DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #21,841 of 22,021
Thanks! Is keeping it plugged in permanently a problem or are the batteries just known to die like this? I haven't had cellphone batteries swell on me when dying before, they just sort of...stop holding a charge, gradually.
I know that it trickle charges but I don't keep anything plugged in all the time. I have found it will cause a battery to last a shorter period of time. I have some batteries that are 10 years old but leave them stored at around 80% (a guess on % but it works) and I don't just keep something on charge all the time as I have found it shortens the battery life. I think any battery can go. I mentioned the iPhone and it went through 2 batteries as my wife keeps hers plugged in all the time, even though I ask her to take it off the charger at times. :^)

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #21,842 of 22,021
"I have some batteries that are 10 years old but leave them stored at around 80% (a guess on % but it works) and I don't just keep something on charge all the time as I have found it shortens the battery life."

Yeah, I know this is generally true but don't usually do it because it's just too much of a pain to keep checking the status and plugging and unplugging it if you're using it all the time :/ I was thinking this one died quite quickly even still, since I only got the DX200 in 2018, but I forgot I bought it second hand and don't know how long the original owner had it, so I guess I'll just chalk it up to experience and get a replacement off AX...

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #21,844 of 22,021
Hi to all,
i've bought from some days the DX200 (standard), i got too late on the thread, i jumped on the wagon thread at page 1000! (now i'm synched at page 1334 LOL).
Anyway, i would like to share some impressions and ask for some suggestions.

First the impressions.
I come from ifi micro iDSD wich served me so well for so much time.
I wanted to experience the "Sabre clarity" and so I was searching for a USB DAC (99% of time I listen directly from Laptop with Foobar).
I encountered the iBasso 200 line, wich supported USB DAC, it was portable too (why not?) it had a double Sabre, it played DSD 512 and it didn't needed a gold mine to buy.
So got it.
As soon as it arrived, i upgraded to the last firmware, put the usb cable and started the comparison with the iDSD.
Well... i was quite... deluded... it didn't sound nothing special...no presence, no soundstage, no bass, no the mytical "Sabre Clarity".
After more than 2 hours switching back and forth (from iDSD to DX200) i was almost to say "Well, we tried it, Sabre was just a myth",
and i was on the line to putting in back into the pack.
And then it happened. Suddendly it started to sound...unbelievable.
I stopped foobar and i looked at the DX200 suspiciosly (What?).
Another back and forth with the iDSD and yes this other "new" object (where do you come from?) was really sounding in that way.
Fantaastic and unbelievably.
Comparing to the iDsd it was something like a veil, a courtain was lifted from the sound.
The iDsd had all the same sound signature, just veiled, and the dx had lifted the veil.
So presence, so clarity, so soundstage, so.... so....
Ok end of the impressions. Later i understood i was just too stupid not having done the burn-in (wich was part of the setup!).
Btw, happy to have resisted 2 hours listening to it (and having reached the burn-in treshold) :)

Now the suggestions.
I've read in the thread that the DX200ti (and the DX220) have the AMP1 MKii.
I like the analytical and airy sound and i'm bonded with not-balanced IEMs atm.
So, i would like to improve the listening.
From what i can read, my only option is the AMP7 (AMP9 is tube and i imagine it's just the opposite of airy and analytical).

So, someone as experience with the AMP7 vs AMP1 and AMP7 vs AMP1 MKII?
Moreover (i know this is quite difficult), some of you want to sell a AMP1 Mk II from DX220 (as I can suppose you'll have switched to AMP8)?
I would gladly pay the price of it as new.

Le me know :)

ps.
Another impression.
I've just done a quick test with the mango player, comparing a flac played from foobar + USB and the same flac played from SD + Default Mango Player.
The result is plain s**it. Pheraps i'm losing some piece?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #21,845 of 22,021
Hi to all,
i've bought from some days the DX200 (standard), i got too late on the thread, i jumped on the wagon thread at page 1000! (now i'm synched at page 1334 LOL).
Anyway, i would like to share some impressions and ask for some suggestions.

First the impressions.
I come from ifi micro iDSD wich served me so well for so much time.
I wanted to experience the "Sabre clarity" and so I was searching for a USB DAC (99% of time I listen directly from Laptop with Foobar).
I encountered the iBasso 200 line, wich supported USB DAC, it was portable too (why not?) it had a double Sabre, it played DSD 512 and it didn't needed a gold mine to buy.
So got it.
As soon as it arrived, i upgraded to the last firmware, put the usb cable and started the comparison with the iDSD.
Well... i was quite... deluded... it didn't sound nothing special...no presence, no soundstage, no bass, no the mytical "Sabre Clarity".
After more than 2 hours switching back and forth (from iDSD to DX200) i was almost to say "Well, we tried it, Sabre was just a myth",
and i was on the line to putting in back into the pack.
I stopped foobar and i looked at the DX200 suspiciosly (What?).
Another back and forth with the iDSD and yes this other "new" object (where do you come from?) was really sounding in that way.
Fantaastic and unbelievably.
Comparing to the iDsd it was something like a veil, a courtain was lifted from the sound.
The iDsd had all the same sound signature, just veiled, and the dx had lifted the veil.
So presence, so clarity, so soundstage, so.... so....
Ok end of the impressions. Later i understood i was just too stupid not having done the burn-in (wich was part of the setup!).
Btw, happy to have resisted 2 hours listening to it (and having reached the burn-in treshold) :)

