DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #7,966 of 22,021
I was advised before to stay away from DX200 because of no local importer in my country. But I could not resist. I ordered it with AMP3. I've been enjoying the SQ since then.

A newbie question here. Any default setting or most commonly used setting as to the digital filter? I thought I could hear the differences of each setting but in the end,
No, I got lost. I listen to Rock 50% and jazz 30%. Now my DX200 is set " Slow Roll off, (linear)". It may be a liking issue but helpful to know the ordinary setting, anyway.
Thank you for your advise.

There isn't a great deal of difference but it seems like people like 2 and 5. I normally use 5 but I have read some liking 2 with the AMP3.

Aug 27, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #7,967 of 22,021
Aug 28, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #7,968 of 22,021
Has anyone figured out how to eliminate the annoying static I hear in my A18 when I have wifi connected? It happens only when my wifi is turned on. Or is it just a consequence of CIEMs?

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #7,969 of 22,021
The ideas and reasons behind the filters are really interesting, if pretty technical. But the overall sense I'm getting is that the effect is usually small, very hard to quantify exactly (as if that stops anyone here from arguing about anything), and mostly restricted to dealing with CD quality recordings (44.1 kHz, because half of that is 22.05 kHz which is of course not that far from the audible range) and even the exact filters used in the analogue to digital process.

I stick with filter 2 because while I do not notice a major difference with most IEMs, I do have an exception - my FLC8s. I had defaulted to filter 5, but when I put on QOTSA's Era Vulgaris (CD quality, as mentioned), the sound was very smeared with the FLC8s. Filter 2 showed an immediate and massive improvement, like bringing a picture into focus. I believe the FLC8s does something interesting with the phase of one or both of it's BA drivers, and my guess is this does not play nice with a 'minimum' filter that by design does not preserve phase (/timing of all frequencies).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #7,971 of 22,021
Has anyone figured out how to eliminate the annoying static I hear in my A18 when I have wifi connected? It happens only when my wifi is turned on. Or is it just a consequence of CIEMs?

Wifi has 2 channels 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz. Please use 5 Ghz channel for quiet experience.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #7,972 of 22,021
The ideas and reasons behind the filters are really interesting, if pretty technical. But the overall sense I'm getting is that the effect is usually small, very hard to quantify exactly (as if that stops anyone here from arguing about anything), and mostly restricted to dealing with CD quality recordings (44.1 kHz, because half of that is 22.05 kHz which is of course not that far from the audible range) and even the exact filters used in the analogue to digital process.

I stick with filter 2 because while I do not notice a major difference with most IEMs, I do have an exception - my FLC8s. I had defaulted to filter 5, but when I put on QOTSA's Era Vulgaris (CD quality, as mentioned), the sound was very smeared with the FLC8s. Filter 2 showed an immediate and massive improvement, like bringing a picture into focus. I believe the FLC8s does something interesting with the phase of one or both of it's BA drivers, and my guess is this does not play nice with a 'minimum' filter that by design does not preserve phase (/timing of all frequencies).
So you also stick to 2 or 5. When I played with it this morning and tried factory reset, it showed 5 when it was shipped out from the factory.
Searching for my setting could be a nice weekend project.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #7,973 of 22,021
There isn't a great deal of difference but it seems like people like 2 and 5. I normally use 5 but I have read some liking 2 with the AMP3.
Thank you. I then try 2 and 5. For a newbie with untrained ears like me, the more choice given, the more confused ...Alas
When I played with it too long I end up with some fatigue and feel of lost, i.e., I even don't know which sound I like the best!
My choice on Monday may differ from Friday, very unpredictable me. Good day!

Aug 28, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #7,974 of 22,021
I was advised before to stay away from DX200 because of no local importer in my country. But I could not resist. I ordered it with AMP3. I've been enjoying the SQ since then.

A newbie question here. Any default setting or most commonly used setting as to the digital filter? I thought I could hear the differences of each setting but in the end,
No, I got lost. I listen to Rock 50% and jazz 30%. Now my DX200 is set " Slow Roll off, (linear)". It may be a liking issue but helpful to know the ordinary setting, anyway.
Thank you for your advise.

I have a tendency to like 7 as well..

