DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #16,366 of 22,021
I have a question. Can anyone explain the benefits of the balanced input on the DX200 AMP1 vs AMP8 soundwise? I use a few balanced armature iems and I'm curious to know how this will further improve the default greatness I'm hearing.

Aug 11, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #16,367 of 22,021
I have a question. Can anyone explain the benefits of the balanced input on the DX200 AMP1 vs AMP8 soundwise? I use a few balanced armature iems and I'm curious to know how this will further improve the default greatness I'm hearing.

You might go back several pages to see the comparison between balanced 2.5 of amp1 and balanced 4.4 of amp8 soundwise. For me I prefer amp8 which has more dynamic especially sub bass and fast and tight bass with more layers in the treble and midrange...

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #16,368 of 22,021
If you like true reference sound amp1 balanced is the way to go. More flat and almost dry. With not much musicality.

Amp4, amp4s and amp8 are musical yet not far off from neutral.

Also different iems have different synergy with each of these amps.

Amp1ti is much better and not as sterile as amp1

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #16,370 of 22,021
Thank you @linux4ever & @singleended5863 I like the reasoning more musicality is always welcome and it would give me a chance to use this Musashino Label Pentaconn adapter I have sitting around.

Just be informed that when using the musashino adapter with amp4/4s, you will need to use the spacer or else you may face some issue.

Aug 11, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #16,371 of 22,021
Just be informed that when using the musashino adapter with amp4/4s, you will need to use the spacer or else you may face some issue.
Thanks for the information @jasonho . I think I saw something to that effect a few dozen pages back.

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #16,372 of 22,021
Hey guys is it me or amps 4s has less bass than amp1 single ended?

My phantom seemes to paire well with amp1. Is it warmer than amp4s?

Amp8 should be the warmest right

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #16,373 of 22,021
Hey, folks. I'm playing around with my setups at the moment, and thought I'd ask for opinions on something in particular: the DX200 DAC stage vs. desktop DACs. I can see where a desktop amp is always going to have the potential to be better than a portable one - space and AC power availability obviously is gonna help with amplification. But how much difference do folks think there is between the DX200's DAC stage and a mid-range desktop DAC? Say, e.g., the Cayin iDAC-6 or the midrange Schiit DACs.

I'm getting a DX200 soon, and I'm considering changing my desktop stack, but not sure if it's gonna make more sense to buy a desktop DAC and amp, or whether it'd be reasonable to just use the DX200's DAC stage with a desktop amp for a desktop setup (obviously, not buying a separate desktop DAC would increase the amp budget a bit).

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #16,374 of 22,021
Hey, folks. I'm playing around with my setups at the moment, and thought I'd ask for opinions on something in particular: the DX200 DAC stage vs. desktop DACs. I can see where a desktop amp is always going to have the potential to be better than a portable one - space and AC power availability obviously is gonna help with amplification. But how much difference do folks think there is between the DX200's DAC stage and a mid-range desktop DAC? Say, e.g., the Cayin iDAC-6 or the midrange Schiit DACs.

I'm getting a DX200 soon, and I'm considering changing my desktop stack, but not sure if it's gonna make more sense to buy a desktop DAC and amp, or whether it'd be reasonable to just use the DX200's DAC stage with a desktop amp for a desktop setup (obviously, not buying a separate desktop DAC would increase the amp budget a bit).

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Your Question is too long. But you meant to ask how dx200 compare to desktop ?

1/ a proper desktop setup has very hard to beat tonality or timbres realism, and can only be out done by desktops. Different setup will approach this level differently.

2/ Portable players has limited form/functions. So, they compromise one for another. There are 3 kinds I have experienced: soundstage, or details, or realism. Ofcourse they are not perfecting any of the 3 either, just get very high performances out of it. Then sound signature will varies depend on each brand and players

3/ very expensive DAP can combine 2 out of the 3 : soundstage, details, realism, but never all 3. Where as a proper desktop can net in all 3 and easily surpass any DAP, and can only be beat by other higher tier desktops.

So, what is Dx200 ? It is in the #3 that does very well: soundstage and details, but lacks behind in realism. Given the circumstances of DAP limitations and Dx200 price/practicality and performances. The Dx200 can be said to reach Desktop level easily. I compared dx200 against my LKS004, and it hold it ground very well, depends on the circumstances. The lks004 is no slouch either

The Wm1Z is also #3 that does Details and realism better than dx200 but lacks behind in soundstage. Compromises has to be made, and you will have to choose. Ultimately, for DAP, your gears that you synergize with the player will mean a lot more. This is where dx200 is more valuable as it has removable amp modules

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #16,375 of 22,021
Your Question is too long. But you meant to ask how dx200 compare to desktop ?

And yet your reply is twice as long, but missed the point of the question :wink:

I wanted to compare DX200 to desktop *only considering the DAC stage* - not amplification. I'm considering the possibility of using the DX200 as a source/DAC stage for a desktop setup, with a separate desktop amp.

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #16,376 of 22,021
And yet your reply is twice as long, but missed the point of the question :wink:

I wanted to compare DX200 to desktop *only considering the DAC stage* - not amplification. I'm considering the possibility of using the DX200 as a source/DAC stage for a desktop setup, with a separate desktop amp.

I did answer it all in details, perhap someone else will answer better

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #16,377 of 22,021
I did answer it all in details, perhap someone else will answer better
Yes, thanks for the reply - it's just that as you spoke in general terms, I wasn't sure if you were considering only the DAC stage as I asked. If the DX200 as a DAC stands up to your LKS004, that suggests that it's a pretty respectable midrange DAC even by desktop standards, since the LKS004 is >$1k. If I were buying a desktop DAC I'd only be spending probably ~$500 on it, so perhaps that wouldn't get me something substantially better than the DX200 as a DAC?

Aug 11, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #16,378 of 22,021
Yes, thanks for the reply - it's just that as you spoke in general terms, I wasn't sure if you were considering only the DAC stage as I asked. If the DX200 as a DAC stands up to your LKS004, that suggests that it's a pretty respectable midrange DAC even by desktop standards, since the LKS004 is >$1k. If I were buying a desktop DAC I'd only be spending probably ~$500 on it, so perhaps that wouldn't get me something substantially better than the DX200 as a DAC?

Well, I don’t think any desktop DAC around $500 can outperform Dx200 DAC substantially. But to compare DAC performances by PCM between dx200 and lks004, the dx200 is behind in different places, but still can hold it ground. Given specific circumstances, the dx200 can outperform lks004

Is there any $500 desktop DAC that can do DSD512 ?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #16,379 of 22,021
Dunno, I hadn't looked extensively into specs yet. The ones I was initially thinking of were pretty much the ones I mentioned in my post - Cayin iDAC-6 (because it's well-reviewed and available locally for a good price) and Schiit Bifrost / Gungnir (as they seem to be the hot things around here these days - Gungnir is a bit over the budget, but of course you can find them second hand). I've read Schiit aren't big fans of DSD and their DACs don't even support DSD at all by default, you need some additional module (Loki). But obviously I'd look for less-obvious candidates too. Still, from your impressions it's sounding like it'd probably be a better idea to skip the desktop DAC and put the budget towards amplification. Thanks again.

(edit: I should mention DSD doesn't really matter to me, basically all my source material is not DSD. But I answered as you asked.)

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #16,380 of 22,021
anyone tried dx208 combo with it04? how does it sound? my amp8 is on the way, currently enjoying dx200 amp1 and it 04

Users who are viewing this thread

Back