DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Sep 21, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #8,868 of 22,019
Difference is only subtle comparing 320kbps mp3 and 16/44 flac. U want better clearer difference? Go for DSD
I can hear a big difference between 320kbps and 16/44 flac. DSD is very expensive for my wallet, but I think I will buy the new albums with that format :wink:
Does DX200 support any kind of DSD file? Because I see you can buy different qualities of DSD files.

Sep 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #8,869 of 22,019
Does DX200 support any kind of DSD file?
DX200 supports DSD64, DSD128, DSD256. MangoPlayer supports .dff and .dsf file formats (.dsf is better because it supports tagging). It may play SACD ISO images, but their support is not good. There are 3rd party apps that play them all, but it requires a custom (my) firmware.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #8,870 of 22,019
Difference is only subtle comparing 320kbps mp3 and 16/44 flac. U want better clearer difference? Go for DSD

I resepctfully disagree, with metal music I hear a huge difference between 320 Mp3 and lossless flac, most of the difference is in the cymbals and background sounds which MP3 algorithms are notoriously known for erasing. I probably wouldn't hear the same huge differences with classical or music that isn't as notoriously complex what I typically listen to.

I can hear a big difference between 320kbps and 16/44 flac. DSD is very expensive for my wallet, but I think I will buy the new albums with that format :wink:
Does DX200 support any kind of DSD file? Because I see you can buy different qualities of DSD files.

I am yet to find any of my favorite albums in DSD, but as I said above, 320 Mp3 and lossless flac do sound different to those ears as well.

Sep 21, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #8,871 of 22,019
DX200 supports DSD64, DSD128, DSD256. MangoPlayer supports .dff and .dsf file formats (.dsf is better because it supports tagging). It may play SACD ISO images, but their support is not good. There are 3rd party apps that play them all, but it requires a custom (my) firmware.
You forgot to mention that DX200 is among very few music players that can decode and play DSD512 !!

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #8,874 of 22,019
I resepctfully disagree, with metal music I hear a huge difference between 320 Mp3 and lossless flac, most of the difference is in the cymbals and background sounds which MP3 algorithms are notoriously known for erasing. I probably wouldn't hear the same huge differences with classical or music that isn't as notoriously complex what I typically listen to.

I am yet to find any of my favorite albums in DSD, but as I said above, 320 Mp3 and lossless flac do sound different to those ears as well.

Oh yeah you're right. My bad. I forgot it depends greatly on the type of music. On typical modern pop/edm with lower dynamic range and complexities the difference isn't that apparent. I mean yes it's there and easily noticeable but it's not that huge for the music enjoyment per se. Huge difference on jazz with lots of cymbals for example.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #8,876 of 22,019
Yepe! SP1000 as well :D....though, I still don't know where to get those files or to buy them....I fail
You and everybody else. DSD512 is a gimmick at this point, in my opinion. I've got one track in DSD512 that I got from an iFi sampler. All it does is make the space required to enjoy music astronomically big. I can't hear any difference between the same track in DSD128 and DSD256, I doubt I'd hear a difference at DSD512. I also can't hear a difference between DSD256 and DXD352 from the same track converted to DXD using JRiver from the DSD256 file on tracks mastered in DSD256. I guess my ears aren't buzzword compliant. :p

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #8,877 of 22,019

Yes I agree with George, in case of some typical recordings, you can hear the difference easily (especially high frequencies). But when it comes to well recorded music, the difference is very subtle and it takes time to find the difference.

I was talking about MP3 to FLAC. I don't have any songs in DSDs, so can't say.

Even the latest recordings, I think Rihanna Diamonds - the bass was very distorted in mp3 320....it was far better even on 16bit FLAC.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #8,879 of 22,019
You can look at Twitter without having an account. Why not use Google and post the pics here for everyone instead of "+1." I've seen it, and I'm selfish and on Twitter, so I'll help nobody. :wink:

Sep 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #8,880 of 22,019
For those who wants to be sure that a software player on DX200 (Mango, Neutron, UAPP, Hiby, whatever) plays bit perfect audio, without additional hardware (unlike the test with DTS-encoded stream), I've prepared a sample track and an explanation here.

Well, it requires my firmware build to be installed (the latest, 2.5.141L1 is recommended). But it worth the efforts, if you are in real doubt... or you can trust me and others who has performed the test :)

The bottom line is: MangoPlayer and the latest build of Neutron Music, with EQ, filters and other enhancements disabled, produce bit perfect stream directly to the DAC.

So, those who claim that iBasso "does something with sound", please stop speculating! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back