DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #9,362 of 13,460
-EQ on or off doesn't affect the bit perfect output.

The Mango OS is based on Linux OS. Android and Linux are two different OSs. There are lot of differences between the Android Mango Player and the Mango OS.

When using Android OS, there are many APPS working on the background. The CPU has more burdens/tasks. With Mango OS, the CPU is dedicated for the Mango, so the sound is can be different and can be better.
If an OS can't multi-task/multi-thread properly wouldn't you hear stuttering with the music? The one's and zero's either reach the intended destination or not. I'm not sure the load on the CPU by multiple apps is the reason there is a different sound signature from the Android Mango Player vs the Mango OS. I think it's something else.

If a CPU has 4 threads and there are 16 apps running, then the O/S will use an algorithm to allocate a thread to an app that needs it (thread pool). There is a "cost" for this thread switching.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #9,364 of 13,460
The explanation of a busy CPU having to deal with multiple apps as being a reason for sound quality difference between android and Mango also doesn’t fit my bill. i.e. a digital picture converted with engine X in camera delivers the same output as the same engine in a lousy PC even if it takes ages to convert. Surely sound can’t wait and the deliverable has a constant deadline, to deal with that one can use a different algorithm hence a different output. Newer fastest processors in digital cameras are now delivering better pictures from the same “older” sensors because now they don’t have to “cheat” so much to write a big high quality image in acceptable time... by other words a different algorithm...

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #9,365 of 13,460
Anyway, apart from the busy CPU under the Android OS, the sound quality is determined by the DAC and circuit board. Therefore, imho, there is a different management of the DAC in Mango OS and Android OS.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #9,366 of 13,460
The explanation of a busy CPU having to deal with multiple apps as being a reason for sound quality difference between android and Mango also doesn’t fit my bill. i.e. a digital picture converted with engine X in camera delivers the same output as the same engine in a lousy PC even if it takes ages to convert. Surely sound can’t wait and the deliverable has a constant deadline, to deal with that one can use a different algorithm hence a different output. Newer fastest processors in digital cameras are now delivering better pictures from the same “older” sensors because now they don’t have to “cheat” so much to write a big high quality image in acceptable time... by other words a different algorithm...
That makes sense, and understandable.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #9,367 of 13,460
I am with Paul. The same algorithms can still make the DAC And the system as a whole to behave different, under different OS. It rely a lot on many other components, and factors, power delivery, the timing....etc. Therefore, if the CPU is being effected, then the whole system itself is effected. It is as simple as that.

However, due to OS compatibility, I think the Mango in Android is different than the MangoOS itself.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #9,368 of 13,460
New DX220 leather case from Dignis

28471D3A-763F-40E3-A808-B9CBDD713DF8.png

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #9,373 of 13,460
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #9,374 of 13,460

Users who are viewing this thread

Back