DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #21,061 of 22,021
I thought balanced to single ended was OK? Not single ended to balanced
Nope, it is only ok when it is the Headphones at the receiving end, and not an active device like a preamp or amplifier

In order for any devices to be able to take in balanced input, they have to be designed for balanced input. Otherwise you end up shorting the Negative signals into ground

This is one confusing place where I keep telling people. Balance to Balanced, and Single ended to single ended, and never ever mixed up. All it take is just one confusion moment.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #21,062 of 22,021
So, what if I have a single ended desktop amp I'd like to use my DX208 as a source for? A 4.4mm male to 3.5mm female adapter with a 3.5mm to dual rca connected to the single ended input on the amp is not advisable? Otherwise, yo uwould have to swap in Amp 1 if I want to use the Dx200 as a source into an amp?

Again, Do not use Balanced out into Single ended In Amplifiers. You will need a single ended output source, and that means using Amp1

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #21,063 of 22,021
I thought balanced to single ended was OK? Not single ended to balanced
If you take the balanced out of the AMP8 or any balanced amp and tie the negative voltage out to ground you will be shorting that section of the balanced out to ground. That will burn out part of the circuit. It would do the same if you took the positive and took it to ground. You can use an adapter with balanced IEMs or headphones to make them single ended. If you want to use the DX200 as a line out the best method is to use AMP1 with the line out.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #21,064 of 22,021
Again, Do not use Balanced out into Single ended In Amplifiers. You will need a single ended output source, and that means using Amp1

If you take the balanced out of the AMP8 or any balanced amp and tie the negative voltage out to ground you will be shorting that section of the balanced out to ground. That will burn out part of the circuit. It would do the same if you took the positive and took it to ground. You can use an adapter with balanced IEMs or headphones to make them single ended. If you want to use the DX200 as a line out the best method is to use AMP1 with the line out.

Very useful information! So, any amp that accepts balanced 3-pin xlr inputs can be connected to DX200 Amp 8 via a custom 4.4mm to dual 3-pin xlr cable without harming the amp? This is what I have been doing and everything seems to be fine. I am glad I saw this before trying to connect the balanced out of Amp 8 to the rca inputs on a single ended desktop amp!

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #21,065 of 22,021
Very useful information! So, any amp that accepts balanced 3-pin xlr inputs can be connected to DX200 Amp 8 via a custom 4.4mm to dual 3-pin xlr cable without harming the amp? This is what I have been doing and everything seems to be fine. I am glad I saw this before trying to connect the balanced out of Amp 8 to the rca inputs on a single ended desktop amp!

Yes, that is correct. I have been doing that too ! A custom made 4.4mm into dual XLR-3 for my amplifier

If your amp have RCA, you have to stick with Amp1

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #21,066 of 22,021
Thanks!

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #21,067 of 22,021
Well it's a good thing I posted incorrect information here before I bought my amp lol.

But shoot, I bought a 4.4mm to dual RCA cable hoping to use it on the Liquid Spark amp... which is single ended. Why do they even make these cables then?

Anyways thanks @Whitigir and @Paul - iBasso and apologies to @Trance_Gott for the misinformation.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #21,068 of 22,021
Or Amp5. IMO, it sounds closest to a balanced output.

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #21,069 of 22,021
Well it's a good thing I posted incorrect information here before I bought my amp lol.

But shoot, I bought a 4.4mm to dual RCA cable hoping to use it on the Liquid Spark amp... which is single ended. Why do they even make these cables then?

Anyways thanks @Whitigir and @Paul - iBasso and apologies to @Trance_Gott for the misinformation.

There are devices that can take in Balanced out into Single ended and or Single ended toward balanced out, but these are very limite and the majority is DIY. Some people need it and can pull it off for specific needs. I do not see why and or how such DIY person would be needing those cables as they can also DIY such things.

The only reason I can think off is that if there are demands, then there are Supply.

