1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DX220 A new view to your music. * Latest Firmware: 1.13.202 Local * Link for User Guide 1st Page. AMP9 Now available! And DC01.

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Paul - iBasso, Jan 23, 2019.
First

Back
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604
Next

Last
  1. arftech
    Thank you and I thanks you some more!

ExpatinJapan likes this.
  2. jamato8 Contributor
    Single ended has the grounds to a common point. Balanced, has what would be grounds, using the negative voltage. What some adapters do is the take the balanced output to an adapter and then use resistors on the negative side to tie them to ground. With the resistors, they keep the negative side of the amp from seeing a direct to ground but I would never use these anyway. Use the right cable for the amp.

3. Hard Head
    You are absolutely correct.

4. highfell
    “ so unless your headphones aren’t balanced this AMP isn’t for you. ........That’s what I don’t understand.

1. You can go from Balanced to SE - by getting an adaptor from balanced 4.4 to SE 3.5

2. Attach your headphones using your 3.5 normal connector.

So why can’t I do that ? (BTW i understand that I won’t be hearing a balanced output , but that doesn’t worry me

5. highfell
    I am not looking to go SE to balanced.

So is the IBasso 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm adapter built to work with a Balanced output that isn’t a Balanced - 4 conductor

6. Hard Head
    ???
    I think there's some confusion here: either on my part, your part, or both...

There isn't any "balanced output that isn't a....4-conductor". Balanced means separate and isolated ground leads for each channel, necessitating 4 conductors.

The adapter you linked to is not for a "balanced output". It's for connecting headphones with a balanced cable to a DAP with a single-ended output (look at the male plug... 3 contact points means single-ended, or non-balanced). If you're looking to take a balanced output (say from the iBasso Amp8) and adapt it to headphones with a single-ended cable, that's a big no-no. And, you probably won't find an adapter to do it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    highfell likes this.
  7. ExpatinJapan
    391AE71F-23F0-46A8-A682-B4D5E621A4B6.jpeg

iBasso DX220, amp8 and Meze Rai Penta

*waiting for Godot, aka Amp8eX

:)

8. singleended5863
    I am eyeing the Meze Raí Penta too. How do they sound with DX228. Have you tried with amp9?

ExpatinJapan likes this.
  9. icefalkon
    I'm using the DX220EX + AMP8EX + Meze Rai Penta...sounds amazing!

ExpatinJapan, kdphan and Whitigir like this.
  10. highfell
    My bad. I incorrectly assumed it was for connecting to SE headphones
    Thanks for the update. I was indeed looking to put my single ended cable from my various headphones into an adaptor but I will take your and Whitigir’s earlier advice and sadly not buy the Amp8-EX.

It is confusing though. And even on Amazon there appears to be an adaptor that says it is possible and seemingly OK to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geekria-Balanced-Gold-Plated-Adapter-NW-WM1A-Gold/dp/B075165H2M

In which they quote this :

• 4.4 mm M to 3.5 mm F convert adapter lets your 4.4mm output devices work with 3.5mm NOT ONLY balanced BUT ALSO the stereo headphones, earphones.

11. gr8soundz
    I wouldn't recommend that adapter. Imo (from experience), Geekria might be another word for garbage. Search long enough and you'll find someone selling exactly what you're looking for even if it doesn't work 100% (or could cause damage over time; no cheap $15 adapter is worth risking expensive gear).

Converting balanced to single-ended can be confusing but just keep in mind that it only works (safely) one way because you need an equal or greater number of channels when connecting to an output. Since a balanced headphone out uses 4 signals (hence TRRS or 4-pole), connecting a 3-pole TRS to it leaves 1 output signal with nowhere to go but back into the player (imagine an endless, looping short circuit within your DAP. How long before something goes wrong?). Afaik, no adapter or converter can fully account for that rogue signal nor remedy such an imbalance.

On the other hand, adapting balanced headphones to work with a single-ended player is possible because 4 is greater than 3. The headphone and cable (with the right adapter of course) would have more than enough channels for the signal.

highfell likes this.
  12. highfell
    Thanks for the further explanation - very clear and helpful. Love your first paragraph- so true

13. ExpatinJapan
    Always the option to buy one of the balanced cables to 4.4mm or 2.5mm for your iem earphones
    and get the Amp8ex
    and then an adapter if needed (if you buy 2.5mm).

decent cables can be quite affordable these days

@highfell

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    highfell and fokta like this.
  14. Shawnb

What adds to the confusion is 3.5mm connectors can come SE or Balanced. Why they designed it that way I’ll never know.

15. DaYooper
First

Back
585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594
596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604
Next

Last