DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #19,967 of 22,019
guys,
I'm seeing you're are all very excited about custom modification but I don't understand if there is something I'm able to do or not. Should be nice to resume everything in a specific thread! :)

I'm thinking about AMP8 balanced with 4.4 output. Now I have dx200 standards (anybody want to sell its Titanium?!) with amp3. I'm very happy with dx200, amp3 and Xelento (high quality balanced custom cable) and dx200 into external Amplifier Pathos aurium using AMP3 line out.
I'm wondering if I would have some benefit If I use the combinations quoted above but using AMP8 (with adapter FiiO BL44 4.4 to 2.5 so I can use all my custom cables).

Thank you

Are you asking if Amp3 line out sound as good or better than Amp8 using 4.4mm headphones out as a line out ?

Nope, I have Amp8 Modified and Amp3 modified. I did, however, compared Stock Amp8 to Stock Amp3 from Line out to headphones out into external desktop amp. In both instances, Stock Vs Stock and Modified vs modified, the Amp8 come out on top as a winner, despite using it 4.4mm headphones out as a line out.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #19,968 of 22,019
despite using it 4.4mm headphones out as a line out.
it is exactly my question. (which particular improvements?)

keep in mind I would use it with adapter FiiO BL44 for 4.4 to 2.5 so I can use all my custom 2.5mm cables, what do you think about it @Whitigir ?

Thank you ! :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #19,969 of 22,019
That’s why double check it and when I touch the blob came straight off without force so no worry on short circuit.

How much better is the Ti model against the standard DX200 really tempted to get one. One is for sale used from other site for 1.2k should I get it.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #19,970 of 22,019
Double check it did have a solder blob on the second smt cap but it can straight off when I touch it. It did have a Ibasso sticker and AMP1 MOD laser on it. If somebody not Ibasso did it than they spent a lot of effort on it.

Now that deffo looks legit, would be good to compare it soundwise to the AMP1ti clone I did.

p s. Glad you removed that blob, it would have come loose at some point and caused havoc.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #19,971 of 22,019
Now that deffo looks legit, would be good to compare it soundwise to the AMP1ti clone I did.

p s. Glad you removed that blob, it would have come loose at some point and caused havoc.

I was worried it was done by a modder but the seller provide a image of a receipt and told me it was limited on 11/11 sale with the DX200

Yeah didn’t know it was there the blob was so small thanks for letting me know.

Jan 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #19,972 of 22,019
I was worried it was done by a modder but the seller provide a image of a receipt and told me it was limited on 11/11 sale with the DX200

Yeah didn’t know it was there the blob was so small thanks for letting me know.

No worries, the AMP1 Mod looks to use the same caps/values as one of ibasso's trial AMP7s configurations (bottom centre)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #19,976 of 22,019
Guys
I read in the previous pages all enthusiasts with the DSD512 conversions: does it really worth? do you use some particular software? does make it sense with every kind of source or only with some high res source?

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #19,977 of 22,019
@Nayparm id be interested in having my amp1 or amp7 modded if you are up for doing one of them

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #19,978 of 22,019
Well, I tried upsampling one 44.1/16-bit album to DSD 512 with XiSRC on my laptop, and I have to say, it sounded pretty awful. It came out significantly louder than the original source file with a higher noise floor and distortion. I used the default settings, though I did use the ISP Reduction option. Actually, as I recall, the ISP Reduction was the only user selectable option other than the default settings. I'm not sure if that's what made it sound icky. The conversion also took forever, so I was doing other stuff on the computer to kill time. I suppose that could have affected the result. Sometimes when I'm exporting audio projects from my DAW, or doing sample rate conversions on my desktop PC, the resulting file sometimes gets a little "glitchy" with artifacts being introduced if I'm doing other things on the computer at the same time.

I'll try again with changes in the possible variables: a different source file, no ISP Reduction, and not working on the computer while the files are processing to see if this makes any difference.

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #19,980 of 22,019
Well, I tried upsampling one 44.1/16-bit album to DSD 512 with XiSRC on my laptop, and I have to say, it sounded pretty awful. It came out significantly louder than the original source file with a higher noise floor and distortion. I used the default settings, though I did use the ISP Reduction option. Actually, as I recall, the ISP Reduction was the only user selectable option other than the default settings. I'm not sure if that's what made it sound icky. The conversion also took forever, so I was doing other stuff on the computer to kill time. I suppose that could have affected the result. Sometimes when I'm exporting audio projects from my DAW, or doing sample rate conversions on my desktop PC, the resulting file sometimes gets a little "glitchy" with artifacts being introduced if I'm doing other things on the computer at the same time.

I'll try again with changes in the possible variables: a different source file, no ISP Reduction, and not working on the computer while the files are processing to see if this makes any difference.
If it sounds louder then you are doing something wrong (or your software). DSD upscaling done right sound definietly better than original files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back