1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX220 A new view to your music. * Latest Firmware: 1.15.233 Local * Link for User Guide 1st Page. AMP9 Now available! And DC01.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Paul - iBasso, Jan 23, 2019.
First

Back
419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428
430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439
Next

Last
  1. edwardsean
    Well, I'm just making friends all over the place tonight. Please know that there is a smile on my face as I write this. Even though we disagree, I hope we can have a productive and illuminating exchange that will be mutually beneficial and helpful to others. I want to respect your perspective, even though it may be, and in fact, is wrong.

I'm so sorry. I'm joking. It's 5am here, I'm sleep deprived and I'm wanting to play. Honestly, seriously, no disrespect. Our common passion already should make us friends.

Let me say again: the 4.4 is my. favorite connector that the audio world has ever produced. Like yourself, I do care very much about high grade components, and suspect that we share a belief that they do matter in terms of SQ. I don't share the notion that a $2 Radioshack (R.I.P) connector sounds no different than a $75 Furutech rhodium plated copper alloy conductor. I don't think the quality is just marketing, or even just about robust longevity, I value it for its sonic performance.

Having said that, I think that is actually the secondary point. We're talking about the design, at least I was, not the present implementation. 4.4 has had a bit of time now to produce some high quality, well constructed models. 3.5 pro is the new kid, and I think the best producers of connectors are waiting to see if it gains traction before they commit R&D resources. If it does, I'm sure we will see connectors of equally high caliber.

It is about the format, and we've all felt the pinch of being caught up in the turf war over who controls the balanced connectors: 2.5mm, 4.4, Kobiconn for heaven's sake, and now 3.5pro? But, I don't think we should be short sighted and asses which one is the best by the quality of presently available plugs. Whoever wins will make the best sounding, highest quality plugs. They'll have the best builders researching metals, materials, shielding, cryogenic processing!, and how best to construct and exploit the design. But, again which design.

I honestly don't know if the number of contact points is intrinsic to the difference between 4.4. and 3.5pro or just the present poor quality 3.5 pro connectors. I don't know if a high quality 3.5 pro connector might remedy the situation you flagged with better contact geometry. To be honest with you, I'm not sure how much real world difference it would make, as long as the single contact was made of the best materials and constructed to the highest of tolerances.

Also, I actually don't take the difference in diameter between 3.5mm and 4.4mm too seriously one way or the other. When I said the 3.5mm had a slimmer profile I just meant for a portable device–all things being even–I would rather have something smaller, but that the 2.5 does make me nervous. I do agree with you, if the–design–of the 4.4 actually produced a sonic benefit over the–design–of the 3.5pro, I'd take it in a heart beat. But, that's a tough sell, I think a Furutech made 3.5 pro would sound as good as a Furutech 4.4 (I like Furutech), and you wouldn't be able to tell them apart sonically.

What I do know is that–one–plug that can fit both SE or balanced amps would be of a clear real world benefit and would get my vote to swing in that direction as an actual step forward. If that's missing the forest for the tree, well, that's a good tree. And I'm saying if that tree gets planted a whole industry of piug designers will grow a new forest, a better forest (huge, silly, sleepy smile).

All the best to you Nanaholic, sincerely.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. bahamot
    Fresh from the courier :ksc75smile:
    IMG_20190715_191301.jpg

IMG_20190715_191349.jpg

IMG_20190715_192421.jpg

3. icefalkon
    Welcome to the AMP9 club!

bahamot likes this.
  4. bsphong
    After more 50hrs listening with amp9. I saw that amp9 has amazing quality if triggered by dx220's stock amp( * ). It is not only very, very louder, but punchier, more sublime. Drive high impedence easily, as with my Ve Zen 300 ohms. If dx220 be restated, driving Ve Zen become very difficult, even with high gain mode. With low impedence iems, the "waterfall" background noise can be detected easily, but not cause distraction when playing.
    Until now, my amp9 passed more 30 hrs with the triggered stock amp mode and continue to be listened by its amazing sound quality, it is only more and more better. I've not seen any signal that my amp9 will fail :)

(*). That is power on dx200 with stock amp and then insert amp9 without power off. Voltage feed stock amp will be the best trigger source for feeding amp9.
    I saw that amp9's true power can only triggered by stock amp, can not use amp8 to trigger amp9.

5. kalo86
    What do you mean when you say "stock amp mode" on AMP9?

6. AndrewH13
    Amp9 replaces stock amp, as does amp8 or any other module. They cannot be used in tandem!

Dobrescu George likes this.
  7. bsphong
    Stock amp mode is my definition to different using amp1, 3...8 to trigger amp9 :). With my experience, replacing amp8 by amp9 not make amp9 louder as with stock amp.

8. Jester0fTortuga
    Are you talking about hot swapping the amps? Isn't this not a great idea?

9. fokta
    @edwardsean @SteveOliver
    Nice discussion...
    Quite a good perspective and view...

20190715_184421.jpg
    While the guys here is having fun with their AmP9...

SteveOliver likes this.
  10. bsphong
    Yes, great inventions maybe originated by accident events :). I inserted amp9 in wrong way, but I saw it made amp9 show a very great musical potential.
    Hope new firmware will help amp9 show its true potential and I dont need stock amp to trigger amp9 again.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  11. bsphong
    20190715_201913.jpg
    Amp9 can drive Ve Zen 300 ohms easily. It is its true capacity. With my Noble katana, the "waterfall" background noise can be detected easily, but not cause distraction when playing. Amp9 has the very amazing sound quality.

claud W likes this.
  12. Paulo Abreu
    This is not new. I remember someone writing a while ago that swaping from AMP1mk2 to AMP9 without disconnecting DX220 would make it louder.
    I wouldn't do it in any instance. I don't think the actual volume of AMP9 such as iBasso set on boot wasn't done by mistake but by design. Did you ask iBasso if there is a risk of blowing up AMP9 or seriously reducing its life expectancy?
    My 2 cents

13. icefalkon
    Respectfully...are you out of your mind??

Please guys do not hot swap your AMP modules!

#crazy

lol

Whitigir likes this.
  14. bsphong
    Yes. It is my experience and choice. It is difference with you. I accept a price to have the best quality of amp9 :)
    With my opinion, I dont recommend someone buy amp9 if new firmware not improve its true potential. They should buy amp8 or wait amp10 :)

15. bahamot
    Dead silent background with Tanchjim Oxygen and AMP9. Love the combo:ksc75smile:

First

Back
419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428
430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439
Next

Last