which codec is being used by an iPad?

Does your DX220 use a codec other than SBC with your MacBook itself?

My USB DAC problems seem to be related to the thunderbolt confusion mentioned above with recent, all USB-C MacBook pros. But the mystery of the bluetooth connections remains.

Ipad is always AAC, you have no choices....but even if you do, nothing will outperform a real authentic WAV rip from CD or a direct ISO rip from SACD

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,172 of 13,478
Does anyone know a way to check which codec is being used by an iPad?

Does your DX220 use a codec other than SBC with your MacBook itself?

My USB DAC problems seem to be related to the thunderbolt confusion mentioned above with recent, all USB-C MacBook pros. But the mystery of the bluetooth connections remains.
Well, I don't have with me my DX220 but as far as I get it at home I can try and give to you an answer

In any case, with Fiio Q5 im using the SBC by default but I forced to use the aptX using the additional developer tools provided by Apple

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #7,173 of 13,478
Ipad is always AAC, you have no choices....but even if you do, nothing will outperform a real authentic WAV rip from CD or a direct ISO rip from SACD

Right, but sometimes bluetooth is necessary (like when my DX220 also doesn't work as a USB DAC like my DX200 used to). This is why I'm interested in solving the issues :)

I suppose possible my DX220 may have a hardware issue impacting bluetooth.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #7,174 of 13,478
Well, I don't have with me my DX220 but as far as I get it at home I can try and give to you an answer

In any case, with Fiio Q5 im using the SBC by default but I forced to use the aptX using the additional developer tools provided by Apple

I tried the force AptX thing using the developer tools, but still shows me an SBC connection.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #7,176 of 13,478
Right, but sometimes bluetooth is necessary (like when my DX220 also doesn't work as a USB DAC like my DX200 used to). This is why I'm interested in solving the issues :)

Even if you have Bluetooth working with other device and not your MAC, then the only culprit with faulty hardware maybe your MAC. It either works, or it doesn’t ....seeing your DX220 has working Bluetooth in SBC, then it isn’t DX220 that bring you the problems

Also, AAC means Apple Audio Codec....so...unless it isn’t Apple

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #7,177 of 13,478
I'm curious about Amp8 compared to Amp1mk2. Looking at the specs, Amp8 seems about even (worse on few specs) compared to Amp1Mk2. Is there a sound improvement going from Amp1Mk2 2.5mm balanced to Amp8? I take it that Amp8 uses the available real estate for fully balanced topology? Any thoughts/impressions?

I like the finesse and cleanliness of Amp1Mk2 with my sensitive IEMs but it could use some more body to the sound sometimes. Amp9 satisfies the sound but I give up on the hiss with my IEMs. So now wondering if Amp8 could fill that void.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #7,178 of 13,478
Even if you have Bluetooth working with other device and not your MAC, then the only culprit with faulty hardware maybe your MAC. It either works, or it doesn’t ....seeing your DX220 has working Bluetooth in SBC, then it isn’t DX220 that bring you the problems

Also, AAC means Apple Audio Codec....so...unless it isn’t Apple

It’s only working with SBC on my Mac. Given that the audio seems to lag when connected my iPad for watching a video, I suspect my DX220 is connecting to the fallback SBC codec on the iPad.

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #7,179 of 13,478
I'm curious about Amp8 compared to Amp1mk2. Looking at the specs, Amp8 seems about even (worse on few specs) compared to Amp1Mk2. Is there a sound improvement going from Amp1Mk2 2.5mm balanced to Amp8? I take it that Amp8 uses the available real estate for fully balanced topology? Any thoughts/impressions?

I like the finesse and cleanliness of Amp1Mk2 with my sensitive IEMs but it could use some more body to the sound sometimes. Amp9 satisfies the sound but I give up on the hiss with my IEMs. So now wondering if Amp8 could fill that void.

I suggest you to use the “search this thread” features as shown
D6C0979C-254F-4410-A25C-420B78B2AF67.jpeg

Aug 1, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #7,180 of 13,478

The AMP8 being a discrete component amp sounds different but I enjoy both. There is so much more than measurements. Some of the poorest measuring amps I have seen, well a couple, have been the best I have heard. It depends upon where an amp is measuring poorly that will matter more that all of the measurements in general. IMO.

Aug 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #7,181 of 13,478
I suggest you to use the “search this thread” features as shown

Thanks! Should do my basic research :)

The AMP8 being a discrete component amp sounds different but I enjoy both. There is so much more than measurements. Some of the poorest measuring amps I have seen, well a couple, have been the best I have heard. It depends upon where an amp is measuring poorly that will matter more that all of the measurements in general. IMO.

Thanks! I don't think spec/measurement is everything, hence my question.

I'm in a 3rd week noob with dx220 so trying to get a grip on what all the amps are :)

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #7,182 of 13,478
Thought I would share some information on charging rates achieved on my DX220. Recently purchased a Power-Z KT001 USB Power Meter and coupled with my Anker PowerPort II PD charger achieved the following results. Note that the Anker charger supports PD and their own PIQ (equivalent to QC) protocols and therefore charge the DX220 at the fastest rate. Charge rates for the Anker are PIQ 5V/3A, 9V/2A, 12V/1.5A and PD 5V/3A, 9V/3A, 15V/2A, 20V/1.5A and I used the stock iBasso cable as well as high quality 100 W/5 A USB C cables for the connections.

I tested at 2 different states of charge, 55% and 8%, on my DX220 and obtained similar maximum charge rates:

From 55%
PIQ (QC): 8.89 V and 1.20 A = 10.67 W
PD: 9.10 V and 0.86 A = 7.83 W

From 8%
PIQ (QC): 8.96 V and 1.14 A = 10.22 W
PD: 9.11 V and 0.81 A = 7.38 W

Note that the testing at 55% was when I first turned my DX220 on - so it was at room temperature. The 8% was after using the DX220 for an hour+ and at normal operating temperature (warm to touch) so my guess is the charge rate is reduced by the DX220 to minimize risk of battery damage, etc.

From these results the PIQ (QC) protocol charges at a significantly faster rate and from 8% to 100% took 2 hours & 33 minutes and a total of 2295mAh was supplied.

Hope you all find this information useful. If anyone else has tested please feel free to share results.

Cheers,
Tim

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #7,183 of 13,478
I have recently ordered the DX220 and very much looking forward to it. Naive question but one that’s on my mind. Bluetooth seems to be limited to LDAC and Aptx. I don’t have LDAC headphones,but have three aptxhd capable headsets,all awesome I might add. Does anyone know the rationale behind leaving out Aptx HD? The very best wireless headphones do not have LDAC although I accept Sony have made a very good headphone,so,with such a well specced dap, there must be a rationale. Does Bluetooth 5 somehow compensate for the higher compression rate of standard apt x?
Audeze Mobius have LDAC and good sounding for its price)

Aug 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #7,184 of 13,478
Audeze Mobius have LDAC and good sounding for its price)
Yes,thank you. Although primarily a gaming headset? A ridiculously good one. But I have Bowers and Wilkins PX,AudioTechnica DSR 9BT,Amiron Home Wireless. All Aptx hd and,in my humble opinion,the very best wireless headphones. Just an opinion of course. It might be Bluetooth 5 makes apt x hd less relevant,not sure. But I am sure ibasso will have thought this through.

Aug 1, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #7,185 of 13,478

It may be a Mac thing - I had to force an AptX connection with a Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 I auditioned when used with my MacBook. Used a terminal command (google is your friend). I haven’t bothered trying to run the DX220 as a DAC yet - suspect I should be fine with my older, USB-A port MacBook though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back