DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #14,401 of 22,021
@Whitigir The good news so far is that AMP8 doesn't run hotter than AMP4 which means running it while plugged shouldn't be an issue causing a shutdown. We'll see...

I'm sure discrete circuits are not efficient as the integrated ones

Absolutely, that does make sense, even with the advertised VCE components.

Again, I am willing to make the sacrifice given the amazing headroom you get...
The more I listen the more I am mesmerized by the soundstage, things are opening as it burns in oh my... Listening to Wynton Marsalis "Sidewalk blues" is absolutely brilliantly rendered with AMP8.

I must also say, I noticed treble have better dynamics in the sense that high hats really pop!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #14,402 of 22,021
I didn't have a listen at AMP4S, would be interesting to have comparison to AMP8 in terms of sig.

Well 45-55 is with the Phantom it would be 50-60 for the VE8 but I am a low volume listener apparently.
I think power consumption will depend on impedance and sensitivity, the VE8 and even more, the Phantom have low impedance and high sensitivity so lower volume but low impedance means it needs current...
Us both having Phantoms definitely adds more weight to your impressions. I'll reciprocate on the 4s.

~50 seems pretty quiet but I definitely don't consider my ears barometers for what should be considered safe listening spl's. Anyone that tries my Phantoms ends up listening lower than me but there's gotta be someone out there with a pair of Phantoms just crushing it up into the 90's :beyersmile:
I do 110 too, but that is with Hd800S LoL! In ears probably blow my ears drums
If this is the case I hope you're at least low gaining it @swesko :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :ksc75smile:

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #14,403 of 22,021
Have the AMP8 here with some burn in. On well recorded music, a huge sound stage but not one that loses focus, imaging very good and dynamics like crazy. Layering, excellent. Years ago I played the bass guitar. There is a certain vibration and control to the bass guitar that you hear when playing it that often does not come across in music. The AMP8 gets this. The power does not mean you have a noisy background either. This amp with the IT04 is very quiet. Play time, on battery for the last hour and 67 at high gain and the IT04, 15% used. DX200 warm but about normal. The music is a FLAC 16/44.1. Will try some higher resolution. Oh, and with the Focus Utopia, easily better than the WM1Z.

edit: Playing Blondie, Parallel Lines, Heart of Glass 24/192 FLAC. Wow, goose bumps. lol There is something using this much power into IEM's, full potential, like the sky is the limit for dynamics and contrasts in notes and sounds. Great fun.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #14,404 of 22,021
Us both having Phantoms definitely adds more weight to your impressions. I'll reciprocate on the 4s.

~50 seems pretty quiet but I definitely don't consider my ears barometers for what should be considered safe listening spl's. Anyone that tries my Phantoms ends up listening lower than me but there's gotta be someone out there with a pair of Phantoms just crushing it up into the 90's :beyersmile:

If this is the case I hope you're at least low gaining it @swesko :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :ksc75smile:
Yup low gain of course

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #14,405 of 22,021
Well, I have been listening and owning dx200 for a month precisely. Wow effect has passed. I also own a old colorfly c3. Tried to listen to it. Damn this makes dx200 lifeless. Much better synergy with my Roxanne II and akg 712 pro. Pity return period has passed for me((( Will have to sell my dx 200 20% cheaper now, I think. Wanted to love it, really but too lifeless.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #14,406 of 22,021
Well, I have been listening and owning dx200 for a month precisely. Wow effect has passed. I also own a old colorfly c3. Tried to listen to it. Damn this makes dx200 lifeless. Much better synergy with my Roxanne II and akg 712 pro. Pity return period has passed for me((( Will have to sell my dx 200 20% cheaper now, I think. Wanted to love it, really but too lifeless.
Try swapping the amps, give it a chance

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #14,407 of 22,021
Something not right then. I would do a factory reset etc. The DX200, IMO, is anything but lifeless and this is in comparisons to the best daps on the market from 3600 dollars down.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #14,408 of 22,021
I will try amp 5 that I have to receive in coming days , maybe it helps I think that my headphones have poor synergy with dx200,. Probably need cirrus or ak to shine. Done hard reset numerous times as tried to flash different firmware. If I don't like it with amp 5,will surely sell it. I am not saying it is bad, it may be just my bad perception of music

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #14,409 of 22,021
Something not right then. I would do a factory reset etc. The DX200, IMO, is anything but lifeless and this is in comparisons to the best daps on the market from 3600 dollars down.
I will try amp 5 that I have to receive in coming days , maybe it helps I think that my headphones have poor synergy with dx200,. Probably need cirrus or ak to shine. Done hard reset numerous times as tried to flash different firmware. If I don't like it with amp 5,will surely sell it. I am not saying it is bad, it may be just my bad perception of music

Well, personal preferences would be at plays. Now, my question, lifeless in comparison to what ?

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #14,410 of 22,021

To each his own, you don’t *have* to like it but it would be a shame to base only on AMP1 which I always found too clinical and don’t hang on AK or Cirrus, ESS is pretty capable of doing musical these days...

AMP5 will be a big jump from AMP1, no doubt and more in line with the signature you seem to like :)

Have the AMP8 here with some burn in. On well recorded music, a huge sound stage but not one that loses focus, imaging very good and dynamics like crazy. Layering, excellent. Years ago I played the bass guitar. There is a certain vibration and control to the bass guitar that you hear when playing it that often does not come across in music. The AMP8 gets this. The power does not mean you have a noisy background either. (...)
edit: Playing Blondie, Parallel Lines, Heart of Glass 24/192 FLAC. Wow, goose bumps. lol There is something using this much power into IEM's, full potential, like the sky is the limit for dynamics and contrasts in notes and sounds. Great fun.

You nailed it, I get goosebumps too :)
With AMP8/VE8, Blues has never sounded so good, listening too some Taj Mahal oh my :metal:

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #14,411 of 22,021
To each his own, you don’t *have* to like it but it would be a shame to base only on AMP1 which I always found too clinical and don’t hang on AK or Cirrus, ESS is pretty capable of doing musical these days...

AMP5 will be a big jump from AMP1, no doubt and more in line with the signature you seem to like :)

You nailed it, I get goosebumps too :)
With AMP8/VE8, Blues has never sounded so good, listening too some Taj Mahal oh my :metal:
Sadly it can't make dynamics where they don't exist. I had the LP of Janis Joplin, Pearl and really enjoyed it. I have the 24/192 FLAC and the dynamics are compressed and the sound boxy. A shame they didn't master this right! Other music recorded and then mastered right is a joy.

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #14,413 of 22,021
Yes I will surely wait for amp5 before making final decision. I compared it to my colorfly c3 which surprisely can drive my akg 712 pro better. If not that horrid interface and lack of gap less ..

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #14,414 of 22,021
I would probably like to try something musical such as lotoo paw 5000 mkii. (gold is out of reach in terms of budget

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #14,415 of 22,021
Sadly it can't make dynamics where they don't exist. I had the LP of Janis Joplin, Pearl and really enjoyed it. I have the 24/192 FLAC and the dynamics are compressed and the sound boxy. A shame they didn't master this right! Other music recorded and then mastered right is a joy.

Yeah well, I won’t complain but for sure that’s the flip side it will discriminate... and you crave for more once you have experience well mastered stuff with great source and IEMs / headphones...

This being said with the Phantom or VE8 it won’t be unforgiving to the point of making it unlistenable either It will just miss whatever was screwed up at mastering/recording...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back