DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 28, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #7,981 of 22,021
These filters are a built-in dsp function of ESS Sabre DACs :wink: And if you are playing mp3s and using less resolving iems - you probably won't hear much of a difference.

I'm almost always using FLAC for everything and HD for what bands can be found in, and the most resolving IEMs I generally have. The differences still aren't night and day, even with the most detailed IEMs out there, like say ER4XR, the differences exist, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Wow! Impressive analysis. I hope iBasso presents similar description (guidance) as a part of the manual, like other manufacturers.

ESS has a guide (they make the DACs), and there are tons of tests around that show similar results, but again, the differences are supposed to be pretty small, the rule of thumb is that the more pre and post echo you'll have, the more likely you're to like that sound. Kinda like how folks like the filter setting on iDSD BL to be set to Standard, which will sound like this, and some folks like it on Bit-Perfect which has the minimum filtering usually a Brick Wall.

Sorry, but I can't find a quick reference, but you should be able to, if you look enough.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #7,982 of 22,021
Just received amp3 and I am surprised how good it sounds right out of the box. Compared to amp1 (comparing balanced headphone out) bass to me definitely sounds a little deeper. I am probably not using correct term but amp3 just seems like more fun listening to same music (more musical?). Not sure if soundstage any better at this point. Curious how much better it will sound after more break in. I am anxious for reviews from reviewers that can do a much better job of describing the differences between amp1 and 3.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7,983 of 22,021
Back to the WM1Z and DX200 comparison. With the DX200 using FW 2.3 and in Mango for me, I definitely hear a difference and find the 200 a little more transparent and presents a little more air around voices and instruments. Excellent imaging and layering goes with this and a solid bass foundation.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #7,984 of 22,021
I'm almost always using FLAC for everything and HD for what bands can be found in, and the most resolving IEMs I generally have. The differences still aren't night and day, even with the most detailed IEMs out there, like say ER4XR, the differences exist, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

ESS has a guide (they make the DACs), and there are tons of tests around that show similar results, but again, the differences are supposed to be pretty small, the rule of thumb is that the more pre and post echo you'll have, the more likely you're to like that sound. Kinda like how folks like the filter setting on iDSD BL to be set to Standard, which will sound like this, and some folks like it on Bit-Perfect which has the minimum filtering usually a Brick Wall.

Sorry, but I can't find a quick reference, but you should be able to, if you look enough.
Wow, this is eye (and ear) opening learning. I just assumed less of pre and post echoes should make more natural reference
sound like girls with little make up, and the way default should be...Sorry for a poor metaphor.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #7,985 of 22,021
Apologies if what I'm about to say have been discussed before in this forum.

I just noticed that the line out feature does not work when it is on Mango mode. Hence, I will need to be in android mode if I want to utilise the line out to my car sound system.

Has anybody here experienced the same thing as me?

Many thanks before.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #7,986 of 22,021

I just noticed that the line out feature does not work when it is on Mango mode. Hence, I will need to be in android mode if I want to utilise the line out to my car sound system.

Many thanks before.

How do you use line out into car system ? Your car has Balanced input ? Or are you using 3.5mm line out and not the amp3

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #7,987 of 22,021
How do you use line out into car system ? Your car has Balanced input ? Or are you using 3.5mm line out and not the amp3

I just used a 3.5 to 3.5 male to male jack from the Line out slot in the bottom of the DX200 to the analogue input of my car's head unit.

The thing is, if the DX is in an android mode, the line out will work, but if it is in mango mode, there will be no sound played even if the track is running.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #7,990 of 22,021
Does AMP3 at all improve SPDIF output?
No, spdif is digital out, and located on the top of the device. It has nothing to do with analogue signal which is the amp3.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #7,992 of 22,021

Many thanks before.
Do you have the volume set to 150 for line out when in Mango? We made the line out mode to have a variable output.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #7,993 of 22,021
I see, is SPDIF to hugo chord 2, the best way to connect the two devices?

Yes, it certainly is possible to use it that way. But considering that the DX has a high performance DAC, it would be a waste to use it as a transport only.

Anyway, it is true that the capability of the Hugo should be significantly better than the DX (at least on paper, haven't got the chance to demo), but you can find a transport that infinitely cheaper than the DX200. Shanling?

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #7,994 of 22,021
Do you have the volume set to 150 for line out when in Mango? We made the line out mode to have a variable output.

I forgot, to be honest, as it was several days ago.

I guess it should be maximum volume, as I usually use the line out via Android mode that way (high gain, max volume).

I'll check again and will get back later.

Thanks for replying Paul.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,995 of 22,021
Wow! Impressive analysis. I hope iBasso presents similar description (guidance) as a part of the manual, like other manufacturers.

If you "tap" the ˅ at the end of the filter setting on the display it will open and show you what each fiter does.
serveimage

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back