Now the suggestions.
I've read in the thread that the DX200ti (and the DX220) have the AMP1 MKii.
I like the analytical and airy sound and i'm bonded with not-balanced IEMs atm.
So, i would like to improve the listening.
From what i can read, my only option is the AMP7 (AMP9 is tube and i imagine it's just the opposite of airy and analytical).

So, someone as experience with the AMP7 vs AMP1 and AMP7 vs AMP1 MKII?
Moreover (i know this is quite difficult), some of you want to sell a AMP1 Mk II from his DX200ti (I've read that almost all of you DX200ti owners had switchted to AMP8)?
I would gladly pay the price of it as new.

Le me know :)

ps.
Another impression.
I've just done a quick test with the mango player, comparing a flac played from foobar + USB and the same flac played from SD + Default Mango Player.
The result is plain s**it. Pheraps i'm losing some piece?
Moreover (i know this is quite difficult), some of you want to sell a AMP1 Mk II from his DX200ti (I've read that almost all of you DX200ti owners had switchted to AMP8)?
If you are interested to buy the amp1 mk2 let me know. Thank you.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #21,847 of 22,021
@DaYooper
Really? I was convinced (from a comparison some user did in old post) that the TI had the MkII in it.
So it is instead an AMP1 modded with high quality materials?

At this point can you suggest me where i can read a comparison of AMP1 MkII vs AMP1 standard? (apart from reading the DX220 reviews eheh)

@singleended5863
I'll let you know thank you :)

Aug 18, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #21,848 of 22,021
@DaYooper
Really? I was convinced (from a comparison some user did in old post) that the TI had the MkII in it.
So it is instead an AMP1 modded with high quality materials?

At this point can you suggest me where i can read a comparison of AMP1 MkII vs AMP1 standard? (apart from reading the DX220 reviews eheh)

@singleended5863
I'll let you know thank you :)

Yes AMP1 modded with high quality stuff for the TI. Amp1mkii comparisons were all in the DX220 thread as far as i recall. I have several DX200TI out of the 66 if you absolutely need one.

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #21,849 of 22,021
I suspect you first tried headphones via line output, and then inserted them into phone output :wink:

Aug 28, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #21,850 of 22,021
Well, I have an interesting dilemma. I have asked about this in past but no answers. My DX200 will only output sound using the AMP 5 module. When any of the others are installed I only get a static white noise or minimal scratchy sound at full volume on all the other Amps. This all started quite awhile ago when I purchased AMP4s, it did not work/sound right after it was installed. I thought it was the AMP, but it will work in DX150 as well as all of the other Amps (1,2,3,5,6) they will work fine in DX150, but will not work any longer in DX200, only Amp 5. Possibly blown output stage on DX200? But why will it work just fine with AMP 5? Does anyone have a schematic layout of Base DX200 amp sections?
Thanks,
Baffled in Babylon.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #21,851 of 22,021
Well, I have an interesting dilemma. I have asked about this in past but no answers. My DX200 will only output sound using the AMP 5 module. When any of the others are installed I only get a static white noise or minimal scratchy sound at full volume on all the other Amps. This all started quite awhile ago when I purchased AMP4s, it did not work/sound right after it was installed. I thought it was the AMP, but it will work in DX150 as well as all of the other Amps (1,2,3,5,6) they will work fine in DX150, but will not work any longer in DX200, only Amp 5. Possibly blown output stage on DX200? But why will it work just fine with AMP 5? Does anyone have a schematic layout of Base DX200 amp sections?
Thanks,
Baffled in Babylon.
With one of the AMPs that won't work correctly, please open it and loosen the screws that hold down the PCB inside. Then put the back on and see if it will work correctly. It could be a misalignment. If this isn't it, the internal connect for the AMPs may need replacement.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #21,852 of 22,021
With one of the AMPs that won't work correctly, please open it and loosen the screws that hold down the PCB inside. Then put the back on and see if it will work correctly. It could be a misalignment. If this isn't it, the internal connect for the AMPs may need replacement.
Thank you Paul
I will try that and post back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back