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #7,975 of 22,021

Hey Ajaxender, Also have a dx200 with flc8s balanced. What are the filters you are using at the moment ? Could be helpful to Share ! At the moment black, grey, gold....what's your ?
Thanks !

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #7,977 of 22,021
That's an interesting choice.and it has an interesting name "Brick Wall" Sounds like it reproduces stronger echoes, not?

In theory, 7 is very similar to 3, but has less echo than it.

1 is really similar as well. They basically have some pre-echo and some post-echo, they are like an enhancement for each musical note.

2 might be the most precise one, with the least post-echo

4 has almost no pre-echo but has some post-echo

6 has no pre-echo, but has some post-echo

The idea is that musical notes look better with this so-called echo, what is basically happening, some of those enhance the texture and sounds a bit so they sound better, it hides some mistakes and things might feel more musical.

Brick walls aren't exactly the most musical types of filters, but they are usually the most precise, same for Fast Roll-Off. Those two basically keep up the sound the same until the very end, after which they roll off. Slow Roll-Off usually means that there is a gentler slope, leading to a more musical sound (to some it sounds more musical)

The differences are EXTREMELY small because iBasso implemented all of them so well, so you shouldn't lose sleep over picking a digital filter, but think about it as if brick wall and fast roll-off are the least enhanced versions, everything else enhancing the music a bit.

I might be confusing them with something else from other devices, it'd be good if we'd have a guide to what exactly each one of them does. I am talking mostly out of experience with digital filters in general, and experience with iDSD BL, which has enhancement properties.

Aug 28, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #7,978 of 22,021

1 is really similar as well. They basically have some pre-echo and some post-echo, they are like an enhancement for each musical note.

The idea is that musical notes look better with this so-called echo, what is basically happening, some of those enhance the texture and sounds a bit so they sound better, it hides some mistakes and things might feel more musical.

Brick walls aren't exactly the most musical types of filters, but they are usually the most precise, same for Fast Roll-Off. Those two basically keep up the sound the same until the very end, after which they roll off. Slow Roll-Off usually means that there is a gentler slope, leading to a more musical sound (to some it sounds more musical)

The differences are EXTREMELY small because iBasso implemented all of them so well, so you shouldn't lose sleep over picking a digital filter, but think about it as if brick wall and fast roll-off are the least enhanced versions, everything else enhancing the music a bit.

I might be confusing them with something else from other devices, it'd be good if we'd have a guide to what exactly each one of them does. I am talking mostly out of experience with digital filters in general, and experience with iDSD BL, which has enhancement properties.

These filters are a built-in dsp function of ESS Sabre DACs :wink: And if you are playing mp3s and using less resolving iems - you probably won't hear much of a difference.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #7,979 of 22,021

Wow! Impressive analysis. I hope iBasso presents similar description (guidance) as a part of the manual, like other manufacturers.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #7,980 of 22,021
So you also stick to 2 or 5. When I played with it this morning and tried factory reset, it showed 5 when it was shipped out from the factory.
Searching for my setting could be a nice weekend project.

Just 2, although now I have Amp 3, and only a balanced cable for my Vegas, so it doesn't really matter to me any more.
The annoying thing about this kind of tiny effect in the audio chain is being aware of what the differences *could* be makes you more likely to perceive them even if they're not really audible - chances are other types of filter have gone on even before (or after) these ones, let alone the kind of filtering used to produce the digital data in the first place. For me, I think I could pick any of the 'linear' ones and not worry about it. I've seen one claim (just on another forum) that 2 is a good general choice and simply having that thought in mind is probably as effective as any actual effect the filters have (besides the odd FLC8c case, or any other IEM using phase differences in tuning).

Hey Ajaxender, Also have a dx200 with flc8s balanced. What are the filters you are using at the moment ? Could be helpful to Share ! At the moment black, grey, gold....what's your ?
Thanks !
Not really the thread for it, but red grey gold. Initially red black gold, until I acclimated to less bass quantity than previous IEMs. Nothing else I've ever tried has swayed me. On topic for the DX200, I actually slightly prefer the FLC8s on the Mojo, but I've not got a balanced cable (yet) to give it a fair run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back