DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #14,746 of 22,021
As long as they are using Sigma-Delta, there are over sampling and modulation somewhere. Unless they can technically do True-NOS (True Non Over Sampling)

Schiit's multibit dac's are R2R ladder, not delta-sigma... I assume this is what Tennessee was trying to originally convey.

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #14,748 of 22,021
Under this statement, every DAC chip will do “fill in the blank” by Applying Sigma-Delta modulations at 2-4-8-16X anyways. The differences is that it is much reliable on the clocks for real time communications where as offline processing can take it out of the equation, period.

You read a book once, then you read it the second time and realized howmuch you are missing out...are you a book reader ? This conversion is the same thing, the more time it sample, the more information it can achieve.

It is true that upsampling or more processing to not be able to create additional information, but it rather is that you are normally missing out information. Why ? Because

**** processing on the fly, a DAC need to rely on expensive clocking system, expensive power rail design, expensive low noises components ....etc....etc.....which your portable player never had, not even some desktop tier equipments have.

The more you sample the signals, the more information you can achieve, and the more noises of ultra sonic and other noises will also be achieved. This is where you need noise shaping, low-pass and high-pass filters applications. Otherwise the Ultra-Sonic will blow your brain out, or blow your tweeters. This is also where it matter the most and where different DAC brands will bring it own characteristics. For example, AKM is different house sound than ESS Sabres and so on...you get the thrills

Yes, one can argue that Studio DSD is using high quality PCM, then again...what is it ? 786Khz ? 192Khz ? It doesn’t matter, the standard verdict is out at 16-24 bits and 44.1 KHz is enough to contain all informations. The matter is that, could you have achieved all of these informations and not be missing out every little drop of it ? If every system can do it, then you can listen to your iPad and it cirrus logic DAC to end this debate. Others will be spending hundreds of thousands of dollar to do this, and then they would also demand an electric line straight from the power plant for their own Audiophile equipments LOL ....with the power lines burried underground, heavily shielded

To be honest, I find your post slightly condescending. Period. And yes, I read often. Please don’t assume what I know and don’t know. I’m quite familiar with different sampling methods and conversions, and I’m well aware of different sounds from different manufacturers, system integration, and effects of different components.

I was talking only of sampling and conversion, and clocks / power supply rails / noise filters / buffers / etc. all have their own effects on audio besides the sampling rate/method.

Back to the very basics...

At the very core, digital simply means sampled data, and analogue simply means continuous data. Every single DAC whether R2R or Delta Sigma, OS and non-OS will fill data values in between the samples to output an analogue waveform. DSD is 1 bit, but sampled very fast which creates a lot of switching noise and quantization that needs to be filtered out with noise shaping. 16/44.1 PCM will sample 44,100 times per second and with 16 bit depth will allow 65,536 unique Voltage amplitude values at each sample. 24 bit depth will allow 16,777,216 unique Voltage amplitude values. The more samples and bit depth that can be used in the recording process then the more accurate the sampled data will be to the original continuous analogue waveform. Depending on the design of the DAC there may be extra filters used to deal with the noise.

Whether using more samples and bit depth(for PCM) is audible or not, or even ‘better’, is where a lot of debate comes from, but it will always be a fact that there will need to be a ‘fill-the-gaps-between’ to produce a continuous audio signal with a DAC. Always. The question is how many samples are required to sound good to the listener regarding what’s ‘filled-in’ at the DAC. Software up-sampling / conversion is another way to do get part way there before the DAC but many software up-samplers / converters are actually quite poor, some are good. Some people love non-OS DACs but aliasing can be an issue without analogue filters. OS DACs calculate in-between samples based on different sampling theory techniques.

Anyway, this conversation is very complex and far too much for this thread. The original question was if there are extra samples added and the answer is undeniably yes.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #14,749 of 22,021
Let the people ears judge. No one force anyone to do anything, the sciences are out there, the facts are out there.

I am back to listening DSD512 and I will be waiting for 512Gb card at U3 speed. Before that, I will need a Titanium Dx200 LOL! Saving up money atm, and 256gb will do just fine for now

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #14,750 of 22,021
Let the people ears judge. No one force anyone to do anything, the sciences are out there, the facts are out there.

I am back to listening DSD512 and I will be waiting for 512Gb card at U3 speed. Before that, I will need a Titanium Dx200 LOL! Saving up money atm, and 256gb will do just fine for now

Lol, I never said anything about preferences...

Enjoy the DX200 with DSD512 if it floats your boat.

Jul 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #14,751 of 22,021
Audio nerds.

Jul 12, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #14,755 of 22,021
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jul 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #14,756 of 22,021
No, this was immensely helpful, many thanks! And thanks to @Whitigir too :)
However, it does leave me with a few questions.

1) I believe Whitigir said that CD's can be converted into DSD?
My understanding from what you and he wrote is that DSD of any type has a far higher sample rate (and hence quantity of information, even at 1 bit) than a 16/44 CD (or FLAC file).
So how can a CD be converted into a DSD file of a higher quality? Or is this also just a form of 'fill in the blanks' upscaling?

2) From which sources can one obtain music in DSD format without any upscaling?

3) I'm still a bit confused about the difference/relationship between DSF and DSD?
Perhaps it would help me if you could describe using practical examples involving playback on a DAP? As in, what format do I ultimately need it to be in so that I can just stick the file on a micro-SD card (or external HDD) and play it on the DX200?

Because that's ultimately my goal here lol :p
This is all you need to know
http://www.realhd-audio.com/
Just enjoy the music and forget about the rest. If you enjoy what you are listening to that's all that matters. Whether it cost Mega $$ or mini $$.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #14,757 of 22,021
Hi. I just got my DX200 and amp8 from iBasso. I can't believe how quickly it got to the States and through customs.

What everyone was saying was true. It's a really impressive unit and it still hasn’t gone through any real burn in.

I know there are a lot of purists here, but I have a real weakness for surround virtualization with Tidal streaming. Has anyone got Viper4Android working on the DX200? Is it possible?

Jul 12, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #14,758 of 22,021
I know there are a lot of purists here, but I have a real weakness for surround virtualization with Tidal streaming.

Bear with us.. just getting our pitchforks and burning torches ready... :p
Personally, the DX200 sounds so good, I've never felt any desire to explore such things. But I'm sure someone will chime in with a solution.
Hope you enjoy the DAP and welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back