For Dx200 and the unlimited choices of Amp modules, you have whatever you need, just swap out the module :wink:

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #21,070 of 22,021
There are devices that can take in Balanced out into Single ended and or Single ended toward balanced out, but these are very limite and the majority is DIY. Some people need it and can pull it off for specific needs. I do not see why and or how such DIY person would be needing those cables as they can also DIY such things.

The only reason I can think off is that if there are demands, then there are Supply.

For Dx200 and the unlimited choices of Amp modules, you have whatever you need, just swap out the module :wink:
I have a Modwright LS100 tube linestage that handles balanced sources to single ended amps. Woo does this too with their WA5. So it is doable

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #21,071 of 22,021
I have a Modwright LS100 tube linestage that handles balanced sources to single ended amps. Woo does this too with their WA5. So it is doable
Yeah, there are capable devices, but such person have to be made aware of it first though. However, the subject can be very confusing. For the general rule of thumb, better be safe than sorry. Use balanced to balanced only

Apr 4, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #21,072 of 22,021
DX200 firmware Android8.1 official version V1.06.041
DX20080.jpg

This firmware was released on: April 2, 2019

This firmware is only available for DX200 upgrades that have been swiped into Android 8.1
If the firmware is 6.0, please click the tail link to view the cross-version line brush method - click to view ---

DX200 firmware Android8.1 official version V1.06.041 update instructions:
1. Under the Android system, solve the problem of playing dead or silent sound in HD video playback;
2, under the Android system, modify the status bar volume icon overlap problem;
3. Under the Mango system, the cover image of the individual format in the optimized path folder does not display the problem;
4. Under the Mango system, optimize the problem of only broadcasting one song in the album under the genre directory;
5. Under the Mango system, optimize the random play algorithm to avoid frequent random same songs;
6, under the Mango system, optimize the display font size of the cue directory.

This firmware is upgraded by OTA card brush. The operation steps are as follows:
1. Download the OTA firmware package and place the OTA package (DX200-OTA_V1.06.041.zip, no decompression) on the SD card root directory.
2. Under Android, go to Settings - System - System Update - Local Upgrade - Select your SD card root directory location - find the firmware package to enter the upgrade interface

Precautions:
* DX150 or DX200 does not need to brush 6.0 2.XXX firmware after brushing into V8.1 latest firmware.
* Please note that your player has sufficient power before upgrading. This update is recommended to be 40% or above. It is normal for the first time after the firmware update to take longer (may take 5-10 minutes), please be patient;
* After the brush is changed from English to Simplified Chinese, the setting method is: Settings - System - Languages & Input - Languages - Add a Languag - find Chinese, select and drag out to the first place;
* The firmware package downloaded from the overseas official website needs to be decompressed once more;
* Baidu network disk can not be loaded in a single browser in a single click, press F5 in the same window to refresh.

Firmware download: (size: 661M extraction code: 8b5i)

I have succesfully updated the firmware to this latest Ibasso official version and then I have applied the latest Lurker´s add-on version available (1.16) and it is working fine. I suppose that Lurker will update the add-on but in the meantime you can use the available version safely.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #21,073 of 22,021
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #21,074 of 22,021
I have succesfully updated the firmware to this latest Ibasso official version and then I have applied the latest Lurker´s add-on version available (1.16) and it is working fine. I suppose that Lurker will update the add-on but in the meantime you can use the available version safely.

Updated it here as well, no problems. Thanks for the heads-up.

Apr 5, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #21,075 of 22,021
Here it is: Add-on v.1.17
  1. Compatible with 1.06.041. Backward comatible with 1.05.036.
  2. Magisk updated to version 18.1.
  3. Kernel parameters tuned to prevent CPU overheating (with great help of @Anglomilian).
In addition to the official release notes for 1.06.041, I'd add:
  • If you experienced sudden shutdowns or misbehaviour of DX200 with previous Android 8.1 versions, but no problems with Android 6.01, please try this, along with my add-on.
  • YouTube full screen playback works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back