DX220 A new view to your music. *** LATEST FW: 1.19 Local *** Link for User Guide 1st Page.
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #8,896 of 13,478
Nice looking adapter. I've always found the iBasso ones are great. I also have the Japanese one....Mura...something that I use.

Thanks man, I have the IBasso 2.5 to 3.5 and love it. I do really like the small footprint of the DD audio ones.

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #8,898 of 13,478
The DD one look awesome actually. But I do wonder, is it ribbon cable inside ? Or is it solid conductor traces.

I was looking at 2.5 to 4.4 adapter recently and saw the DD. I took that it uses ribbon cable inside so I stayed away. If you must, I’m inclined with iBasso straight one or Cayin L shape.

In the end, for me to make fair comparison between 2.5 amps and 4.4 amps, I bought two cables of the same composition/length but terminated with 2.5 and 4.4 and avoid the adapter all together.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #8,899 of 13,478
There is amp7 which is a single ended amp module. It is also discrete in design but that is an entirely other topic and matters.

Amp8 is balanced connection only. To keep the confusion away, I recommend to use any balanced headphones and cables with Amp8 only. Otherwise, you will damage your amp module

I realise you know far more about the technicalities than I do, and I am not wishing to challenge you unnecessarily, but Ibasso themselves do a balanced to single ended adaptor ie the CA01

http://ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=6027#page1

Doesn’t this mean that if you get the right adaptor , then you should have no worries.

Or are you saying that the AMP8-Ex because of its design needs to be treated differently.

Thanks for your response.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #8,901 of 13,478
I realise you know far more about the technicalities than I do, and I am not wishing to challenge you unnecessarily, but Ibasso themselves do a balanced to single ended adaptor ie the CA01

Doesn’t this mean that if you get the right adaptor , then you should have no worries.

Or are you saying that the AMP8-Ex because of its design needs to be treated differently.

The AMP8 module...and the AMP8EX use 4.4mm connections. iBasso does not make a 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female. I don't think anyone does...but I may be wrong.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #8,903 of 13,478

That adapter doesn't break the cardinal rule of converting single-ended to balanced.

Here's the lowdown:

DAP/Single Ended output (TRS connector) > Adapter > Balanced Headphone Cable = OK.

DAP/Balanced output (TRRS connector) > Anything other than balanced (i.e. Single-ended TRS)... adapter/headphone/etc. = NOT OK. Will damage amp.

Rule of thumb: If the output is Balanced (4 conductor), it must stay balanced all the way to the headphone. You MUST NOT short the ground leads.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #8,904 of 13,478

You can go Balanced to SE, you can't go SE to Balanced as you'll damage the AMP. So unless you're headphones are balanced this AMP isn't for you.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #8,905 of 13,478
That adapter doesn't break the cardinal rule of converting single-ended to balanced.

Here's the lowdown:

DAP/Single Ended output (TRS connector) > Adapter > Balanced Headphone Cable = OK.

DAP/Balanced output (TRRS connector) > Anything other than balanced (i.e. Single-ended TRS)... adapter/headphone/etc. = NOT OK. Will damage amp.

Rule of thumb: If the output is Balanced (4 conductor), it must stay balanced all the way to the headphone. You MUST NOT short the ground leads.

I get that but why do they make all these crazy adaptors that will allow you to go balanced towards single ended or the other way? I’m confused. I guess it’s just better to get a cable with termination you need.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #8,906 of 13,478
I get that but why do they make all these crazy adaptors that will allow you to go balanced towards single ended or the other way? I’m confused. I guess it’s just better to get a cable with termination you need.

I don't know of any manufacturer that makes an adapter to go from balanced on the DAP end to single-ended on the headphone side. That is prohibited by most (if not all) amp manufacturers, and would void any warranty in the event the amp is damaged.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #8,907 of 13,478

It's safe to go Balanced to SE hence the need for adapters. They really shouldn't be any made that go the other way.

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #8,908 of 13,478
I don't know of any manufacturer that makes an adapter to go from balanced on the DAP end to single-ended on the headphone side. That is prohibited by most (if not all) amp manufacturers, and would void any warranty in the event the amp is damaged.

So that I understand. If you have an earphone that is cabled up with a SE connection there is no adapter on the market that will make it balanced? You have to buy a balanced cable but if your cable is already balanced you can buy an adapter that will make it SE to a DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back